- Volume 33 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Development of Science Education Program Based on Culturally Responsive Teaching
- Chung, Choong-Duk (Jeju National University) ;
- Kang, Kyung-Hee (Jeju National University)
- Received : 2013.02.05
- Accepted : 2013.04.20
- Published : 2013.05.31
The purpose of this study was to design a development frame for multicultural science program and develop a corresponding program using the frame. This study organized a development frame to design a multicultural science education program based on the culturally responsive teaching theory. This development frame consisted of the elements of purpose, teaching examples, teaching and learning methods, and assessment. This program consisted of the guideline for class teaching courses, reading materials, student worksheet, and teachers' reference materials. Based on this development frame, a multicultural science education program was developed, which was comprised of seven activities for elementary and middle school students. Each activity of the program included the concept and inquiry related to science education. In particular, by connecting the concept of science with the cultural characteristics of various countries, the activity made students aware of cultural diversity and the commonness of science principles. Compared to other subjects, the science education field has not actively undertaken studies on multicultural education. In term of dealing with universal principles, science education is suitable for making students aware of commonness. Accordingly, this gives rise to the need to draw cultural characteristics based on basic studies such as the analysis of science textbooks in various countries and develop culturally responsive programs utilizing the outcomes.
culturally responsive teaching;multicultural science education program;cultural diversity
- Aikenhead, G. S. (1997). Student views on the influence of culture on science. International Journal of Science Education. 19(4), 419-428. https://doi.org/10.1080/0950069970190405
- Asia Economics. http://view.asiae.co.kr. Accessed on 2012. 8. 9.
- Atwater, M. M., Freeman, T. B., Butler, M. B., & Draper-Morris, J. (2010). A case study of science teacher candidates'understanding and actions relayed to the culturally responsive teaching of "other"students. International Journal of Environment and Science Education, 5(3), 287-318.
- Banks, J. A. (2002). An introduction to multicultural education(3rd ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- Banks, J. A. (2007). Educating citizens in a multicultural society(2nd ed.). New York: Teachers College Press.
- Banks, J. A. (2008). An introduction to multicultural education(4th ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- Bennett, C. I. (2007). Comprehensive multicultural education: Theory and practice(6th ed.), Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- Chang, I. S. (2006). Multicultural education in America abd curriculum. The Journal of Curriculum Studies, 24(4), 27-53.
- Cunha, T. B. P. (2011). Teaching science in culturally diverse classrooms: The relevance of multicultural coursework on novice teachers' instructional choice. Doctoral Dissertation, The University of Arizona.
- Duplass, J. A. (2004). Teaching elementary social studies: What every teacher should know. New York: Houghton Mifflin Company
- Eun, J. Y. (2009). A study on a multicultural learning model based on multicultural character development theories. Theory and Research in Citizenship Education, 41(1), 107-139.
- Gay, G. (2004). Curriculum theory and multicultural education, In J. A. Banks & C. A.M. Banks(eds.). Handbook of research on multicultural education(2nd ed., pp. 30-49). San Francisco: Wiley
- Grant, C. A., & Sleeter, C. E. (1985). The literature on multicultural education: Review and analysis. Educational Review, 37(2), 97-118. https://doi.org/10.1080/0013191850370202
- Holocker, A. Y. (2010). A methods study of culturally responsive teaching in science and math classrooms. Doctoral Dissertation, Wilmington University.
- Hong, K, D. (2011). Investigation into the Future Direction of Multicultural Education to Decrease Bias against Multicultural Students: A Case Study of Kwanju Jeonnam Region, The Journal of the Korean Association of Regional Geographers, 17(4), 381-394.
- Irvine, J. J., & Armento, B. J. (2001). Culturally Responsive Teaching - Lesson planning for elementary and middle grades. New York: McGrawHill.
- Kim, H. (2003). Trends and Tasks of Global Education in the U.S. Korean Journal of Comparative Education, 13(2), 41-57.
- Kim, H. J. (2006). History education in multicultural society - A case of BC in Canada. The Research of History Education, 4, 7-46.
- Kim, J. W. (2006). The realities of schooling for migrant worker's children from Mongolia in South Korea. Korean Journal of Sociology of Education, 16(3), 95-129.
- Kim, J. Y. (2012). A study on the contents analysis and improvement of science textbooks for Multicultural education. Master's thesis, Kunkook university.
- Kim, S. M. (2000). The concept of multicultural education and problems acompanied with its adaption to social studies. Social Studies Education, 4, 63-81.
- Kivisto, P. (2001). Introduction: Multicuitural societies and globalization. In P. Kivisto(ed.). Multiculturalism in a global society(1-12). MA: Blackwell Publishing.
- Kwang, G. H., & Yang, Y. J. (2008). Issues of multicultural education contents in Korean society. The Journal of Curriculum Studies, 26(2), 57-85. https://doi.org/10.15708/kscs.26.2.200806.003
- Ladson-Billings, G. (1995). The case for culturally relevant pedagogy. Theory into practice, 34(3), 161-165.
- Lee, H. C., & Ahn, J. H. (2005). The comparative analysis on the illustrations of the elementary science textbooks between Korea and Japan. Elementary Science Education, 24(2), 138-144.
- Lee, H., & Jang, S. (2010). Development and application of elementary science education program for changing students'scientific research ethical views. Elementary Science Education, 29(2), 195-206.
- Lee, Y. H. (2003). 'Reading others'in world history teaching - against eurocentrism and ethnocentrism. The Research of History Education, 86, 29-58.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (2007). Science Curriculum.
- National Youth Policy Institute (2007). The principle of assessment and development for youth. Seoul: Kyoyookbook.
- Oh, K. (2010). Analysis of earth science content of elementary school science textbooks in five Asian countries: for the elementary school children of foreign workers. Master's thesis, Ewha Womans University.
- Parker, W. C. (2001). Social studies in elementary education(11th ed,). Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Park, S. C. (2008). School curriculum policy in multicultural society. The Journal of Elementary Education, 21(2), 1-19.
- Park. Y. K. (2011). Development of multicultural curriculum and lesson plans in elementary social studies. Theory and Research in Citizenship Education, 43(2), 57-90.
- Ramsey, P. G. (2009). Multicultural education for young children. In Banks, J. A. (ed.). The Routledge international companion to multicultural education. London: Routledge.
- Seol, K. J. (2004). The rise of global civil society and the orientation of multicultural citizenship education. Social Studies Education,43(3), 31-54.
- Shim, S., & Choe, Y. (2005). A comparative study on science textbooks for primary and secondary education in Korea and Japan - focusing on the field of physics. Journal of the Korea Association for Research in Science Education, 25(4), 480-493.
- Suh, Y. (2007). A comparative study on elementary science textbooks in Korea and the U.S.: focusing on 3rd grade scientific concepts and inquiry process in ' matter' units. Elementary Science Education, 26(5), 509-524.
- Taylor, P. C. (2011). Counter-storying the grand narrative of science education: Towards culturally responsive teaching. Cultural Studies of Science Education, 6(4), 795-801. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11422-011-9368-9
- Wallace, T., & Brand, B. R. (2012). Using critical race theory to analyze science teachers culturally responsive practices. Cultural Studies of Science Education, 7(2), 341-374. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11422-012-9380-8
- Wittrock, M. C. (1986). Students'thought processes. In Handbook of research on teaching. 3rd ed. Ed. M. C. Wittrock. New York: Macmillan.
- Yang, Y. J. (2008). Directions of curriculum development of multicultural education in Korean society. Doctoral Dissertation, Ewha Womans University.