- Volume 27 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Electrochemical Evaluation of Corrosion Property of Welded Zone of Seawater Pipe by DC Shielded Metal Arc Welding with Types of Electrodes
선박 해수배관에서 용접봉의 종류에 따라 직류 아크 용접한 용접부위의 부식특성에 관한 전기화학적 평가
Lee, Sung-Yul;Lee, Kyu-Hwan;Won, Chang-Uk;Na, Shane;Yoon, Young-Gon;Lee, Myeong-Hoon;Kim, Yun-Hae;Moon, Kyung-Man;Kim, Jin-Gyeong
- Received : 2013.04.01
- Accepted : 2013.06.12
- Published : 2013.06.30
The seawater pipes in the engine rooms of ships are surrounded by severely corrosive environments caused by fast flowing seawater containing chloride ions, high conductivity, etc. Therefore, it has been reported that seawater leakage often occurs at a seawater pipe because of local corrosion. In addition, the leakage area is usually welded using shielded metal arc welding with various electrodes. In this study, when seawater pipes were welded with four types of electrodes(E4311, E4301, E4313, and E4316), the difference between the corrosion resistance values in their welding zones was investigated using an electrochemical method. Although the corrosion potential of a weld metal zone welded with the E4316 electrode showed the lowest value compared to the other electrodes, its corrosion resistance exhibited the best value compared to the other electrodes. In addition, a heat affected zone welded with the E4316 electrode also appeared to have the best corrosion resistance among the electrodes. Furthermore, the corrosion resistance of the weld metal zone and heat affected zone exhibited relatively better properties than that of the base metal zone in all of the cases welded with the four types of electrodes. Furthermore, the hardness values of all the weld metal zones were higher than the base metal zone.
Corrosion potential;Galvanic cell;Welding metal;Heat affected zone;Shielded metal arc welding
- Ahn, S.H., Jeong, J.H., Nam, K.W., 2005. Evaluation of Characteristic for SS400 and STS304 steel by Weld Thermal Cycle Simulation. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 19(6), 64-71.
- Bilmes, P.D., Liorente, C.L., Saire Huaman, Gassa L.M., and Gervasi, C.A., 2006. Microstructure and Pitting Corrosion of 13CrNiMo Weld Metal. Corrosion Science, 48, 3261-3270. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.corsci.2005.10.009
- Jang, S.K., Jeon, J.I., 2006. Wedability of Al 7075 Alloy According to Different Tools and Welding Conditions by F.S.W.. Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Engineering, 30(1), 30-41.
- Jeon, D.H., 1985. Control of the Corrosion and Anti-corrosion. Iljoongsha, 294-299.
- Jones, D.A., 1998. Principles and Prevention of Corrosion. Original American Edition Published by Prentice-Hall, Inc., 314.
- Kim, J.D., Kil, B.L., Lee, C.J., 2006a. The Weldability of haminated Stator Core for Motor by Pulsed Nd:YAG Laser[I]. Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Engineering, 30(5), 629-635.
- Kim, J.G., Kang, M.S., Kim, Y.S., 2006b. A Study on Characteristics of Repair Welding for Cast Iron Part of Diesel Engine for Ship, Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 20(2), 41-45.
- Lee, Y.H., Kim, Y.H., Kim, H., 2003. Crevice Corrosion Resistance of Stainless Steel in Natural Sea Water with Different Post Welding Treatment". Corrosion Science and Technology, 2(5), 219-224.
- Moon, K.M. Lee, M.H. Kim, K.J. Kim, J.G., Kim, S.J., 2003. A Study on the Post-Weld Heat Treatment Effect to Mechanical Properties and Hydrogen Embrittlement for Heating Affected Zone of a RE36 Steel. Corrosion Science and Technology, 2(6), 283-288.
- Oh, C.I., Kim, Y.P., Park, H.K., Bang, H.S., 2007. A Study on the Thermal and Mechanical Characteristic of Hybrid Welded Ship Structure A-grade Steel. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 21(1), 64-68.
- Raja, V.S. Vershney, S.K. Raman, R., Kulkarni, S.D., 1998. Influence of Nitrogen on the Pitting Corrosion Behavior of 904L Weld Clad. Corrosion Science, 40(10), 1609-1625. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0010-938X(97)00174-1
- Shin, M.K., 1984. New Edition Workshop Practice. Ahsung Publishing Co., 242-245.
- Tsay, L.W. Lin, W.L. Chenct S.W., Leu G.S., 1997. Hydrogen Sulphide Stress Corrosion Cracking of 2.25 Cr-Mo Steel Weldments. Corrosion Science, 39(7), 1165-1176. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0010-938X(97)00015-2
- Evaluation of the corrosion property on the welded zone of seawater pipe by A.C shielded metal arc welding vol.37, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2013.37.8.877