- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Analysis and Depth Estimation of Complex Defects on the Underground Gas Pipelines
- Kim, Jong-Hwa (School of Electronics Engineering, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Kim, Min-Ho (Graduate School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Choi, Doo-Hyun (School of Electronics Engineering, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2012.05.31
- Accepted : 2012.08.11
- Published : 2013.06.30
In this paper, the MFL (magnetic flux leakage) signals of complex defects on the underground gas pipeline are analyzed and their depths are estimated. Since closely-located defects (complex defects) affect each other, accelerate the progress of defection, and are finally combined to one (cluster), it's meaningful to differentiate complex defects from single defects by analyzing their characteristics. Various types of complex defects are characterized and analyzed by defining the safety distance for interference. 26 artificial defects are carved on the pipeline simulation facility (PSF) to analyze the characteristics of complex defect and demonstrate the accuracy of the proposed complex defect estimation. The proposed method shows average length error of 5.8 mm, average width error of 15.55 mm, and average depth error of 8.59%, respectively.
complex defects;cluster;depth estimation;MFL;PSF
- K. Seo, Ph.D. Thesis, Pusan National Univ., Korea (2007).
- J. H. Kim, Ph.D. Thesis, Kyoungpook National Univ., Korea (2011).
- M. H. Kim, Ph.D. Thesis, Kyoungpook National Univ., Korea (2012).
- M. H. Kim, Y. W. Rho, and D. H. Choi, J. Korean Society for Nondestructive Testing 30, 311 (2010).
- M. H. Kim and D. H. Choi, KIGAS 15, 27 (2011).
- S. H. Choi, H. R. Yoo, D. K. Kim, D. J. Park, Y. W. Rho, K. Seo, G. S. Park, D. H. Choi, and S. J. Song, J. Magnetics 15, 199 (2010). https://doi.org/10.4283/JMAG.2010.15.4.199
- Defects detection of gas pipeline near the welds based on self quotient image and discrete cosine transform vol.52, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1134/S1061830916030049
- Estimation of Depth and Length of Defects from Magnetic Flux Leakage Measurements: Verification with Simulations, Experiments, and Pigging data pp.1941-0069, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2016.2631525