- Volume 37 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Compressive Deformation Behaviors of Aluminum Alloy Using a Split Hopkinson Pressure Bar Test with an Acoustic Emission Technique
SHPB 시험과 음향방출법을 이용한 알루미늄 합금의 압축 변형거동 분석
- Kim, Jong-Tak (Dept. of Automotive Engineering, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Woo, Sung-Choong (Survivability Technology Defense Research Center, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Sakong, Jae (Dept. of Automotive Engineering, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Kim, Jin-Young (Agency for Defense Development) ;
- Kim, Tae-Won (School of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang Univ.)
- 김종탁 (한양대학교 자동차공학과) ;
- 우성충 (한양대학교 국방 생존성기술 특화연구센터) ;
- 사공재 (한양대학교 자동차공학과) ;
- 김진영 (국방과학연구소) ;
- 김태원 (한양대학교 기계공학부)
- Received : 2012.12.28
- Accepted : 2013.05.15
- Published : 2013.07.01
In this study, the compressive deformation behaviors of aluminum alloy under high strain rates were investigated by means of a SHPB test. An acoustic emission (AE) technique was also employed to monitor the signals detected from the deformation during the entire impact by using an AE sensor connected to the specimen with a waveguide in real time. AE signals were analyzed in terms of AE amplitude, AE energy and peak frequency. The impacted specimen surface and side area were observed after the test to identify the particular features in the AE signal corresponding to the specific types of damage mechanisms. As the strain increased, the AE amplitude and AE energy increased whereas the AE peak frequency decreased. It was elucidated that each AE signal was closely associated with the specific damage mechanism in the material.
Supported by : 국방과학연구소
- Kim, J.T., Cho, C.H., Jeon, J.I., Gimm, H.K., Koo, M.H. and Kim, T.W., 2010, "A Study of the Projectile-Material Shape on Damage and Fracture Behavior of Aluminum Alloys Under High Velocity Impact," Proceeding of 40th Anniversary Conference on the Establishment of Agency for Defence Development, New Special Energy, pp. 371-374.
- Jena, P.K., Jagtap, N., Siva Kumar, K. and Balakrishna Bhat T., 2008, "Some Experimental Studies on Angle Effect in Penetration," International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 37, pp. 489-501.
- Jeong, D.T., 1994, "Split Hopkinson Pressure Bar Technique for Stress-Strain Measurement," The Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers Annuals Spring & Fall Conferences, pp. 33-41.
- Kuhn, Howard, Medlin, and Dana, 1984, "ASM Handbook Volume 8, Mechanical Testing and Evaluation," ASM International Handbook Committee, Vol. 8, pp. 462-476.
- Davies, E., 1948, "A Critical Study of the Hopkinson Pressure Bar," Philos. Trans. A, Vol. 204, pp. 375-457.
- Jeong, H.D., 1994, "Fundamental of Acoustic Emission Technology for Engineering Applications," Transactions of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 20-32.
- Lugo, M., Jordon, J.B., Horstemeyer, M.F., Tschopp, M.A., Harris, J. and Gokhale, A.M., 2011, "Quantification of Damage Evolution in a 7075 Aluminum Alloy Using an Acoustic Emission Technique," Materials Science and Engineering A, Vol. 528, pp. 6708-6714. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2011.05.017
- Nixon, J.A., Phillips, M.G., Moore, D.R. and Prediger, R.S., 1988, "A Study of the Development of Impact Damage in Cross-ply Carbon Fibre/PEEK Laminates Using Acoustic Emission," Composites Science and Technology, Vol. 31, Issue 1, pp. 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/0266-3538(88)90073-5
- Shim, J.M. and Mohr, D., 2009, "Using split Hopkinson Pressure Bars to Perform Large Strain Compression Tests on Poluurea at Low, Intermediate and High Strain Rates," International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 36, pp. 1116-1127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2008.12.010
- Lee, O.S., Choi, H.B. and Kim, H.M., 2011, "High-Temperature Dynamic Deformation of Aluminum Alloys Using SHPB," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 25, pp.14-148.
- Gu, J.U. and Choi, N.S., 2011, "Analysis of Fracture Signals from Tooth/Composite Restoration According to AE Sensor Attachment," Journal of the Korean Society for Nondestructive Testing, Vol 30, No. 5, pp. 500-507.