- Volume 27 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Flow-Turbine Interaction CFD Analysis for Performance Evaluation of Vertical Axis Tidal Current Turbines (II)
수직축 조류 터빈 발전효율 평가를 위한 유동-터빈 연동 CFD 해석 (II)
Yi, Jin-Hak;Oh, Sang-Ho;Park, Jin-Soon;Lee, Kwang-Soo;Lee, Sang-Yeol
- Received : 2013.03.19
- Accepted : 2013.06.10
- Published : 2013.06.30
CFD (computational fluid dynamics) analyses that considered the dynamic interaction effects between the flow and a turbine were performed to evaluate the power output characteristics of two representative vertical-axis tidal-current turbines: an H-type Darrieus turbine and Gorlov helical turbine (GHT). For this purpose, a commercial CFD code, Star-CCM+, was utilized, and the power output characteristic were investigated in relation to the scale ratio using the relation between the Reynolds number and the lift-to-drag ratio. It was found that the power coefficients were significantly reduced when the scaled model turbine was used, especially when the Reynolds number was lower than
Flow-turbine interaction analysis;Computational fluid dynamics;Vertical axis tidal current turbine;H-type darrieus turbine;Gorlov helical turbine
- Gorlov, A.M., 1995. The Helical Turbine: a New Idea for Lowhead Hydropower. Hydro Rev., 14(5) 44-50.
- Hyun, B.S., Choi, D.H., Han, J.S., Jin, J.Y., 2012. Performance Analysis and Design of Vertical Axis Tidal Stream Turbine. Journal of Shipping and Ocean Engineering, 2, 191-200.
- Jung, H.J., Rhee, S.H., Song, M., Hyun, B.S., 2009. A Numerical Study of Unsteady Flow around a Vertical Axis Turbine for Tidal Current Energy Conversion. Journal of the Korean Society for Marine Environmental Engineering, 12(1), 9-14.
- Kim, J.M., Han, D.H. Chung, H., 2012, Field test for 100kW floating tidal power system. Proceedings of the Asian Wave and Tidal Energy Conference 2012.
- Korea Ocean Research and Development Institute (KORDI), 2011. Development of Utilization Technique for Tide and Tidal Current Energy. Final Report Submitted to the Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs.
- Kroo, I., 2007. Applied Aerodynamics:A Digital Textbook. Desktop Aeronautics, Inc.
- Li, Y., Calisala, S.M., 2010. Modeling of Twin-turbine Systems with Vertical Axis Tidal Current Turbines: Part I-Power output. Ocean Engineering, 37(7), 627-637 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2010.01.006
- Shiono, M., Suzuki, K., Kiho, S., 2000. An Experimental Study of the Characteristics of a Darrieus Turbine for Tidal Power Generation. Electronic Engineering in Japan, 132(3), 781-787.
- Yi, J.-H., Oh, S.-H., Park, J.-S., Lee, K.-S., Lee, S.-Y., 2013. Flow- Turbine Interaction CFD Analysis for Performance Evaluation of Vertical Axis Tidal Current Turbines (I). Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 27(3), 67-72.
- Flow-Turbine Interaction CFD Analysis for Performance Evaluation of Vertical Axis Tidal Current Turbines (I) vol.27, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2013.27.3.067