- Volume 26 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Milk Production, Milk Composition, Live Weight Change and Milk Fatty Acid Composition in Lactating Dairy Cows in Response to Whole Linseed Supplementation
- Suksombat, Wisitiporn (School of Animal Production Technology, Institute of Agricultural Technology, Suranaree University of Technology, University Avenue) ;
- Meeprom, Chayapol (School of Animal Production Technology, Institute of Agricultural Technology, Suranaree University of Technology, University Avenue) ;
- Mirattanaphrai, Rattakorn (School of Animal Production Technology, Institute of Agricultural Technology, Suranaree University of Technology, University Avenue)
- Received : 2013.01.11
- Accepted : 2013.03.12
- Published : 2013.08.01
The objective of this study was to determine the effects of whole linseed supplementation on performances and milk fatty acid composition of dairy cows. Thirty six Holstein Friesian crossbred lactating dairy cows were blocked by milking days first and then stratified random balanced for milk yields and body weight into three groups of 12 cows each. The control group received 300 g of palm oil. The second group was supplemented with 344 g/d of top-dressed whole linseed plus 150 g of palm oil and the third group was supplemented with 688 g/d of top-dressed whole linseed. All cows also received ad libitum grass silage (Brachiaria ruziziensis), had free access to clean water and were individually housed in a free-stall unit and individually fed according to treatments. Residual feeds were collected on 2 consecutive days weekly and at the end of the experiment. Feed samples were pooled to make representative samples for proximate and detergent analyses. Daily milk yields were recorded. Milk samples were collected on 2 consecutive days weekly. Live weights were recorded at the start and at the end of the experiment. Milk samples were taken on d 56 of the experiment and subjected to milk fatty acid composition. The results showed no statistical significant differences in intakes, live weight change, milk yields and milk compositions, however, C18:1, C18:3 and unsaturated FAs were increased while saturated FAs were reduced by whole linseed supplementation. It is recommended that the addition of 300 g/d oil from whole linseed could be beneficial to lactating dairy cows in early lactation.
- Allen, M. S. 2000. Effects of diet on short-term regulation of feed intake by lactating dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 83:1598-1624. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(00)75030-2
- Association of official analytical chemists, 1998. Official Method of Analysis. Washington DC.
- Berner, L. A. 1993. Roundtable discussion on milkfat, dairy foods, and coronary heart disease risk. J. Nutr. 123:1175-1184.
- Brouwer, I. A., M. B. Katan, and P. L. Zock. 2004. Dietary alpha-linolenic acid is associated with reduced risk of fatal coronary heart disease, but increased prostate cancer risk: a meta-analysis. J. Nutr. 134:919-922.
- Chilliard, Y., F. Glasser, A. Ferlay, L. Bernard, J. Rouel, and M. Doreau. 2007. Diet, rumen biohydrogenation and nutritional quality of cow and goat milk fat: A review. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol. 109:828-855. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejlt.200700080
- De Stefani, E., H. Deneo-Pellegrini, P. Boffetta, A. Ronco, and M. Mendilaharsu. 2000. Alpha-linolenic acid and risk of prostate cancer: a case-control study in Uruguay. Cancer Epidem. Biomark. Preven. 9:335-338.
- Dhiman, T. R., L. D. Satter, M. W. Pariza, M. P. Galli, K. Albright, and M. X. Tolosa. 2000. Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) content of milk from cows offered diets in linoleic acid. J. Dairy Sci. 83:1016-1027. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(00)74966-6
- Doreau, A., A. Belot, J. Bastid, B. Riche, M. C. Trescol-Biemont, B. Ranchin, N. Fabien, P. Cochat, C. Pouteil-Noble, P. Trolliet, I. Durieu, J. Tebib, B. Kassai, S. Ansieau, A. Puisieux, J. F. Eliaou, and N. Bonnefoy-Berard. 2009. Interleukin 17 acts in synergy with B cell-activating factor to influence B cell biology and the pathophysiology of systemic lupus erythematosus. Nat. Immunol. 10:778-785. https://doi.org/10.1038/ni.1741
- Fuentes, M. C., S. Calsamiglia, C. Sanchez, A. Gonzalez, J. R. Newbold, J. E. P. Santos, L. M. Rodriguez-Alcala, and J. Fontecha. 2008. Effect of extruded linseed on productive and reproductive performance of lactating dairy cows. Livest. Sci. 113:144-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.03.005
- Glasser, F., A. Ferlay, and Y. Chilliard. 2008. Oilseed lipid supplements and fatty acid composition of cow milk: a meta-analysis. J. Dairy Sci. 91:4687-4703. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-0987
- Gonthier, C., A. F. Mustafa, R. Berthiaume, H. V. Petit, R. Martineau, and D. R. Ouellet. 2004. Effects of feeding micronized and extruded flaxseed on ruminal fermentation and nutrient utilization by dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 87:1854-1863. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)73343-3
- Gonthier, C., A. F. Mustafa, D. R. Ouellet, P. Y. Chouinard, R. Berthiaume, and H. V. Petit. 2005. Feeding micronized and extruded flaxseed to dairy cows: Effects on blood parameters and milk fatty acid composition. J. Dairy Sci. 88:748-756. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72738-7
- Hara, A., and N. S. Radin. 1978. Lipid extraction of tissues with a low-toxicity solvent. Anal. Biochem. 90:420-424. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(78)90046-5
- Kennelly, J. J. 1996. The fatty acid composition of milk fat as influeneced by feeding oilseeds. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 60: 137-152. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(96)00973-X
- Kennelly, J. J., and G. R. Khorasani. 1992. Influence of flaxseed feeding on fatty acid composition on cow's milk. In: Proc. 54th Flax Inst. Conf. North Dakota State Univ. Fargo. pp. 99-105.
- Khorasani, R. G., and J. J. Kennelly. 1994. Influence of flaxseed on the nutritional quality of milk. Pages 127-134 in J. Proc. 55th Flax Inst. Conf. F. Carter, ed. North Dakota State Univ. Fargo.
- Martin, C., J. Rouel, J. P. Jouany, M. Doreau, and Y. Chilliard. 2008. Methane output and diet digestibility in response to feeding dairy cows crude linseed, extruded linseed or lionseed oil. J. Anim. Sci. 86:2642-2650. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0774
- Massaro, M., M. A. Carluccio, and R. De Caterina. 1999. Direct vascular antiatherogenic effects of oleic acid: a clue to the cardioprotective effects of the Mediterranean diet. Cardiologia 44:507-513.
- Moallem, U. 2009. The effects of extruded flaxseed supplementation to high-yielding dairy cows on milk production and milk fatty acid composition. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 152:232-242. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2009.04.018
- Mustafa A. F., P. Y. Chouinard, and D. A. Christensen. 2002. Effect of micronization of flaxseed on nutrient disappearance in the gastrointestinal tract of steer. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 95: 123-132. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(01)00337-6
- Nash, D. M., R. M. G. Hamilton, and H. W. Hulan. 1995. The effect of dietary herring meal on the omega-3 fatty acid content of plasma and egg yolk lipids of laying hens. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 75:247-253. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas95-036
- Onetti, S. G., and R. R.Grummer. 2004. Response of lactating cows to three supplemental fat sources as affected by forage in the diet and stage of lactation: a meta-analysis of literature. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 115:65-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2004.02.009
- Ostrowska, E., F. R. Dunshea, M. Muralitharan, and R. F. Cross. 2000. Comparison of Silverion high performance liquid chromatographic quantification of free and methylated conjugated linoleic acid. Lipids 35: 147-1153.
- Parodi, P. W. 1997. Milk fat conjugated fatty acid: Can it help prevent breast cancer? Proc. Nutr. Soc. NZ. 22:137-149.
- Petit, H. V. 2002. Digestion, milk production, and blood composition of dairy cows fed whole flaxseed. J. Dairy Sci. 85:1482-1490. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(02)74217-3
- Petit, H. V., and C. Benchaar. 2007. Milk production, milk composition, blood composition, and conception rate of transition dairy cows fed different fat sources. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 87:591-600. https://doi.org/10.4141/CJAS07027
- Petit, H. V., and N. Gagnon. 2009. Milk concentrations of the mammalian lignans enterolactone and enterodiol, milk production, and whole tract digestibility of dairy cows fed diets containing different concentrations of flaxseed meal. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 152:103-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2009.04.004
- Petit, H. V., and C. Cortes. 2010. Milk production and composition, milk fatty acid profile, and blood composition of dairy cows fed whole or ground flaxseed in the first half of lactation. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 158:36-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2010.03.013
- Petit, H. V., R .J. Dewhurst, J. G. Proulx, M. Khalid, W. Haresign, and H. Twagiramungu. 2001. Milk production, milk composition and reproductive function of dairy cows fed different fats. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 81:263-271. https://doi.org/10.4141/A00-096
- Petit, H. V., R. J. Dewhurst, N. D. Scollan, J. G. Proulx, M. Khalid, W. Haresign, H. Twagiramungu, and G. E. Mann. 2002. Milk production and composition, ovarian function and prostaglandin secretion of dairy cows fed omega-3 fats. J. Dairy Sci. 85: 889-899. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(02)74147-7
- Petit, H. V., C. Germiquet, and D. Lebel. 2004. Effect of feeding whole, unprocessed sunflower seeds and flaxseed on milk production, milk composition and prostaglandin secretion in dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 87:3889-3898. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)73528-6
- Petit, H. V., M. Ivan, and P. S. Mir. 2005. Effects of flaxseed on protein requirements and N excretion of dairy cows fed diets with two protein concentrations. J. Dairy Sci. 88:1755-1764. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72850-2
- Petit, H. V., N. Gagnon, P. S. Mir, R. Tsao, and S. W. Cui. 2009. Milk concentration of the mammalian lignan enterolactone, milk production, milk fatty acid profile, and digestibility in dairy cows fed diets containing whole flaxseed or flaxseed meal. J. Dairy Res. 76:257-264. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022029909003999
- Ramon, J. M., R. Bou, S. Romea, M. E. Alkiza, M. Jacas, J. Ribes, and J. Oromi. 2000. Dietary fat intake and prostate cancer risk: a case-control study in Spain. Cancer Causes Control: CCC 11: 679-685. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008924116552
- Schingoethe, D. J., M. J. Brouk, K. D. Lightfield, and R. J. Baer. 1996. Lactational responses of daily cows fed unsaturated fat from extruded soy beans or sunflower seeds. J. Dairy Sci. 79: 1244-1249. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(96)76477-9
- Secchiari, P., M. Antongiovanni, M. Mele, A. Serra, A. Buccioni, G. Ferruzzi, F. Paoletti, and F. Petacchi. 2003. Effect of kind of dietary fat on the quality of milk fat from Italian Friesian cows. Livest. Prod. Sci. 83:43-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(03)00043-5
- Simon, J. A., Y. H. Chen, and S. Bent. 2009. The relation of alpha-linolenic acid to the risk of prostate cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am. J. Clinic. Nutr. 89:1558S-1564S. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.2009.26736E
- Simopoulos, A. P. 1996. The role of fatty acids in gene expression: health implications. Ann. Nutr. Metab. 40:303-311. https://doi.org/10.1159/000177929
- Soita H. W., J. A. Meier, M. Fehr, P. Yu, D. A. Christensen, J. J. Mckinon, and A. F. Mustafa. 2003. Effects of flaxseed supplementation on milk production, milk fatty acid composition and nutrient utilization by lactating dairy cows. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 57:107-116. https://doi.org/10.1080/0003942031000107334
- Statistical Analysis System, 1996. SAS User' Guide: Statistics. NC: SAS Institute.
- Steel, R .G. D., and J. H. Torrie. 1980. Principles and Procedures of Statistics: a biometeric approach (2nd Ed). McGrowhill: New York.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson, and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber and non-starch polysaccharides in relation to animal production. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Ward, A. T., K. M. Wittenberg, and R. Przybylski. 2002. Bovine milk fatty acid profiles produced by feeding diets containing solin, flax and canola. J. Dairy Sci. 85:1191-1196. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(02)74182-9
- Wright, T., B. McBride, and B. Holub. 1998. Docosahexaenoic acid enriched milk. World Rev. Nutr. Diet. 83:160-165. https://doi.org/10.1159/000059660
- Composition and fatty acid profile of milk from cows supplemented with pressed oilseed cake vol.87, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12571
- Effects of Replacing Pork Back Fat with Canola and Flaxseed Oils on Physicochemical Properties of Emulsion Sausages from Spent Layer Meat vol.29, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.1050
- Treatment and post-treatment effects of dietary supplementation with safflower oil and linseed oil on milk components and blood metabolites of Canadian Holstein cows vol.46, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.2017.1422256