- Volume 37 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Shape Monitoring of Composite Cantilever Beam by Using Fiber Bragg Grating Sensors
광섬유 브래그 격자 센서를 이용한 복합재 외팔보의 형상 모니터링
- Lee, Kun-Ho (Graduate School of NID Fusion Technology, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Dae-Hyun (Dept. of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2012.11.12
- Accepted : 2013.05.07
- Published : 2013.07.01
In this study, an experiment was performed to monitor the two-dimensional shape of a cantilever composite structure using fiber Bragg grating (FBG) sensors. To monitor the shape of a composite structure, a deflection equation developed by NASA was applied and a composite beam attached to three FBG sensors was used. In the experiment, the shape of the composite beam was successfully estimated and an error was evaluated by comparing a real deflection. The error increased with real deflection; therefore, it was compensated by using the linear relationship between the error and the real deflection. After compensating the error, the measured deflection shows good agreement with the real deflection. Finally, the experiment shows that the FBG sensor and the deflection equation are suitable for monitoring the deflection curve of the beam structure with compensation of the error.
Composite Structures;Structural Health Monitoring;Shape Monitoring;Fiber Bragg Grating Sensor
Supported by : 서울과학기술대학교
- Koh, J.-I., Bang, H.-J., Kim, C.-G., and Hong, C.-S., 2004, "Simultaneous Measurement of Strain and Damage Signal in Composite Structures Using a Fiber Bragg Grating Sensor," Journal of the Korean Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol. 32, No. 7, pp. 43-50. https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2004.32.7.043
- Kim, I. K., Kim, J. S., Seo, S. I. and Lee, W. G., 2013, "Dynamic Property Evaluation of Four-Hardness Satin Woven Glass/epoxy Composites for a Composite Bogie Frame," Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 1-6. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2013.16.1.001
- Kim, D.-H., 2009, "Experimental Analysis on Vibration of Composite Plate by Using FBG Sensor System," Journal of the Korean Society for Nondestructive Testing, Vol. 29, No. 5, pp. 436-441.
- Kang, D., Kim, D.-H. and Jang, S., 2012, "Design and Development of Structural Health Monitoring System for Smart Railroad-Gauge-Facility Using FBG Sensors," Experimental Techniques, Article first published online, 5 Jul.
- Chang, S.-J. and Kim, N.-S., 2010, "Applications of Displacement Response Estimation Algorithm Using Mode Decomposition Technique to Existing Bridges," Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 30, No. 3, pp. 257-264.
- Udd, E., 1995, "Fiber Optic Smart Structures," John Wiley and Sons, USA
- Othonos, A., Alavie, A. T., Melle, S., Karr, S. E. and Measures, R. M., 1993, "Fiber Bragg Grating Laser Sensor," Optical Engineering, Vol. 32, pp. 2841-2845. https://doi.org/10.1117/12.147704
- Ko, W. L., Richards, W. L. and Tran, V. T., 2007, "Displacement Theories for In-Flight, Deformed Shape Predictions of Aerospace Structures," NASA/TP-214612.
- Muscular Condition Monitoring System Using Fiber Bragg Grating Sensors vol.34, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7779/JKSNT.2014.34.5.362
- Sensor System for Multi-Point Monitoring Using Bending Loss of Single Mode Optical Fiber vol.35, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7779/JKSNT.2015.35.1.39
- Reliability Evaluation of Fiber Optic Sensors Exposed to Cyclic Thermal Load vol.36, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7779/JKSNT.2016.36.3.225
- Three-Dimensional Shape Estimation of Beam Structure Using Fiber Bragg Grating Sensors vol.39, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2015.39.3.241