- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Novel Cogging Torque Reduction Method for Single-Phase Brushless DC Motor
- Park, Young-Un (Department of Electrical Control Engineering, Sunchon National University) ;
- Cho, Ju-Hee (Korean Electronics Technology Institute (KETI)) ;
- Rhyu, Se-Hyun (Korean Electronics Technology Institute (KETI)) ;
- Kim, Dae-Kyong (Department of Electrical Control Engineering, Sunchon National University)
- Received : 2013.01.27
- Accepted : 2013.04.30
- Published : 2013.06.30
Single-phase, brushless DC (BLDC) motors have unequal air-gaps to eliminate the dead-point where the developed torque is zero. Unfortunately, these unequal air-gaps can deteriorate the motor characteristics in the cogging torque. This paper proposes a novel design for a single-phase BLDC motor with an asymmetric notch to solve this problem. In the design method, the asymmetric notches were placed on the stator pole face, which affects the change in permanent magnet shape or the residual flux density of the permanent magnet. Parametric analysis was performed to determine the optimal size and position of the asymmetric notch to reduce the cogging torque. Finite element analysis (FEA) was used to calculate the cogging torque. A more than 28% lower cogging torque compared to the initial model with no notch was achieved.
asymmetric air-gap;asymmetric position notch;cogging torque;single phase brushless DC motor
Supported by : KETEP
- Y. Chen, S. Chen, Z. Q. Zhu, D. Howe, and Y. Y. Ye, IEEE Trans. Magn. 42, 3416 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2006.879437
- Chun-Lung Chiu, Yie-Tome Chen, and Wun-Siang Jhang, IEEE Trans. Magn. 44, 2317 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2008.2000761
- Mohammed Fazil and K. R. Rajagopal. IEEE Trans. Magn. 46, 3928 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2010.2057514
- A. Hamler and B. Hribernik, IEEE Trans. Magn. 32, 1545 (1996). https://doi.org/10.1109/20.497545
- D. R. Huang, T. F. Ying, C. M. Zhou, Y. K. Lin, K. W. Su, and C. I. Hsu, IEEE Trans. Magn. 34, 2075 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1109/20.706802
- K. Bung-Il, Byoung-Yull Yang, Y. Byoung-Yull, P. Seung-Chan, and J. Young-Sun, IEEE Trans. Magn. 37, 3723 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1109/20.952699
- Weizi Wang, Zhigan Wu, Wanbing Jin, and Jianping Ying, IEEE Conference IECON, 1605 (2005).
- S. Ahmed and P. Lefley, International conference EPECS 1 (2009).
- J. De La Ree and N. Boules, IEEE Trans. Industry Appl. 25, 107 (1989). https://doi.org/10.1109/28.18879
- Li Zhu, S. Z. Jiang, and Z. Q. Zhu, IEEE Trans. Magn. 45, 2023 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2008.2011363
- Daohan Wang, Xiuhe Wang, Dongwei Qiao, Ying Pei, and Sang-Yong Jung, IEEE Trans. Magn. 47, 2231 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2011.2144612
- Yubo Yang, Xiuhe Wang, Changqing Zhu, and Chuanzhen Huang, IEEE Conference ICIEA 2325 (2009).
- Bin Zhang, Xiuhe Wang, Ran Zhang, and Xiaolei Mou, ICEMS Conference 3198 (2008).
- Optimal ECO-Design of Permanent Magnet Brushless DC Motor Using Modified Tabu Search Optimizer and Finite Element Analysis vol.20, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4283/JMAG.2015.20.2.161
- Cogging Torque Reduction of Single-Phase Brushless DC Motor With a Tapered Air-Gap Using Optimizing Notch Size and Position vol.51, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2015.2453131