- Volume 23 Issue 1
Objectives : The purpose of this study is to systematically analyze the effect of Tai Chi as therapeutic exercise on depressing blood pressure. Methods : We reviewed articles published in the PubMed, Chinese Academic Journals(CAJ) and five Korean databases. The searching keywords were "Tai chi AND blood pressure" and "Tai chi AND hypertension". We evaluated the quality with Cochrane risk of bias tool. Results : In the 114 articles searched, 7 randomized controlled clinical trials were selected. Yang(楊) style Tai chi, exercising over 30 minutes a time and over three times a week, had an effect on decreasing blood pressure. However, Wu(吳) style Tai chi was not effective in decreasing blood pressure. Conclusions : Usual exercises for hypertension patients should be performed in the form of moderate exercises intensity for 10-26 weeks by 30-60 minute a time, over 3 times a week. The study of Tai Chi on blood pressure needs to follow this criteria in the future.
Tai Chi;Blood Pressure;Hypertension;Systematic review
- 국민건강보험 건강in. 의원급 만성질환관리제 안내. URL:http://medi.nhic.or.kr/wget_0510_r.jsp?boardId=20912&communityId=B0016 (2012.10.20. 검색)
- 노호성, 김현수. 고혈압환자에 대한 운동요법의 유용성. 한국생활환경학회지. 2000;7(2):1-8.
- 성동준, 소위영, 박혜미, 차광석. 운동과 고혈압 : 운동에 의한 산화질소 생성과 혈관 확장에 대한 종설. 한국생활환경학회지. 2010;17(2): 181-90.
- Dalusung-Angosta A. The impact of Tai Chi exercise on coronary heart disease: a systematic review. J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2011;23(7): 376-81. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2011.00597.x
- Yeh GY, Wang C, Wayne PM, Phillips R. Tai chi exercise for patients with cardiovascular conditions and risk factors: A systematic review. J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev. 2009;29(3): 152-60. https://doi.org/10.1097/HCR.0b013e3181a33379
- Yeh GY, Wang C, Wayne PM, Phillips RS. The effect of tai chi exercise on blood pressure: a systematic review. Prev Cardiol. 2008;11(2):82-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-7141.2008.07565.x
- Lee MS, Lee EN, Kim JI, Ernst E. Tai chi for lowering resting blood pressure in the elderly: a systematic review. J Eval Clin Pract. 2010; 16(4):818-24. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2753.2009.01210.x
- 한국보건의료연구원. NECA 체계적 문헌고찰 매뉴얼. 서울:한국보건의료연구원. 2011:211-4.
- 9. Caminiti G, Volterrani M, Marazzi G, Cerrito A, Massaro R, Arisi A, Franchini A, Sposato B, Rosano G. Tai chi enhances the effects of endurance training in the rehabilitation of elderly patients with chronic heart failure. Rehabil Res Pract. Rehabil Res Pract. 2011;2011:761958.
- Barrow DE, Bedford A, Ives G, O'Toole L, Channer KS. An evaluation of the effects of Tai Chi Chuan and Chi Kung training in patients with symptomatic heart failure: a randomised controlled pilot study. Postgrad Med J. 2007;83(985):717-21. https://doi.org/10.1136/pgmj.2007.061267
- Wolf SL, O'Grady M, Easley KA, Guo Y, Kressig RW, Kutner M. The influence of intense Tai chi training on physical performance and hemodynamic outcomes in transitionally frail, older adults. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2006;61(2):184-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/61.2.184
- Mao Hong-ni, Sha Peng. Effect of Tai Chi exercise on blood pressure, plasma nitrogen monoxidum and endothelin in hypertensive patients. Chin J Clin Rehabil. 2006;10(48): 65-7.
- Thomas GN, Hong AW, Tomlinson B, Lau E, Lam CW, Sanderson JE, Woo J. Effects of Tai Chi and resistance training on cardiovascular risk factors in elderly Chinese subjects: a 12-month longitudinal, randomized, controlled intervention study. Clin Endocrinol. 2005;63(6):663-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2265.2005.02398.x
- Tsai JC, Wang WH, Chan P, Lin LJ, Wang CH, Tomlinson B, Hsieh MH, Yang HY, Liu JC. The beneficial effects of Tai Chi Chuan on blood pressure and lipid profile and anxiety status in a randomized controlled trial. J Altern Complement Med. 2003;9(5): 747-54. https://doi.org/10.1089/107555303322524599
- Channer KS, Barrow D, Barrow R. Changes in haemodynamic parameters following Tai Chi Chuan and aerobic exercise in patients recovering from acute myocardial infarction. Postgrad Med J. 1996;72:349-351. https://doi.org/10.1136/pgmj.72.848.349
- 황의형, 양창섭. 의료기공입문 - 기공과 태극권의 이해 및 실습-. 부산:부산대학교출판부. 2012:34, 49-55.
- Lan C, Chen SY, Wong MK, Lai JS. Tai Chi training for patients with coronary heart disease. Med Sport Sci. 2008;52:182-94. https://doi.org/10.1159/000134299
- Pan L, Yan J, Guo Y, Yan J. Effects of Tai Chi training on exercise capacity and quality of life in patients with chronic heart failure: a meta-analysis. Eur J Heart Fail. 2012 Oct 25. [published online]
- American College of Sports Medicine. ACSM's Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription (8th ed.). Philadelphia, PA:Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins. 2009.
- Fagard RH. Exercise characteristics and the blood pressure response to dynamamic physical training. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2001;33:1229-33.
- Taylor-Piliae, R. E. Tai chi as an adjunct to cardiac rehabilitation exercise training. J Cardiopul Rehab. 2003;23(2):90-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008483-200303000-00004
- Fontana, J. A. The energy costs of a modified form of Tai Chi Exercise. Nursing Research. 2000;49(2):91-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-200003000-00005
- 陳小旺 저, 김완희, 박종구 역. 진소왕태극권 I. 서울:도서출판 밝은빛. 2006:54-72.