- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of Stationary Pole Pieces with Bridges on Electromagnetic and Mechanical Performance of a Coaxial Magnetic Gear
- Jang, Dae-Kyu (Department of Electrical Engineering, Dong-A University) ;
- Chang, Jung-Hwan (Department of Electrical Engineering, Dong-A University)
- Received : 2012.06.05
- Accepted : 2012.09.05
- Published : 2013.06.30
In a coaxial magnetic gear, bridges connecting separate pole pieces are useful for fabrication and also improve mechanical reliability. However, they have a negative influence on electromagnetic performance parameters such as transmission torque and iron loss. This paper investigates the effect of stationary pole pieces connected by bridges on the electromechanical characteristics. The bridge type and thickness are the main parameters influencing the performance of a coaxial magnetic gear. The inner, center, and outer bridge types each show the best performance in terms of different characteristics. However, for any bridge type, an increase in the bridge thickness reduces the overall electromagnetic performance, except for the torque ripple, and improves the overall mechanical performance, including the deformation, von Mises stress, and natural frequency of the stationary part.
a coaxial magnetic gear;torque transmission;modal analysis;von mises stress
Supported by : Dong-A University
- G. Bertotti, IEEE Trans. Magn. 24, 621 (1988). https://doi.org/10.1109/20.43994
- E. Suhir, in Proc. 45th Electronic Components and Technology Conference (ECT), Las Vegas, USA (1995) pp. 266-284.
- K. Atallah, S. D. Calverley, and D. Howe, IEE Proc. Electr. Power Appl. 151, 135 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:20040224
- N. Niguchi, K. Hirata, M. Muramatsu, and Y. Hayakawa, in Proc. XIX International Conference on Electrical Machines (ICEM 2010), Rome, Italy (2010) pp. 1-6.
- N. W. Frank and H. A. Toliyat, IEEE Trans. Magn. 47, 1652 (2011).
- Infinite-stage magnetic clutch for shaft speed amplification vol.231, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/0954406215616654