- Volume 27 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Study on Behavior of Slender Bodies in Waves
세장체의 파랑중 거동에 대한 실험에 관한 고찰
- Received : 2013.03.19
- Accepted : 2013.05.09
- Published : 2013.06.30
The exploration areas for maritime resources such as oil and natural gas have gradually moved to deep sea areas. It has become difficult to use existing fixed marine structures, which are very costly to build, because that have reached the uppermost economic limit. Therefore, floating marine structures and flexible marine structures are preferred. In particular, slender bodies such as risers and pipes are important parts of ocean depth marine structures. These slender bodies have more flexible structural characteristics in deep water areas because their overall length becomes longer and thediameter/length slenderness ratio gets smaller. In addition, the dynamic behavior of slender bodies becomes complicated as external forces such as tides and waves act on it directly. In this study, in order to solve these problems, we performed model tests in a 2-D wave basin using flexible slender bodies with different modulus of elasticity values. As a result, we compiled statistics and compared the behaviors of flexible slender bodies with respect to the effect of the modulus of elasticity. We expect that the results could be used as reference data for the design of structures with flexible elements.
Slender body;Model test;Elastic body;Regular wave
- Burke, B., 1974. An Analysis of Marine Risers for Deep Water, Offshore Technology Conference, Journal of Petroleum Technology, 26(4), 455-465.
- Chena, Y., Chaib, Y.H., Lia, X., Zhoua, J., 2009. An Extraction of the Natural Frequencies and Mode Shapes of Marine Risers by the Method of Differential Transformation. Computers and Structures. 87(21-22), 1384-1393. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2009.07.003
- Chucheepsakkul, S., Huang, T., Laohapotjanart, P., 1995. Effect of Axial Deformation on the Equilibrium Configurations of Marine Cable. Proc. of the 5th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, 2, 224-248.
- Hong, Y.P., Nakamura, M., Koterayama, W., 2002. An Experimental and Numerical Study on Dynamics of Flexible Free Hanging Riser. Proceedings of The Fifth ISOPE Paci fic/Asia Offshore Mechanics Symposium, 131-140.
- Huang, T., 1992. A Static Equilibrium Formulation including Axial Deformation for Marine Cables. Proceeding of International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, 2, 252-255.
- Investigation of Characteristics of Waves Generated in Two-Dimensional Wave Channel vol.27, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2013.27.4.068
- Experimental Study on Elastic Response of Circular Cross-section Slender Body to Forced Oscillation, Waves, and Current vol.30, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2016.30.2.091