- Volume 27 Issue 3
Anchors are primarily designed and constructed to resist outwardly directed loads imposed on the foundation of a structure. These outwardly directed loads are transmitted to the soil at a greater depth by the anchors. Buried anchors have been used for thousands of years to stabilize structures. Various types of earth anchors are now used for the uplift resistance of transmission towers, utility poles, submerged pipelines, and tunnels. Anchors are also used for the tieback resistance of earth-retaining structures, waterfront structures, at bends in pressure pipelines, and when it is necessary to control thermal stress. In this research, we analyzed the uplift behavior of plate anchors in clay using a laboratory experiment to estimate the uplift behavior of plate anchors under various conditions. To achieve the research purpose, the uplift resistance and displacement characteristics of plate anchors caused by the embedment ratio, plate diameter, and loading rate were studied, compared, and analyzed for various cases.
Plate anchor;Horizontal plate anchor;Uplift behavior;Embedment ratio;Uplift load;Loading rate
- American society for testing materials (ASTM), 1989. Standard Test Method for One-Dimensional Consolidation Properties of Soils Using Controlled-Strain Loading. ASTM, D4186-89, 565-569.
- Bae, W.S., Lee, B.J., Kwon, Y.C., Lee, J.D., 2008. Study on Pullout Behavior of Pipe Anchor. Korean GEO-Environmental Society, 9(1), 5-10.
- Baker, W.H., Kondner, R.L., 1966. Pullout Load Capacity of a Circular Earth Anchor Buried in Sand. Highway Res. Rec. 108, National Academy of Sciences, 1-10.
- Das, B.M., 1978. Model Tests for Uplift Capacity of Foundations in Clay. Soil and Found., Japan, 18(2), 17-24. https://doi.org/10.3208/sandf1972.18.2_17
- Das, B.M., 2007. Earth Anchors. Fort Lauderdale, Florida: J. Ross Publishing.
- Jang, J.B., Suh, Y.P., 2005. An Evaluation of Tensile Design Criteria of Cast-In-Place Anchor by Numerical Analysis. 2005. Computational Structural Engineering Institute of Korea, 18(3), 303-309.
- Meyerhof, G.G., 1973. Uplift Resistance of Inclined Anchors and Piles. Proc., VIII Intl. Conf. Soil Mechanics Foundation Engineering, Moscow, USSR, 2(1), 167-172.
- Ovesen, N.K., 1981. Centrifuge Test of the Uplift Capacity of Anchors. Proc. 10th Int Conf. Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Stockholm, Sweeden, 1, 717-722.
- Plaxis Foundation V2.0, 2006. R.B.J. Brinkgreve and W. Broere.
- Shin, E.C., Kim, J.I., Park, J.J., 2005. Effect of Embedment Ratio and Loading Rate on Uplift Adhesion Factor of Concrete Driven Pile. The Korean Society for Railway, 8(4), 367-371.
- Vesic, A.S., 1971. Breakout Resistance of Objects Embeded in Ocean Bottom. Journal Soil Mechanics Foundation Div., ASCE, 1183-1205.
Grant : 극지용 저온 설계 및 Winterization 평가 기술
Supported by : 지식경제부, 국토해양부