- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Root Pruning, Stem Cutting and Planting Density on Survival and Growth Characteristics in Kalopanax septemlobus Seedlings
단근, 줄기 절단과 식재 밀도에 따른 음나무(Kalopanax septemlobus) 묘목의 활착 및 생장 특성
Kang, Ho Sang
- Received : 2013.05.13
- Accepted : 2013.05.30
- Published : 2013.06.30
Kalopanax septemlobus (Thunb. ex Murray) Koidz. is natively distributed in Korea. The importance of this species has been increased not only for high quality timber but for medicinal and edible uses. However, increasing market demand of K. septemlobus with illegal cutting and overexploitation has resulted in its rapid depletion and destruction of natural habitat. This study was conducted to understand the survival rate and growth characteristics of planted K. septemlobus seedlings with treatment of root pruning, stem cutting and planting density. The survival rate and growth of height and root-collar diameter for one- and two-year old seedlings with different planting densities were investigated in the clear-cut area of a Pinus densiflora stand for five years. One-year-old seedlings were treated with or without root pruning and planted with three density levels (5,000 trees
Kalopanax septemlobus;Planting density;Plantation;Root pruning;Stem cutting;Survival rate;Growth
- Yeoung, Y. R..Lee, M. H..Kim, B. S..Kim, H. K. and Kim, J. H. 2001. Seed germination and softwood cutting technique of Kalopanax pictus Nakai. Korean Journal of Plant Resources 14(1):53-5. (in Korean).
- Hukushi, G..Shigeo, O..Noboru, K..Haruo, S. and Kimura. 1996. Growth ratio of seedlings and root cutting method of Kalopanax septemlobus. Transactions of the Meeting in Hokkaido Branch of the Japanese Forestry Society. 44:67-69. (in Japanese)
- Iida, S. and Nakashizuka, T. 1998. Spatial and temporal dispersal of Kalopanax pictus seed in a temperate deciduous forest, central Japan. Plant Ecology 135:243-248. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1009779921463
- Ishihasi, S. 1994. Research on selective cutting system in natural forests. Transactions of the Meeting in Hokkaido Branch of the Japanese Forestry Society. 42:232-234. (in Japanese).
- Kim, B. K..Yi, Y. S. and Ahn, J. H. 2002. Micropropagation of Kalopanax pictus (Thunb.) Nakai by bud culture. Korean Journal of Medicinal Crop Science 10(4):249-252. (in Korean).
- Kim, M. H..Park, S. Y..Jeong, Y. J. and Yoon, K. Y. 2012. Sensory properties of Kalopanax pictus and Cedrela sinensis shoots under different blanching conditions and with different thawing methods. Korean Journal of Food Preservation 19(2):201-208. (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2012.19.2.201
- Kim, S. H..Lee, C. H..Chung, H. G..Jang, Y. S. and Park, H. S. 2003. The germination characteristics of seed in Kalopanax septemlobus Koidz. by storage methods and GA3 concentrations. Journal of Korean Forest Society 92(3):185-190. (in Korean).
- Koike, D. and Yukio, S. 1982. Relationship between photosynthesis rate and the light of broadleaf on August in Hokkaido. Proceeding of the Meeting in Hokkaido Branch of the Japanese Forestry Society 31:85-87. (in Japanese).
- Lee, C. H..Choi, Y. C..Kim, S. H. and Kwon, K. Y. 2000. Site characteristics, and vegetation structure, and dynamics of forest communities growing Kalopanax septemlobus (Thunb.ex Murray) Koidz. in Gangwon-do. Korean Journal of Plant Resources 13(3): 227-242. (in Korean).
- Lee, D. K. and Suh, S. J. 2005. Forest restoration and rehabilitation in Republic of Korea. pp. 383-396. In:Stanturf, J.A. and P. Madsen. eds. Restoration of boreal and temperate forests. CRC Press.
- Lee, D. K..Noh, J. S. and Lee, M. K. 2001. Development of practical cultivation methods and bioactiove components of Kalopanax septemlobus for the increase of rural household income. Korea Forest Service 87p. (in Korean).
- Lee, D. K..Kang, H. S. and Park, Y. D. 2004. Natural restoration of deforested woodlots in South Korea. Forest Ecology and Management 201:23-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2004.06.019
- Lin, S. H..Wang, H. H. and Chen, C. J. 1991. Studies on the fire-resistance and hygroscopic properties of wood by brushing fire retardant. (I) The efficiency of fire-resistance of wood. Forest Products Industries 10(2):45-65.
- Moon, H. K..Kim, S. H..Son, S. K..Lee, J. H. and Jung, H. K. 2004. Cultivation methods for Araria elata and Kalopanax septemlobus. Korea Forest Research Institute 228:153-237. (in Korean).
- Sasaki, T. 1985. Cycles on the fruiting season of broadleaf in Hokkaido. Forest Tree Breeding in Hokkaido 28:20-25. (in Japanese).
- Chang, C. S..Kim, H..Kang, H. S. and Lee, D. K. 2003. A morphometric analysis of the eastern Asian Kalopanax septemlobus (Thunb.) Koidz. (Araliaceae). Botanical Bulletin of Academia Sinica 44:337-344.
- Fujimori, N. 2002. Mechanisms of population maintenance in a sparsely-distributed species, Kalopanax pictus -The effects of tree density on reproductive processes-Center for Ecological Research. Kyoto University. Master thesis. 42p.
- Haraguchi, S..Shinichiro, S. 1974. Seedlings by root cutting of Kalopanax septemlobus. Nothern Forestry 304:19-22. (in Japanese)
- Hashimoto, G. and Nishioka, T. 1991. The root cutting method of Kalopanax septemlobus Northern Forestry 43(6):13-14. (in Japanese)
- Hong, S. S..Han, D. I..Hwang, B. Y..Choi, W. H..Kang, H. S..Lee, M. K..Lee, D. K..Lee, K. S. and Ro, J. S. 2001. Chemical components from the stem barks of Kalopanax septemlobus. Korean Journal of Pharmacognosy 32(4):302-306. (in Korean)
- Huang, Y. G. 1987. A preliminary sample on neutral and acid inhibitors in the seed of Kalopanax septemlobus. Acta Botanica Sinica 29(3):283-292.