- Volume 22 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Analysis of the Economy and Environment Efficiencies under the Regulation of Fossil Fuel and Carbon Dioxide Emission
화석에너지와 CO2배출량 규제 하의 경제와 환경의 효율성 분석
- Kang, Sangmok (Department of Economics, Pusan National University) ;
- Zhao, Dan (Department of Economics, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2013.04.02
- Accepted : 2013.05.28
- Published : 2013.06.30
The purpose of this paper is to measure economy and environment efficiencies under fossil fuel and environment regulation by countries for 2000-2009. Distinguishing 83 countries with three groups of OECD, upper-middle, and low countries, we compare four models such as environment oriented, economy-oriented, environment-economy oriented, and two-stage types, which include a desirable output, GDP and an undesirable output, pollutant together in the production possibility set. OECD countries relatively showed high economy efficiency and low environment efficiency, whereas Non-OECD countries showed high environment efficiency and low economy efficiency. OECD countries reported a higher possibility to reduce fossil fuel and
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Fei, L,Dong, Suo cheng, and L.Xue, 2011, "Energy Consumption-Economic Growth Relationship and Carbon Dioxide Emissions in China," Energy Policy, Vol.39, Issue 2, pp.568-574. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2010.10.025
- 강상목.정영근.이명헌, 2011.6, "지속가능성장 모형구축과 지속가능성 계측", <환경 정책>제19권 제2호, pp.35-66.
- 정영근.강상목.이준, 2008, "OECD국가의 환경-경제효율성 비교", <자원.환경경제 연구> 제17권 제1호, pp. 121-148.
- Boyd, G.A. and J.D.McClelland, 1999, "The Impact of Environmental Constraints on Productivity Improvement in Integrated Paper Plants," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Vol.38, pp.121-142. https://doi.org/10.1006/jeem.1999.1082
- Chung Y.R., Fare, R., and S.Grosskopf, 1997, "Productivity and Undesirable Output: A Directional Distance Function Approach," Journal of Environmental Management, Vol.51, pp.229-240. https://doi.org/10.1006/jema.1997.0146
- Fare, R., and S. Grosskopf, 2004, New Direction: Efficiency and Productivity, Kluwer Academic Publishers Boston.
- Fare, R., Grosskopf, S., and C.A.Pasurka Jr., 2007, "Environmental Production Functions and Environmental Directional Distance Functions," Energy Economics, Vol.32, pp.1055-1066. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2006.09.005
- Fosund, F. R., 2009, "Good Modeling of Bad Outputs: Pollution and Multiple-Output Production," International Review of Environmental and Resource Economics, Vol.3, pp.1-38. https://doi.org/10.1561/101.00000021
- Kumar, S., 2006, "Environmentally Sensitive Productivity Growth: A Global Analysis Using Malmquist-Luenberger Index," Ecological Economics, Vol.56, pp.280-293. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolecon.2005.02.004
Lo, S.F., Sheu, H.J., and J.L. Hu, 2005, "Taking
$CO_2$Emissions into a Country's Productivity Change: the Asian Growth Experience," International Journal of Sustainable Development and World, Vol.12, pp.279-290. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504500509469638
Lozano, S. and E. Gutierrez, 2008, "Non-parametric Frontier Approach to Modelling the Relationships among Population, GDP, Energy Consumption and
$CO_2$Emission," Ecological Economics, Vol.66, pp.687-699. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolecon.2007.11.003
- Mandal., S.K., 2010, "Do Undesirable Output and Environmental Regulation Matter in Energy Efficiency Analysis? Evidence from Indian Cement Industry," Energy Policy, Vol.38, pp.6076-6083. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2010.05.063
- Wang, Q., Zhou, P., and Zhou, D., 2012, "Efficiency Measurement with Carbon Dioxide Emissions: The case of China," Applied Economics, Vol.90, pp.161-166.
- Zaim, O., and F. Taskin, 2000a, "Environmental Efficiency in Carbon Dioxide Emissions in the OECD: A Non-parametric Approach," Journal of Environmental Management, Vol.58, pp.95-107. https://doi.org/10.1006/jema.1999.0312
- Zaim, O.,and F. Taskin, 2000b, "A Kuznets Curve in Environmental Efficiency: an Application on OECD Countries," Environmental and Resource Economics, Vol.17, pp.21-36. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008318605976
Zofio, J.L. and A.M. Prieto, 2001, "Environmental Efficiency and Regulatory Standards: the Case of
$CO_2$Emissions from OECD Countries," Resource and Energy Economics, Vol.23, pp.63-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0928-7655(00)00030-0
- Zhou, P., Poh, K.L., and B.W. Ang, 2007a, "A Non-radial DEA Approach to Measuring Environmental Performance," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.178, pp.1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2006.04.038
- Zhou, P., Ang, B.W., and K.L.Poh, 2007b, "A Survey of Data Envelopment Analysis in Energy and Environmental Studies," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.189, pp.1-18.
- Zhou, P., Ang, B.W., and K.L. Poh, 2008, "Measuring Environmental Performance under Different Environmental DEA Technologies," Energy Economics, Vol.30, pp.1-14.