- Volume 27 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Flow-Turbine Interaction CFD Analysis for Performance Evaluation of Vertical Axis Tidal Current Turbines (I)
수직축 조류 터빈 발전효율 평가를 위한 유동-터빈 연동 CFD 해석 (I)
- Received : 2013.03.19
- Accepted : 2013.06.10
- Published : 2013.06.30
In this study, numerical analyses that considered the dynamic interaction effects between the flow and a turbine were carried out to investigate the power output performance of an H-type Darrieus turbine rotor, which is one of the representative lifting-type vertical-axis tidal-current turbines. For this purpose, a commercial CFD code, Star-CCM+, was utilized for an example three-bladed turbine with a rotor diameter of 3.5 m, a solidity of 0.13, and the blade shape of an NACA0020 airfoil, and the optimal tip speed ratio (TSR) and corresponding maximum power coefficient were evaluated through exhaustive simulations with different sets of flow speed and external torque conditions. The optimal TSR and maximum power coefficient were found to be approximately 1.84 and 48%, respectively. The torque and angular velocity pulsations were also investigated, and it was found that the pulsation ratios for the torque and angular velocity were gradually increased and decreased with an increase in TSR, respectively.
Flow-turbine interaction analysis;Computational fluid dynamics (CFD);Vertical axis tidal current turbine;Darrieus turbine
- CD-adapco, 2006. CCM User Manual. Star-CD Version 4.02, CD-adapco.
- Han, J.S., Hyun, B.S., Choi, D.H., Mo, J.O., Kim, M.C., Rhee, S.H., 2010. Study on Design of Darrieus-type Tidal Stream Turbine Using Parametric Study. Journal of the Korean Society for Marine Environmental Engineering, 13(4), 241-248.
- Hyun, B.S., Choi, D.H., Han, J.S., Jin, J.Y., 2012. Performance Analysis and Design of Vertical Axis Tidal Stream Turbine. Journal of Shipping and Ocean Engineering, 2, 191-200.
- Jo, C.-H., Lee, J-H, Rho, Y-H., Ko, K-O., Lee, K-H., 2012. Design and Performance Test of Savonius Tidal Current Turbine with CWC. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 26 (4), 37-41. https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2012.26.4.037
- Jung, H.J., Rhee, S.H., Song, M., Hyun, B.S., 2009. A Numerical Study of Unsteady Flow around a Vertical Axis Turbine for Tidal Current Energy Conversion. Journal of the Korean Society for Marine Environmental Engineering, 12(1), 9-14.
- Khalid, S.S., Liang, Z., Shah, N., 2013. Harnessing Tidal Energy Using Vertical Axis Tidal Turbine. Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology, 5(1), 239-252.
- Korea Ocean Research and Development Institute (KORDI), 2011. Development of Utilization Technique for Tide and Tidal Current Energy. Final Report Submitted to the Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs.
- Lee, D.H., Hyun, B.S., Lee, J.K., Kim, M.C., Rhee, S.H., 2012. Development of Hydrodynamic Capacity Evaluation Method for a Vertical-Axis Tidal Stream Turbine. Journal of the Korean Society for Marine Environmental Engineering, 15(2), 142-149. https://doi.org/10.7846/JKOSMEE.2012.15.2.142
- Shiono, M., Suzuki, K., Kiho, S., 2000. An Experimental Study of the Characteristics of a Darrieus Turbine for Tidal Power Generation. Electronic Engineering in Japan, 132(3), 781-787.
- Winchester, J.D.L., Quayle, S.D., 2011. Torque Ripple and Power in a Variable Pitch Vertical Axis Tidal Turbine. Proceedings of the 9th European Wave and Tidal Conference, Southhampton, U.K.
- Yi, J.-H., Oh, S.-H., Park, J.-S., Lee, K.-S., Lee, S.-Y., 2013. Flow- Turbine Interaction CFD Analysis for Performance Evaluation of Vertical Axis Tidal Current Turbines (II). Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 27(3), 73-78. https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2013.27.3.073