- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Relationship between Internet Buzz Share and Market Share : Movie Ticket Case
인터넷 언급 점유율과 시장 점유율의 관계 : 영화 티켓 사례
- Received : 2012.11.05
- Accepted : 2013.05.23
- Published : 2013.05.31
In this study, the relationship between movie ticket reservation rates and Internet buzz share is analyzed. The correlations between movie ticket reservation rates and Internet buzz share in blogs, Internet cafes, news site, and Internet video in NAVER which is a representative Internet portal in Korea are analyzed empirically. The results show that there are positive correlations between buzz shares and movie ticket reservation rates. In particular, before movies at the box office, the correlations with Internet video is relatively higher than those of other channels, and after movies at the box office, the correlations with blogs and Internet cafe are relatively higher. Also, we can find that the correlations between Internet buzz shares on movies and movie ticket reservation rates are different depending on time lags and Internet channels.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Bea, J. H., Shin, B. J., and Kim, B. D., "Simultaneous Effect between eWOM and Revenues : Korea Movie Industry," Korea Marketing Association, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 1-23, 2010.
- Dellarocas, C., "The Digitization of Word of Mouth : Promise and Challenges of Online Feedback Mechanisms," Management Science, Vol. 49, No. 10, pp. 1407-1424, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.49.10.1407.17308
- Duan, W., Gu, B., Whinston, Andrew B., "The dynamics of online word-of-mouth and product sales-An empirical investigation of the movie industry," Journal of Retailing Vol. 84, No. 2, pp. 233-242, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretai.2008.04.005
- Eliashberg, J., Shugan, M. S., "Film Critics : Influencers or Predictors?," Journal of Marketing, Vol. 61, No. 2, pp. 68-78, 1997.
- Greg, M. T., "Build the Buzz in the Hive Mind," Journal of Consumer Behaviour, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 64-72, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/cb.158
- Henning-Thurau, T., K. Gwinner, G. Walsh, and Gremler, D., "Electronic Word-Of-Mouth via Consumer-Opinion Platforms : What Motives Consumers to Articulate Themselves on the Internet?," Journal of Interactive Marketing, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 38-52, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/dir.10073
- Hittner, James B. and May, K., "Tests for comparing Dependent Correlations Revisited : A Monte Carlo Study," The Journal of Experimental Education, Vol. 65, No. 3, pp. 257-269, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1080/00220973.1997.9943458
- Kim, J. H., Bae, J. K., and Jeon, H. C., "A Study on the Information Cascades Effects of the Offline WOM and Online Review," Journal of the Korean Operation Research and Management Science Society, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 39-60, 2010.
- Kim, S. H., "The influence of product involvement and knowledge on Internet WOM," The Korean Journal of Advertising, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 257-280, 2003.
- Kim, Y. S., Im, S. H., and Jung, Y. S., "A Comparison Study of the Determinants of Performance of Motion Pictures : A Comparison Study of the Determinants of Performance of Motion Pictures : Art Film vs. Commercial Film," The Korea Contents Association, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 381-393, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2010.10.2.381
- Krauss, J., Nann, S., Simon, D., Fischbach, K., and Gloor, P., "Predicting Movie Success and Academy Awards Through Sentiment and Social Network Analysis," Proc. European Conference on Information Systems(ECIS), Galway, Ireland, June pp. 9-11, 2008.
- Lee, J., "How eWOM Reduces Uncertainties in Decision-making Process : Using the Concept of Entropy in Information Theory," The Journal of Society for e-Business Studies, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 241-256, 2011. https://doi.org/10.7838/jsebs.2011.16.4.241
- Liu, B., Hu, M., and Cheng, J., "Opinion Observer : Analyzing and Comparing Opinions on the Web," Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on WWW, pp. 10-14, 2005.
- Liu, Y., "Word of Mouth for Movies : Its Dynamics and Impact on Box office Revenue," American Marketing Association, Vol. 70, pp. 74-89, 2006.
- Nam, J. S., "Study on Linguistic Patterns of Online Reviews on Movie for the Automatic Classification of Human Opinion," The Linguistic Society of Korea, Vol. 58, No. 1, pp. 75-103, 2010.
- Park, J. W. and Lee, G. O., "A Study on the Effects of the Newspaper Coverage of Motion Pictures on Box Office Performance," Korean society for journalism and communication studies, Vol. 48, No. 6, pp. 62-83, 2004.
- Park, S. H., Song, H. J., and Jung, W. K., "The Determinants of Motion Picture Box Office Performance : Evidence from Korean Movies Released in 2009-2010," Korea Regional Communication Research Association, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 31-258, 2011.
- Park, S. H., "On the Journalistic Characteristics and Social Impacts of Internet Bulletin Board as a Public Opinion Space," Korea Regional Communication Research Association, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 191-226, 2005.
- Renee, D., "The Buzz on Buzz," Harvard Business Review, pp. 139-146, 2000.
- Ryu, C. R., Chin, H. K., and Han, K. S., "Research on the difference of verbal effect on sequences of positive indication and negative indication of verbal message : Based on replies on shopping mall," Daehan Academy of Management Information Systems, Vol. 25, pp. 171-201, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2753/MIS0742-1222250208
- Seshardri, T. and Gerard, J. T., "Does Chatter Really Matter? Dynamics of User-Generated Content and Stock Performance," Marketing Science, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 198-215, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.1110.0682
- Steiger, J. H., "Tests for comparing elements of a correlation matrix," Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 87, pp. 245-251.
- Sunil, W., David, S., Munir, M., and Christine, B. Willians, "Web2.0 and Politics : The 2008 U.S. Presidential Election and an E-Politics Research Agenda," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 34, No. 4, pp. 669-688, 2010. https://doi.org/10.2307/25750700