- Volume 55 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Agricultural Drought Risk Assessment using Reservoir Drought Index
저수지 가뭄지수를 활용한 농업가뭄 위험도 평가
- 남원호 (서울대학교 농업생명과학연구원) ;
- 최진용 (서울대학교 조경.지역시스템공학부, 농업생명과학연구원) ;
- 장민원 (경상대학교 지역환경기반공학과) ;
- 홍은미 (서울대학교 생태조경.지역시스템공학부)
- Received : 2013.03.25
- Accepted : 2013.04.29
- Published : 2013.05.31
Drought risk assessment is usually performed qualitatively and quantitatively depending on the definition a drought. The meteorological drought indices have a limit of not being able to consider the hydrological components such as evapotranspiration, soil moisture and runoff, because it does not consider the water demand in paddies and water supply in reservoirs. Agricultural drought was defined as the reservoir storage shortage state that cannot satisfy water requirement from the paddy fields. The objectives of this study were to suggest improved agricultural drought risk assessment in order to evaluate of regional drought vulnerability and severity studied by using Reservoir Drought Index (RDI). The RDI is designed to simulate daily water balance between available water from agricultural reservoir and water requirement in paddies and is calculated with a frequency analysis of monthly water deficit based on water demand and water supply condition. The results indicated that RDI can be used to assess regional drought risk in agricultural perspective by comparing with the historical records of drought in 2012. It can be concluded that the RDI obtained good performance to reflect the historical drought events for both spatially and temporally. In addition, RDI is expected to contribute to determine the exact situation on the current drought condition for evaluating regional drought risk and to assist the effective drought-related decision making.
- Ahn, S. R., J. Y. Park, I. K. Jung, S. J. Na, and S. J. Kim, 2009. Hydrological drought assessment of agricultural reservoirs based on SWSI in Geum river basin. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 51(5): 35-49 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2009.51.5.035
- Jang, M. W., H. W. Chung, and K. W. Park, 2003. Development of an agricultural drought evaluation model for administrative decision support. Journal of the Korean Society of Rural Planning 9(2): 29-37 (in Korean).
- Jang, M. W., H. W. Chung, J. Y. Choi, K. W. Park, and B. S. Jong, 2004. Development of a single reservoir agricultural drought evaluation model for paddy. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 46(3): 17-30. https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2004.46.3.017
- Kim, O. K., J. Y. Choi, M. W. Jang, S. H. Yoo, W. H. Nam, J. H. Lee, and J. K. Noh, 2006. Watershed scale drought assessment using soil, oisture index, Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 48(6): 3-13 (in Korean).
- Kim, S. J., K. Y. Lee, and S. J. Kang, 1998. Statistical analysis of irrigation reservoir water supply index. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 40(4): 58-66 (in Korean).
- Lee, D. R., J. W. Moon, D. H. Lee, and J. H. Ahn, 2006. Development of water supply capacity index to monitor droughts in a reservoir. Journal of Korea Water Resources Association 39(3): 199-214 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2006.39.3.199
- Lee, J. H., J. W. Seo, and C. J. Kim, 2012. Analysis on trends, periodicities and frequencies of Korean drought using drought indices. Journal of Korea Water Resources Association 45(1): 75-89 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2012.45.1.75
- Nam, W. H., 2013. Sustainability and operations evaluation of agricultural reservoirs based on probability theory. Ph.D. diss., Seoul National University.
- Nam, W. H., S. H. Yoo, M. W. Jang, and J. Y. Choi, 2008a. Application of meteorological drought indices for North Korea. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 50(3): 3-15 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2008.50.3.003
- Nam, W. H., S. H. Yoo, J. Y. Choi, and M. W. Jang, 2008b. Analysis of autumn drought using soil moisture index. Korea National Committee on Irrigation and Drainage 15(1): 21-33 (in Korean).
- Nam, W. H., J. Y. Choi, S. H. Yoo, and B. A. Engel, 2012a. A real-time online drought broadcast system for monitoring soil moisture index. KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering 16(3): 357-365. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-012-1357-3
- Nam, W. H., J. Y. Choi, S. H. Yoo, and M. W. Jang, 2012b. A decision support system for agricultural drought management using risk assessment. Paddy Water Environ. 10(3): 197-207. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10333-012-0329-z
- Park, K. W., J. T. Kim, U. J. Ju, and Y. J. Lee, 2006. Application of drought indices for agricultural drought evaluation. Korea National Committee on Irrigation and Drainage 13(1): 72-81 (in Korean).
- Park. M. J., H. J. Shin, Y. D. Choi, J. Y. Park and S. J. Kim, 2011. Development of a hydrological drought index considering water availability. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 53(6): 165-170 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2011.53.6.165
- Rosenberg, N. J., 1979. Drought in the great plains - research on impacts and strategies. Proceedings of the Workshop on Research in Great Plains Drought Management Strategies, University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- Development of Operation Rules in Agricultural Reservoirs using Real-Time Water Level and Irrigation Vulnerability Index vol.55, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2013.55.6.077
- Climate Change Impacts on Agricultural Drought for Major Upland Crops using Soil Moisture Model -Focused on the Jeollanam-do- vol.57, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2015.57.3.065
- Water Supply Risk Assessment of Agricultural Reservoirs using Irrigation Vulnerability Model and Cluster Analysis vol.57, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2015.57.1.059
- Evaluation of Water Supply Adequacy using Real-time Water Level Monitoring System in Paddy Irrigation Canals vol.56, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2014.56.4.001
- Uncertainty of Water Supply in Agricultural Reservoirs Considering the Climate Change vol.56, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2014.56.2.011