- Volume 8 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The effects of body posture by using Baby Carrier in different ways
아기띠 착용 방법이 신체정렬에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Kyoung (Department of Physical Therapy, College of Rehabilitation Science, Daegu University) ;
- Yun, Ki Hyun (Major in Physical Therapy, Department of Rehabilitation Science, Graduate school, Daegu University)
- Received : 2013.03.12
- Accepted : 2013.05.09
- Published : 2013.05.31
PURPOSE: The purpose of this study was to find out variations in body posture by using the baby carrier at the front side and back side. METHODS: Thirty two healthy and young female who will bring up infants and had no musculoskeletal disorders of neck, lumbar and low limb were recruited for this study. They were each marked about ears of tragus, cervical 7th, acromion anterior end, anterior superior iliac spine, posterior superior iliac spine, greater trochanter and lateral malleolus as landmarks to measure variations of body posture when they carry infants at the front side and back side. Landmarks were regarded as the creteria in order to measure NeckFlexion angle(NF), Foreward shoulder angle(FSA), Pelvic tilt(PT), Sway angle(SA), Head displacement(HD) and Scapular displacement(SD). Variations in body posture were measured from the neutral position to the front and back side by using Image J. RESULTS: There were significance level (p<.05) in NF, PT, SA, HD and SD except for FSA in two different side. CONCLUSION: The results of this study indicate that each of the using ways of baby carrier for baby care was influenced postural responses of young women. therefore, it could be considered to apply to women who have abnormal body posture in order to minimize musculoskeletal disorders.
- Al-Khabbaz YS, Shimada T, Hasegawa M. The effect of backpack heaviness on trunk-lower extremity muscle activities and trunk posture. Gait Posture. 2008;28(2):297-302. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2008.01.002
- Anderson AM, Meador KA, McClure LR et al. A biomechanical analysis of anterior load carriage. Ergonomics. 2007;50(12):2104-17. https://doi.org/10.1080/00140130701450195
- Borstad JD, Ludewig PM. The effect of long versus short pectoralis minor resting length on scapular kinematics in heathy individuals. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2005;35:227-38. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2005.35.4.227
- Chow DH, Hin CK, Ou D et al. Carry-over effects of backpack carriage on trunk posture and repositioning ability. International journal of Industrial Ergo. 2011;41(5):530-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ergon.2011.04.001
- Cleland CL, Tully MA, Kee F et al. The effectiveness of physical activity interventions in socio-economically disadvantaged communities. Preventive Medicine. 2012;54(6):371-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2012.04.004
- Finley MA, Lee RY. Effect of sitting posture on 3-dimentsional scapular kinematics measured by skin-mounted electromagnetic tracking sensors. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2003;84(4):563-8. https://doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2003.50087
- Goon-chang Yuk, PT, MS, Rae-joon Park, PT, PhD1, Hyun-young Lee, OT, et al. The Effects of Baby Carrier and Sling in Muscle Activation of Trunk, Low Extremity and Foot Pressure. Journal of the Korean Society of Physical Medicine. 2010;5(2):223-31.
- Jong-sung Chang, PT, PhD, Sang-yeol Lee, PT, PhD, Myoung-hee Lee, PT, PhD. The Effects of EMG activation of Neck, Lumbar and Low Limb by Using Baby Carrier with Arms during Walking. Journal of the Korean Society of Physical Medicine. 2010;5(3):323-30.
- Kebaetse M. Thoracic position effect on shoulder range of motion, strength, and three-dimensional scapular kinematics. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1999;80(8):945-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(99)90088-6
- Kendall FP, Kendall H, Boynton DA. Posture and pain. Baltimore. Williams and Wilkins. 1952.
- Kim K, Kim YH, Lee SK. Increase of load-carrying capacity under follower load generated by trunk muscles in lumbar spine. Proc Inst Mech Eng H. 2007;221(3):229-35. https://doi.org/10.1243/09544119JEIM229
- Knapik JJ, Reynolds KL, Harman E. Soldier load carriage: historical, physiological, biomechanical and medical aspects. MilMed. 2004;169(1):45-56.
- Korovessis P, Koureas G, Zacharatos S et al. Backpacks, back pain, sagittal spinal curves and trunk alignment in adolescents: a logistic and multinomial logistic analysis. Spine. 2005;30(2):247-55. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000150505.59690.1b
- Kuo YL, Tully EA, Galea MP. Video based measurement of sagittal range of spinal motion in young and older adults. Manual Therapy. 2009;14(6):618-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2008.12.006
- Lee, Sang-Yeol, Lee, Myoung-Hee. The Effects of Plantar Foot Pressure and EMG Activation of Neck, Lumbar and Low by Using Carrier during Walking. Korean Jounal of Sport Biomechanies. 2009;19(2):237-44. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2009.19.2.237
- Ludewig PM, Cook TM. The effect of head position on scapular orientation and muscle activity at selected positions humeral elevation. J Orthop Rehabil. 1996;6:147-58.
- Magora A. Investigation of the relation between low back pain and occupation.IV. Physical requirement: Bending, rotation, reaching and sudden maximal effort. Scandinavia journal Rehabilitation Medicine. 1973;5(4):186-90.
- Motmans RR, Tomlow S, Vissers D. Trunk muscle activation in different modes of carrying schoolbags. Ergonomics. 2006;49(2):127-38. https://doi.org/10.1080/00140130500435066
- Orloff HA, Rapp CM. The effects of load carriage on spine curvature and posture. Spine. 2004;29(12):1325-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.BRS.0000127185.74191.B1
- Patwardhan AG, Havey RM, Ghanayem AJ et al. Load-carrying capacity of the human cervical spine in compression is increased under a follower load. spine. 2000;25(12):1548-54. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200006150-00015
- perry M, smith A, straker L et al. Reliability of sagittal photographic spinal posture assesment in adolescents. Advances in physical therapy. 2008;10(2):66-75.
- Roddey T, Olson S, Grant S. The effect of pectoralis muscle stretching on resting position of the scapula in persons with varying degrees of forward head/rounded shoulder posture. J Man Manupulative Ther. 2002;10(3):124-8. https://doi.org/10.1179/106698102790819247
- Sahrmann S. Diagnosis and treatment of movement impairment syndromes. St Louis. Mosby. 2001.
- Steele E, Bialocerkowski A, Grimmer K. The postural effect of load carriage on young people-a systematic review. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2003;4:12. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2474-4-12
- Szeto GPY, Straker L, Raine S. A field comparison of neck and shoulder postures in symptomatic and asymptomatic office workers. Appl Ergon. 2002;33(1):75-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-6870(01)00043-6
- Thigpen CA, Padua DA, Michener LA et al. Head and shoulder posture affect scapular mechanics and muscle activity in overhead tasks. Journal of electromyography and kinesiol. 2010;20(4):701-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2009.12.003
- Wall-Scheffler CM. Geuger K, Steudel-Numbers KL. Infant carrying: The role of increased locomotory costs in early tool development. American Journal of Physical Anthropology. 2007;133(2):841-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajpa.20603
- A Survey on the Purchase and Use of Baby Carriers vol.26, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5934/kjhe.2017.26.3.213
- Evaluation of Wear Satisfaction and Subjective Fatigue for Developing a Baby Carrier vol.26, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5934/kjhe.2017.26.4.313
- Alteration of the Spine Shape Depending on the Wearing Method and Type of Baby Carrier vol.26, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5934/kjhe.2017.26.5.435
- Baby carriers: a comparison of traditional sling and front-worn, rear-facing harness carriers vol.60, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/00140139.2016.1168871
- Type and wearing method-dependent COP and muscle fatigue measurement of baby carriers for the development of smart baby carriers vol.30, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCST-11-2017-0178