- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Pathway Analysis on the Influence of Health Promoting Behavior(HPB) and Depression Cognitive Scale(DCS) on Smoking Cessation Thoughts and Intention to Quit Smoking of College Students who Smoke
일개 대학생 흡연자의 금연 생각과 금연의도가 건강증진행위와 우울인지에 미치는 영향에 대한 경로분석
- Kim, Hee-Jeong (Department of Nursing, Namseoul University) ;
- Ju, Se-Jin (Department of Nursing, Namseoul University) ;
- Kim, Gyeong-Suk (Department of Nursing, Namseoul University) ;
- Kim, Mi-Ok (Department of Nursing, Namseoul University) ;
- Mi, Yu (Department of Nursing, Namseoul University) ;
- Choi, Jeong-Hyeon (Department of Nursing, Namseoul University)
- 김희정 (남서울대학교 간호학과) ;
- 주세진 (남서울대학교 간호학과) ;
- 김경숙 (남서울대학교 간호학과) ;
- 김미옥 (남서울대학교 간호학과) ;
- 유미 (남서울대학교 간호학과) ;
- 최정현 (남서울대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2013.01.30
- Accepted : 2013.04.11
- Published : 2013.04.30
This study attempts to set a pathway on smoking cessation behavior and to verify it by an analysis of the students who smoke. The study was performed with an analysis of the data of 160 students at N university. There were statistically significant differences among the students who desired to quit smoking (or who expressed interest in quitting smoking) in the following areas: thoughts about smoking cessation, intention to quit smoking, health promoting behavior (HPB), and depression cognitive scale (DCS) (p<.01). The student's major was also shown to have a statistically significant influence on one's intention to quit smoking (p=.034) and HPB (p=.044). As thoughts about smoking cessation increased, HPB also showed a significant increase (p<.05). Additionally, as HPB scores increased, DCS scores decreased significantly (p<.001), and thoughts about smoking cessation increased, while DCS scores decreased significantly (p=.027). This study confirmed the pathway that the intention to quit smoking influences DCS by mediating the effects of HPB and that thoughts about smoking cessation influence DCS.
- H. R. Song, C. H. Kim, Epidemiology of the smoking-related disease in korea, The Korean Academy of Family Medicine, 29, 563-571, 2008.
- D. M. Burns. Nicotine addition(15th ed) in Harrison's principles of internal medicine. New York: McGraw-Hill. 2001.
- C. D. Mathers, D. Loncar, Projections of global mortality and burden of disease from 2002 to 2030, PLOS Medicine, 3, (11), e442, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.0030442 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.0030442
- H. W. Lee, The effect of campaign message types and involvement on male college student' intention to quit smoking: An application of the theory of planned behavior. Unpublished master's thesis, The Graduate School of Ewha Womans university, Seoul. 2005.
- Korean Association of Smoking & Health, List of Korean youth smoking and actual condition. Retrieved December 10, 2009, From: http://www.kash.or.kr/user_new/psd_wiew.asp.(accessed Sep., 10, 2012)
- H. Y. Ahn, A study of the smoking cessation behavior of university student-based on the theory of planned behavior, self efficacy, health locus of control- Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 7, 371-382, 2001.
- D. J. Hennrikus, R. W. Jeffery, H. A. Lando, The smoking cessation process: Logitudinal observation in a working population, Preventive Medicine, 24, 235-244, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1006/pmed.1995.1039 https://doi.org/10.1006/pmed.1995.1039
- J. D. Sargent, L. A. Mott, M. Stevens, Predictors of Smoking Cessation in adolescents. Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescents Medicine, 152, 388-393, 1988.
- H. R. Choi, J. Y. Kim, K. B. Kim, S. S. Hwang, The smoking patterns in the family physicians. The Korean Academy of Family Medicine, 16, 347-361, 1995.
- S. N. Walker, K. R. Sechrist,, N. J. Pender, The Health Promoting Life Style Profile: Development and psychometric characteristics. Nursing Research, 36, (2), 76-78, 1987. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00006199-198703000-00002 https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-198703000-00002
- World Health Organization, School health and young health promotion, Retrieved December 23, 2008, from http://www.who.int/school_youth_health/en/
- M. R. Song, K. A. Park, An effect of the health education for health promotion on college students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 7, (2), 298-307, 2001.
- Y. H. Kim, M. S. Jong, J. A. Lee, Study on health promoting behavior determinant of nursing students. Korean Society of Public Health Nursing, 16, 285-303, 2002.
- Y. J. Park, S. J. Lee, E. S. Park, H. S. Ryu, J. W. Lee, S. O. Chaun, A meta analysis of explonatory variables of health promotion behavior. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 30, (4), 836-846, 2000. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2000.30.4.836
- K. L. Preston, G. W. Greene, P. A. Irwin, An assessment of college health nursing practice: A wellness perspective, 7, (2), 97-104, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327655jchn0702_6
- E. Y. Do, I. S. Cho, Comparison of perceived health status, health promoting behaviors and depression between korean and foreign students at a women's university, Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, 20, 161-168, 2009.
- J. S. Kim, S. O. Lee, Differences in processes of change, decisional balance, situational temptation and commitment to quitting smoking across the smoking cessation stage change, Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 12, 825-838, 2010.
- T. S. Kim, D. J. Kim, The association between smoking and depression, The Korean Journal of Psychopharmacology, 18, 393-398, 2007.
- N. H. Park, Gender differences in the association between psycho-social factors and smoking drinking in adolescents, Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, 22, 123-136, 2005.
- J. P. Yu, Structural equation model concept and understanding, Seoul: Hannarae Academy, 2012.
- I. Ajzen. From intentions to actions: A theory of planned behavior. In J. kuhl & J. Beckman (Eds), Action control: From cognition to behavior. Heidelberg: Springer, 1985.
- S. N. Walker, D. M. Hill - Polerrcky, Psychometric evaluation of the health promoting life-style profile-II. Unpublished manuscript, University of Nebraska Medical Center, 1996.
- S. Y. Yeun, J. H. Kim, Health promoting behaviors of the women workers at the manufactoring industry: Based on the pender's health promotion model, Korean Journal of Ocupational Health nursing, 8, 130-140, 1999.
- J. A. Zauszniewski. The depressive cognition scale: Further psychometric evaluation, 1997
- E. J. Yeun, Y. M. Kwon. J. A. Kim, Psychometric Testing of the Depressive Cognition Scale in Korean adults, Applied Nursing Research, 25, (4), 264-270, 2011 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2011.04.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2011.04.003
- M. Reuben, A. Kenny, The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological reaearch: conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51, (6), 1173-1182, 1986. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1993 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.523
- J. S. Yoo, A diagnostic study on the variables related to smoking behavior among college students-based the PRECEDE model, The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 13, (2), 266-276, 2007
- T. Y. Hwang, J. J. Lee, K. S. Kang, S. K. Kim, Drinking and its relationship with smoking among university students, Journal of Agricultural Medicine and Community Health, 32, (2), 97-105, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2007.32.2.097 https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2007.32.2.097
- B. Thompson, G. D. Coronado, L. Chen, L. A. Thompson, J. C. Hymer, A. K. Peterson, Preferred smoking policies at 30 Pacific northwest colleges, Public Health Reports, 121, (5), 586-593, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1177/003335490612100514
- M. S. Kim, A study on health-related quality of life, smoking knowledge, smoking attitude, and smoking cessation intention. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 35, 344-352, 2005. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.2.344
- N. H. Park, Effects of an Empowerment Program on Nicotine Dependency, Temptation, Self-esteem, Depression in Adolescents Who Smoke. Journal of Korean Academy Child Health Nursing, 18, (1), 1-8, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2012.18.1.1 https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2012.18.1.1
- S. A. Kang, S. E. Kim, J. M. Kim, M. H. Lee, S. Y. Lee, Y. L. Lee. et al., The article about actual state of smoking among female college students and the relationship among, self-esteem, depression: some universities in Seoul, Journal of Nursing, Ewha, 43, 61-73, 2009.