- Volume 38 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Broken Rice Separation Efficiency of a Laboratory Indented Cylinder Separator
- Kim, Myoung Ho (Department of Bio-industrial Machinery Engineering (Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology), Chonbuk National University) ;
- Park, Seung Je (Department of Bio-industrial Machinery Engineering (Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology), Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2013.05.08
- Accepted : 2013.05.22
- Published : 2013.06.01
Purpose: Using a laboratory indented cylinder separator, broken rice separation experiments were conducted and the characteristics of the separation process were studied to provide information for developing a prototype indented cylinder broken rice separator. Methods: Rice (Ilmi variety) milled in a local RPC was used for the experiment. Rice kernels were classified into four groups according to their length l; whole kernels (I > 3.75 mm), semi-whole kernels (2.5 < I < 3.75 mm), broken kernels (1.75 < I < 2.5 mm), and foreign matters (I < 1.75 mm). A laboratory grain cleaner, Labofix '90 (Schmidt AG, Germany) was used for the experiments. Experiments were designed as a
- Anonymous. 2011. Criteria for the grades and protein contents of rice. Korean Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries. Notice No.2011-131 (In Korean).
- Choi, H. S. 2005. Korean milling technology for rice quality improvement. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Technologies in High Quality Rice Production 89-123 (In Korean).
- Food Agency, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Japan. 1995. Rice post-harvest technology.
- Grochowicz, J. 1980. Machines for cleaning and sorting seeds. Machines for cleaning and sorting seeds.
- Kawamura, S., K. Takekura, J. Himoto. 2006. Development of a system for fine cleaning of rough rice for highquality storage. ASABE Annual Meeting.
- Kim, J. G. 2001. Basic study for the development of a precision broken rice separation process in the RPC. MS thesis. Jeonju, Korea: Chonbuk National University, Department of Bio-industrial Machinery Engineering (In Korean, with English abstract).
- Koh, H. K. et al. 1995. Rice Processing Complex - Theory and Practice. Seoul, Korea: Moonwundang. (In Korean)
- Korea Rice Technical Working Group. 2005. Strategies for Increasing Rice Consumption. Korea Rice Technical Working Group 19. (In Korean).
- Kuprits, Y. N. 1967. Technology of Grain Processing and Provender Milling. Israel Program for Scientific Translations Ltd., Jerusalem, Israel.
- Nguyen, H., K. Goto, R. Yamashita. 1987. Study on separating of shape by using test rice grader (Part 4) - Separating characteristics of rough rice and brown rice by indented cylinder separator. J. of Japanese Society for Agricultural Machinery 49(3):207-216 (In Japanese, with English abstract).
- SAS. 1999. SAS/STAT User's Guide: Statistics. Ver. 8. Cary, NC: SAS Institute, Inc.
- USDA. Agricultural Marketing Service. 1976. Inspection Handbook for the Sampling, Inspection, Grading, and Certification of Rice.
- Yamashita, R., H. Yoshitomi, K. Goto, H. Nguyen. 1979. Study on separating by shape using test rice grader (Part 1) - Analysis of separating mechanism for indent cylinder type. J. of Japanese Society for Agricultural Machinery 41(3):455-461 (In Japanese, with English summary).
- Yoshitomi, H., R. Yamashita, K. Goto, H. Nguyen. 1980. Study on separating of shape by using test rice grader (Part 2) - Factors of separating and catching probability by indent cylinder type. J. of Japanese Society for Agricultural Machinery 41(4):603-609 (In Japanese, with English summary).