- Volume 14 Issue 4
Applying Markov Stochastic Process theory, this paper attempts to suggest a tentative model explaining how private information may cause bargaining delay. It is shown that the bargaining delay is critically dependent on the specification of information. It turns out that the delay tends to be longer in bargaining where information is imperfect. This means that bargaining models frequently can have an infinite delay under imperfect information while they have finite delay of bargaining before reaching the agreements if information is perfect. Other interesting result is that bargaining delay may depend on who makes the offer first. And it is also shown that bargaining tends to end earlier if both players (seller and buyer) can make offers in turn than the case where only one side make a offer.
- Admatti, A,R and M, Perry, Strategic delay in Bargaining, Review of Economic Studies, 54, 2, p.345-364, 1987 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/2297563 https://doi.org/10.2307/2297563
- Binmore, K and Nir Vulcan, " Applying the game thoey to automated Negotiation." Netnomics, 1, 1 p. 1-9, 1999
- Crampton, P. C. "Bargaining with Incomplete Information; An Infinite-Horizon Model with Two sided Uncertainty", Review of Economic Studies 51, 4, p. 579-93, 1984. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/2297780 https://doi.org/10.2307/2297780
- Crampton, P.C. "Strategic Delay in Bargaining with Two-sided Uncertainty" Review of Economic Studies, 59,1 P.205-25, 1992 https://doi.org/10.2307/2297934
- Crawford, V. "A Theory of Disagreement in Bargaining" Econometrica 50, 1982.
- Feinberg, Y and Skrzypacz, A. "Uncertainty about Uncertainty and Delay in Bargaining", Econometrica Vol. 73 No.1 Jan. 2005 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0262.2005.00565.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0262.2005.00565.x
- Fudenberg, D. and Tirole, J., " Sequential Bargaining with Incomplete Information", Review of Economic Studies, 1983. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/2297414 https://doi.org/10.2307/2297414
- Heckman, James J. and Singer B. "Econometric Duration Analysis", Journal of Econometrics 24, 1984.
- Kennan, John. "The Duration of Strikes in U.S. Manufacturing" Journal of Econometrics 1985. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0304-4076(85)90064-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-4076(85)90064-8
- Kennan, J. and Robert Wilson, Theories of Bargaining Delay, Science, Sep. 1990,
- Manzini, P and Mariotti M., "Going alone together:joint outside option in bilateral negotiations. The Economic Journal, 114, p.943-960 Oct. 2004 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0297.2004.00250.x
- Myerson, R. B., "Two-Person Bargaining Problems with Incomplete Information", Econometrica 52, 1984.
- Muthoo, Abhinary, A Nontechnical Introduction to Bargaining Theory, World Economics, 1, 2, p.145-66, 2000
- Muthoo, Abhinary, Bargaining Theory with Applications, 2002, Cambridge University.
- Osborne, Martin and Rubistein, Ariel, Bargaining and Markets, 1990, Academic Press.
- Rubinstein, A., "A Bargaining Model with Incomplete Information about Time Preferences" Econometrica 53, 1985.
- Rubinstein, A and Wolinsky, A "Equilibrium in a Market with Sequential Bargaining", Econometrica 53, 1985.
- Sobel, J and Takahasgi, I., "A multistage Model of Bargaining", Review of Economic Studies 1983. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/2297673 https://doi.org/10.2307/2297673
- Sutton, J., "Noncooperative Bargaining Theory: An Introduction" Review of Economic Studies LIII, 1986.
- Taylor, H and Samuel Karlin, An Introduction to Stochastic Modelling, 3rd. Academic Press, 1998.
- Vidal-Puga, J. J. "Delay in the Alternating-offers model of bargaining", IVIE Working paper, 2008 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00182-008-0128-3 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00182-008-0128-3