- Volume 27 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Finite Element Simulation of Elastic Waves for Detecting Defects and Deteriorations in Underwater Steel Plates
수중강판의 결함 및 열화 검출을 위한 탄성파 유한요소 시뮬레이션
Woo, Jinho;Na, Won-Bae
- Received : 2012.08.28
- Accepted : 2013.06.10
- Published : 2013.06.30
This paper presents the results of finite element simulations of elastic wave propagation in an underwater steel plate and the verification of a proposed method utilizing elastic wave-based damage detection. For the simulation and verification, we carried out the following procedures. First, three-dimensional finite element models were constructed using a general purpose finite element program. Second, two types of damages (mechanical defects and deteriorations) were applied to the underwater steel plate and three parameters (defect location, defect width, and depth) were considered to adjust the severity of the applied damages. Third, elastic waves were generated using the oblique incident method with a Gaussian tone burst, and the response signals were obtained at the receiving point for each defect or deterioration case. In addition, the received time domain signals were analyzed, particularly by measuring the magnitudes of the maximum amplitudes. Finally, the presence and severity of each type of damage were identified by the decreasing ratios of the maximum amplitudes. The results showed that the received signals for the models had the same global pattern with minor changes in the amplitudes and phases, and the decreasing ratio generally increased as the damage area increased. In addition, we found that the defect depth was more critical than the width in the decrease of the amplitude. This mainly occurred because the layout of the depth interfered with the elastic wave propagation in a more severe manner than the layout of the width. An inverse analysis showed that the proposed method is applicable for detecting mechanical defects and quantifying their severity.
Elastic wave;Simulation;Underwater steel plate;Inverse analysis
- Choung, J., Sim, C.S., Kim, K.S., 2011. Plasticity and Fracture Behaviors of Marine Structural Steel, Part II: Theoretical Backgrounds of Fracture. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 25(2), 92-100. https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2011.25.2.092
- Descamps, B., Baker, M.J., 1999. Reliability-based Methods in the Inspection Planning of Fixed Offshore Steel Structures. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 52(1), 117-131. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(99)00031-0
- Dinkler, D., Kowalsky, U., Schuster, K., 2008. Damage detection with piezoceramic actuators in thin steel structures. Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures, 15(3-4), 269-275. https://doi.org/10.1080/15376490801907806
- Dowling, P.J., Burgan, B.A., 1998. Steel Structures in the New Millenium. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 46(1-3), 34. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(98)00162-X
- Kazys, R., Mazeika, L., Barauskas, R., Raisutis, R., Cicenas, V., Demcenko, A., 2006. 3D Analysis of Interaction of Lamb Waves with Defects in Loaded Steel Plates. Ultrasonics, 44, e1127-e1130. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultras.2006.05.152
- Kim, J.T., Woo, J., Na, W.B., 2008. Finite element simulation of two-point elastic wave excitation method for damage detection in concrete structures. Russian Journal of Nondestructive Testing, 44(10), 719-726. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1061830908100094
- Lee, J., Na, W.B., 2009. Numerical Simulation of Guided Ultrasonic Waves for Inspecting Epoxy Thickness in Aluminum- Epoxy-Aluminum Adhesive Plates. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 23(6), 117-123.
- Melchers, R.E., 2005. The Effect of Corrosion on the Structural Reliability of Steel Offshore Structures. Corrosion Science, 47(10), 2391-2410. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.corsci.2005.04.004
- Na, W.B., Kang, D.B., 2006. Effect of Surface Condition and Corrosion-Induced Defect on Guided Wave Propagation in Reinforced Concrete. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 20(1), 1-6.
- Onoufriou, T., 1999. Reliability Based Inspection Planning of Offshore Structures. Marine Structures, 12(7-8), 521-539. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0951-8339(99)00030-1
- Ostachowicz, W., Kudela, P., Malinowski, P., Wandowski, T., 2009. Damage localisation in plate-like structures based on PZT sensors. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 23(6), 1805-1829. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2008.10.011
- Wang, X., Tse, P.W., Mechefske, C.K., Hua, M., 2010. Experimental Investigation of Reflection in Guided Wavebased Inspection for the Characterization of Pipeline Defects. NDT&E International, 43(4), 365-374. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ndteint.2010.01.002
- Woo, J., Na, W.B., 2009. Finite Element Simulation of Elastic Waves for Detecting Anti-symmetric Damages in Adhesively- Bonded Single Lap Joint. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 23(3), 124-130.
- Woo, D., Na, W.B., 2010. Mechanically Fabricated Defects Detection on Underwater Steel Pipes using Ultrasonic Guided Waves. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 24(1), 140-145.
- Woo, J., Na, W.B., Kim, J.T., Cho, H.M., 2007. Finite Element Simulation of Elastic Wave Propagation in a Concrete Plate-Modeling and Damage Detection Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 21(6), 26-33.
Supported by : 부경대학교