- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A study on the reproducibility of blood alcohol concentration - time profile of an individual
음주 후의 혈중알코올농도 변화의 재현성에 관한 연구
- Hong, Sungwook (Chemical Analysis Div. National Forensic Service)
- 홍성욱 (국립과학수사연구원 화학분석과)
- Received : 2013.05.06
- Accepted : 2013.05.10
- Published : 2013.06.25
In this study, the reproducibility of blood alcohol concentration (BAC) - time profile for the same individuals were investigated. Five Korean males were made to drink 55.5 g of ethyl alcohol (neglecting body weight) in the form of undiluted Soju (22% v/v), Korean popular liquor, within 30 min and each drinking sessions were performed for five times. Two kind of side dishes, a sliced raw fish and a sweet and sour pork, were served alternately along with alcohol. The peak BAC reaching time, the maximum BAC and the reduction rate of BAC of an individual varied greatly even though the dose and drinking time interval were not changed. Also, the food taken along with alcohol varies the shape of BAC - time profile. From the repetitive drinking sessions we can know that the BAC - time profile of an individual is not a reproducible one even though the dose, kind of liquer, drinking time and food were maintained constantly. It means that any assumption of blood alcohol concentration of an individual at a previous time stage based on the alcohol dose can not be justified because of large fluctuation of BAC-time profile of an individual.
Blood alcohol concentration (BAC);time profile;reduction rate;reproducibility
- A. R. E. Forrest, J. Forensic Sci. Soc., 26, 249-252 (1985).
- J. C. Garriott, 'Medicolegal aspects of alcohol determination in biological specimens', PSG Publishing Company, Littleton, Massachusetts, 1988.
- A. W. Jones and L. Andersson, J. Forensic Sci., 41, 922-926 (1996).
- R. L. Watkins and E. V. Adler, J. Forensic Sci., 38, 295-291 (1993).
- P. E. Watson, I. D. Watson and R. D. Batt, J. Stud. Alcohol, 42, 547-556 (1981). https://doi.org/10.15288/jsa.1981.42.547
- A. R. Stowell and L. I. Stowell, J. Forensic Sci., 43, 14-21 (1998).
- A. W. Jones, J. Forensic Sci., 38, 104-118 (1993).
- W. Neutebooom and A. W. Jones, Forensic Sci. Int., 45, 107-115 (1990). https://doi.org/10.1016/0379-0738(90)90227-P
- A. W. Jones, J. Anal. Toxicol., 14, 198-200 (1990). https://doi.org/10.1093/jat/14.3.198
- 박성우 등, 국립과학수사연구소연보, 24, 265-273 (1992).
- Widmark's equation versus pharmacokinetic modeling in back calcuration of alcohol concnetration, http:// www.forensicscience.pl/pfs/50_gubala.pdf, 2002, Assessed 8 Dec 2012.
- Alcohol Toxicology for Prosecutors, http://www.ndaa. org/pdf/toxicology_final.pdf, Assessed 16 Apr 2003.
- 대법원 2001.8.24. 선고 2000도6026 판결 [재물손괴.도로교통법위반.도로교통법위반(음주측정거부)].
- A. W. Jones and J. Schuberth, J. Forensic Sci., 33, 1116-1127 (1989).
- N. H. G. Holford, Clin. Pharmacokinet, 13, 278-292 (1987).
- M. D. Holzbecher and A. E. Wells, Can. Soc., Forensic Sci. J., 17, 182-196 (1984). https://doi.org/10.1080/00085030.1984.10757376
- K. M. Dubowski, J. Stud. Alc., Suppl., 10, 98-108 (1985).
- P. N. Friel, B. K. Logan and J. Baer, J. Forensic Sci., 40, 91-94 (1995).
- Elimination Rate and Pharmacokinetics of Alcohol in Korean Healthy Male Adults vol.54, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4306/jknpa.2015.54.4.427