- Volume 37 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Stress Modeling of the Laser Drilling Process in Carbon Steel
레이저 드릴링을 통한 강판 가공 시 응력 모델링
- Lee, Wooram (Dept. of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Joohan (Dept. of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2012.12.27
- Accepted : 2013.04.29
- Published : 2013.07.01
A laser machining process has been applied in many manufacturing fields and it provides an excellent energy control for treating materials. However, a heat effect during laser machining can deteriorate material properties. Specifically, a thermally induced stress can be a problem in laser-machined structures on a metal surface. In this study, temperature and stress on cold-rolled carbon steel sheet machined with laser hole drilling were explored in an experimental approach and a numerical method. Stresses by temperature gradients inside the materials were generated in fast cooling. The stresses were measured by using a hole-drilling method and the material properties of carbon steel (SCP1-S) were obtained in the experiment. It was found that the stress predicted from the numerical analysis was in agreement with the stresses measured by using the hole-drilling method. The analysis can be applied for evaluating structure characteristics machined with a laser.
Topology Laser Drilling;Hole-Drilling Method;Stress
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Poprawe, R., Schulz, W. and Schmitt, R., 2010, "Hydrodynamics of Material Removal by Melt Expulsion: Perspectives of Laser Cutting and Drilling," Physics Procedia, Vol. 5, Part A, pp. 1-18.
- Koc, M., Culp, J. and Altan, T., 2006, "Prediction of Residual Stress in Quenched Aluminum Block and Their Reduction Through Cold Working Processed," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 174, Issues 1-3, pp. 342-354. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2006.02.007
- Jang, H. S., 1997, "The Handbook of Advanced Aluminum Technology," Hanlimwon.
- Rogers, E. and Gutierrez-Miravete, E., 2007, "An Analysis of the Thermal Effects of Focused Laser Beams on Steel," Excerpt from the Proceedings of the COMSOL Conference 2007, Boston.
- Hossain, S., Truman, C. E., Smith, D. J., Peng, R. L. and Stuhr, U., 2007, "A Study of the Generation and Creep Relaxation of Triaxial Residual Stresses in Stainless Steel," International Journal of Solid and Structure, Vol. 44, pp. 3004-3020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2006.09.001
- Juijerm, P. and Altenberger, I., 2006, "Residual Stress Relaxation of Deep-Rolled Al-Mg-Si-Cu Alloy During Cyclic Loading at Elevated Temperature," Scripta Materialia, Vol. 55, pp. 1111-1114. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scriptamat.2006.08.047
- Kang, D. H., Lee, B. J., Yun, C. B. and Kim, K. W., 2010, "Study on Torsional Strength of InductionHardened Axle Shaft," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 34, No. 5, pp. 645-649. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2010.34.5.645
- Simsir, C. and Gur, C. H., 2008, "3D FEM Simulation of Steel Quenching and Investigation of the Effect of Asymmetric Geometry on Residual Stress Distribution," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 207, pp. 211-221. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2007.12.074
- Berger, M. C. and Gregory, J. K., 1999, "Residual Stress Relaxation in Shot Peened Timetal 21s," Material Science and Engineering A, Vol. 263, pp. 200-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-5093(98)01165-4
- Alberg, H. and Berglund, D., 2003, "Comparison of Plastic, Viscoelastic and Creep Models when Welding and Stress Relief Heat Treatment," Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 192, pp. 5189-5208. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2003.07.010
- Schajer, G. S., 1988, "Measurement of Non-Uniform Residual Stresses Using the Hole-Drilling Method Part I-Stress Calculation Procedure," Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, Vol. 103, pp. 157-163.
- Kim, J. O., Ko, J. B., and Park, H. S., 2007, "A Study on the Measurement of Bending Constraint Force of STS304 Thin Plate Using The Load Cell," Transactions of the Korean Society of Machine Tool Engineers, Vol. 16, No. 3, p. 90.
- Lee, K.S., Kim, T.R., Park, J.H., Kim, M.W. and Cho, S.Y., 2009, "3-D Characteristics of the Residual Stress in the Plate Butt Weld Between SA508 and F316LSS," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 401-409. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2009.33.4.401
- Kim, Y.J., Song, T.K., Bae, H.Y., Song, T.K., Bae, H.Y., Lee, K.S., Park, C.Y., Yang, J.S., Huh, N.S., Kim, J.U., Park, J.S., Song, M.S., Lee, S.K., Kim, J.S., Yu, S.C. and Chang, Y.S., 2009, "Assessment of Round Robin Analyses Results on Welding Residual Stress Prediction in a Nuclear Power Plant Nozzle," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 72-81. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2009.33.1.72
- Song, T.K., Bae, H.Y., Chun, Y.B., Oh, C.Y., Kim, Y.J., Lee, K.S. and Park, C.Y., 2008, "Estimation of Residual Stress Distribution for Pressurizer Nozzle of Kori Nuclear Power Plant Considering Safe End," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 32, No. 8, pp. 668-677. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2008.32.8.668
- Song, T.K., Bae, H.Y., Kim, Y.J., Lee, K.S. and Park, C.Y., 2009, "Sensitivity Analysis of Finite Element Method for Estimating Residual Stress of Dissimilar Metal Multi-Pass Weldment in Nuclear Power Plant," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 32, No. 9, pp. 770-781.