- Volume 8 Issue 4
In this paper, Secant method is proposed to solve multi area economic dispatch (MAED) problem. Generator limits of all generators in each area are calculated at given area power demands plus export (or import) using secant method and the generator limits of all generators are modified as modified generator limits. Central economic dispatch (CED) problem is used to determine the output powers of all generators. Here, Secant method is applied to solve the CED problem. The proposed approach has been tested on two-area (two generators in each area) system and four-area (four generators in each area) system. It is observed from various cases that the proposed approach provides optimally best solution in terms of cost with tie line loss with less computational burden.
Tie line limits;Export;Import and multi area economic dispatch
- Lingfeng Wang, Chanan Singh, "Reserve constrained multi-area environmental/economic dispatch based on particle swarm optimization with local search". Eng Appl Artif Intel 2009;22:298-307. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engappai.2008.07.007
- Azadani E Nasr, Hosseinian SH, Moradzadeh B. Generation and reserve dispatch in a competitive market using constrained particle swarm optimization. Electr Power Energy Syst 2010;32:79-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2009.06.009
- Manisha Sharma, Manjaree Pandit, Laxmi Srivastava, "Reserve constrained multi-area economic dispatch employing differential evolution with time-varying mutation", Electrical Power and Energy Systems 33 (2011) 753-766. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2010.12.033
- K. Chandram, N. Subrahmanyam and M. sydulu "Secant method for Economic Dispatch with Generator Constraints and Transmission Losses", Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, Korea Institute of Electrical Engineers, Volume 3, No 1 Page 52-59, 2008. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2008.3.1.052
- K. Chandram, N. Subrahmanyam and M. sydulu "Root finding techniques for Economic Dispatch problems" Power Engineering Society General Meeting, 24-28 July 2008.
- C.K.Pang, G. B. Sheble, and F. Albuyeh, "Valuation of dynamic programming based methods and multiple area representation for thermal unit commitments', IEEE Trans. Power Appar. Syst., 1981, PAS-100, (3), pp. 1212-1218. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAS.1981.316592
- LEE, F.N., HUANG, J., and ADAPA, R.: 'Multi-area unit commitment via sequential method and a DC power flow network model', IEEE Trans. Power Syst., 1994, 9, (l), pp. 279-287. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.317600
- R.R. Shoults, S.K. Chang, S. Helmick, W.M. Grady, "A Practical Approach to Unit Commitment, Economic Dispatch and Savings Allocation for Multiple-Area Pool Operation with Import/Export Constraints" IEEE Trans. on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. PAS-99, No.2, pp.625-635, 1980 https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAS.1980.319654
- K.W. Doty, P.L. McEntire, "An Analysis of Electric Power Brokerage Systems", IEEE Trans. on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. PAS-101, No. 2, pp.389-396, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAS.1982.317119
- Helmick SD, Shoults RR. A practical approach to an interim multi-area economic dispatch using limited computer resources. IEEE Trans Power Apparatus Syst 1985;104(6):1400-4.
- Wang C, Shahidehpour SM. A decomposition approach to non-linear multiarea generation scheduling with tie-line constraints using expert systems. IEEE Trans Power Syst 1992;7(4):1409-18. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.207362
- Wernerus J, Soder L. Area price based multi-area economic dispatch with tieline losses and constraints. In: IEEE/KTH Stockholm power tech conference, Sweden; 1995. p. 710-15.
- D. Streiffert, "Multi-Area Economic Dispatch with Tie Line Constraints", IEEE Trans. On Power Systems, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp.1946-1651, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.476062
- J. Fan and L. Zhang, "Real-time economic dispatch with line flow and emission constraints using quadratic programming," IEEE Trans. Power Systems, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 320-325, May 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.667345
- T. Yalcinoz and M. J. Short, "Neural Networks Approach for Solving Economic Dispatch Problem with Transmission Capacity Constraints", IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 13, No. 2, May 1998 page 307-313. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.667341
- T. Jayabarathi, G. Sadasivam, V. Ramachandran, "Evolutionary Programming based Multiarea Economic Dispatch with Tie Line Constraints", Electrical Machines and Power Systems, Taylor and francis pp. 1165-1176, 2000.
- Chun-Lung Chen and Nanming Chen, "Direct Search Method for Solving Economic Dispatch Problem Considering Transmission Capacity Constraints" IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 16, No. 4, November 2001, page 764-769.
- Zhu, J. Z. "Multi-area power systems economic power dispatch using a nonlinear optimization neural network approach", Electric Power Components and Systems, Vol. 31, No. 6, pp. 553-563, (2003). https://doi.org/10.1080/15325000390208101
- P. S. Manoharan, P. S. Kannan, V. Ramanathan, "A Novel EP Approach for Multi-area Economic Dispatch with Multiple Fuel Options", Turkey Journal of Electrical Engg. & computer Science, Vol. 17. No. 1 2009.
- Prasanna. T. S, Somasundaram. P, "Multi-Area Security Constrained Economic dispatch by Fuzzy- Stochastic algorithms",Journal of theoretical and applied information technology, 2005-2009 JATIT.
- Wood AJ, Wollenberg BF, "Power generation, operation and control". John Wiley & Sons; 1984.
- D. Walters, GB. Sheble, "Genetic algorithm solution of economic dispatch with valve point loading". IEEE Trans Power Syst 1993; 8:1325-32. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.260861
- N. Sinha, R. Chakrabarti, P. K. Chattopadhyay, "Evolutionary programming techniques for economic load dispatch", IEEE Trans. Evol. Comput. 7 (1) (2003) 83-94. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEVC.2002.806788
- J.B. Park, K.S. Lee, J.R Shin, K.Y. Lee, "A particle swarm optimization for economic dispatch with nonsmooth cost functions". IEEE Trans Power Syst 2005;20:34-42. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2004.831275
- S. Pothiya, I. Ngamroo, W. Kongprawechnon, Ant colony optimization for economic dispatch problem with non-smooth cost functions, Electr. Power Energy Syst. 32 (5) (2010) 478-487. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2009.09.016
- Kazem Zare, Mehrdad Tarafdar Haque, Elnaz Davoodi "Solving non-convex economic dispatch problem with valve point effects using modified group search optimizer method" Electric Power Systems Research 84 (2012) 83-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2011.10.004
- 1. Improved Particle Swarm Optimization for Multi-area Economic Dispatch with Reserve Sharing Scheme vol.48, pp.30, 2015, doi:10.5370/JEET.2013.8.4.744
- 2. A differential evolution particle swarm optimizer for various types of multi-area economic dispatch problems vol.107, 2016, doi:10.5370/JEET.2013.8.4.744
- 3. Multi-area Environmental Economic Dispatch with Reserve Constraints Using Enhanced Particle Swarm Optimization vol.43, pp.14, 2015, doi:10.5370/JEET.2013.8.4.744
- 4. Multi-area Economic Dispatch Using Improved Particle Swarm Optimization vol.75, 2015, doi:10.5370/JEET.2013.8.4.744
- 5. Multi-area economic dispatch with reserve sharing using dynamically controlled particle swarm optimization vol.73, 2015, doi:10.5370/JEET.2013.8.4.744
- 6. Profit based unit commitment for GENCOs using Lagrange Relaxation–Differential Evolution vol.20, pp.2, 2017, doi:10.5370/JEET.2013.8.4.744