- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Preliminary Study on Assessment of Urban Parks and Green Zones of Ecological Attributes and Responsiveness to Climate Change
도시공원녹지의 생태성 및 기후변화 대응성 평가 기초 연구
Sung, Hyun-Chan;Hwang, So-Young
- Received : 2013.06.12
- Accepted : 2013.06.21
- Published : 2013.06.30
Problems in regard of ecological stability of urban ecosystem ensue from climate change and urbanization. Particularly, urban ecological conditions are deteriorating both quantitatively and qualitatively to a great extent. The present study aims to assess the current condition of selected sites (i. e. urban green zones and parks) in terms of preset assessment components; to find out problems and relevant solutions to improve the quality and quantity of parks and green zones; and ultimately to suggest some measures applicable to coping with climate change as well as to securing the ecological attributes of urban green zones and parks. According to the findings of this study, from quantitative perspectives, ecological attributes and responsiveness to climate change are high on account of the large natural-soil area(80%). By contrast, from qualitative perspectives including the planting structure (1 layer: 47%), the percentage of bush area(17%), the connectivity with surrounding green zones (independent types: 44%), the wind paths considered (5.6%), the tree species with high carbon absorption rates (20%), water cycles (17%), energy (8%) and carbon storage capacities(61%), ecological attributes and responsiveness to climate change were found very low. These findings suggest that the ecological values of urban parks and green zones should be improved in the future by conserving their original forms, securing natural-soil grounds and employing multi-layered planting structures and water bodies, and that responsiveness to climate change should be enhanced by planting tree species with high carbon storage capacities and obtaining detention ponds. In sum, robust efforts should be exerted in the initial planning stages, and sustained, to apply the methodology of green-zone development along with securing ecological attributes and responsiveness to climate change.
Urban parks;Artificial green space;Natural green space;Assessment component;Carbon storage capacity
- Sung, H. C. 2007. Recommendations for the Improved Urban Park Policy in Gyeonggi Province through Analyzing Designation and Creation Rationale. Journal of Korean Society of Rural Planning. Vol.13, No.3, pp. 111-122.
- Sung, H. C. and Hwang, S. Y. 2012. A Study on the Urban Ecosystem Assessment for 31 Cities & Counties around the Capital. Journal of the Korea Society of Environmental Restoration Technology. Vol.15, No.5, pp. 165-176. https://doi.org/10.13087/kosert.2012.15.5.165
- Torstein Valand.Willy Bartholdsen.Morten Ottestad and Magne Vage, GRIMSTAD RENEWABLE ENERGY PARK, Agder University College, NO-4878 Grimstad, Norway. http://ieahia.org/pdfs/grimstad.pdf.
- Yaling Qian, Ronald F. Follettb, John M. Kimble (2009) Soil Organic Carbon Input from Urban Turfgrasses, Soil Science Society Of America Journal, 74(2), 366-371.
- Yeom, I. S. 2011. Development and Application of Evaluation Model for Planning System of Low-Carbon Green City on Climate Change. Ph.D. Dissertation, ChungNam National University.
- Yoon, Y. H. 2003. Forest Stratification Effect of Air Temperature and Humidity in the Green Space. Korean Journal of Environmental Biology. Vol.21, No.2, pp. 120-125.
- Yu, I. P. 2007. A Syudy on Planning and Design Factors for Ecological Use of Storm Water Facility in Urban Park. Ph. D. Dissertation, SangMyung University.
- National Land Planning and Utilization Act.
- Act on Urban Parks, Greenbelts, ETC.
- Act on the Promotion of the Development, Use and Diffusion of New and Renewable Energy.
- Ministry of Environment. 2012. Development of climate change adaptation and management technique, and supportive system.
- Ban, Y. U..Youn, J. S..Jeong, J. H..Woo, H. M..Joo, K. S..Choi, N. R..Kim, Y. M. and Baek, J. I. 2011. Urban Planning Strategies in Integrated Response to Climate Change through Expert Survey. Seoul Studies. Vol.12, No.4, pp. 41-63.
- Hwang, H. Y..Jang, Y. H. and Hwang, H. J. 2009. Development and Application of an Ecological Assessment Model in Urban:case of Cheongju. Journal of Korea Planners Association. Vol. 44, No. 6, pp. 183-195.
- Jeong, S. Y. and Kim, K. B. 2006, Urban Ecological Park Design: A Case of Namsan Rehabilitation Project. Seoul Studies. Vol.7, No.1, pp. 101-122.
- Kim, E. L. 2005. A Study on the Evaluation of Ecological properties for the Urban neighborhood park -In the case of Songpa-Gu, Seoul-. Master's Thesis, Hanyang University.
- Kim, J. H..Han, B. H. and Lee, K. J. 2006. Development of Urban Ecosystem Evaluation Considering Biotop type. Journal of Korea Planners Association. Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 167-184.
- Lee, J. J. and Choi, S. H. 2009. A Study on the Development of the Planning Indicator for Carbon Neutral on the District Unit Plan. Journal of Korea Planners Association. Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 119-131.
- Lee, J. S..Lee, S. K..Han, J..Song, Y. H..Kim, O. K. and Hwang, H. Y. 2008. The Awareness of Ecological Contribution, Construction and Cost Efficiency on the Planning Elements of Ecological Housing Complex. Journal of Architectural Institute of Korea. Vol.24, No.4, pp. 63-70.
Park, E. J. and Jwa, S. H. 2009. Quantification of
$CO_2$Uptake by Urban Trees and Greenspace Management for C Sequestration. Gyeonggi Research Institute. Vol. 2009, No. 11.
- Park, H. S. 2010. A study on the Planning Indicators of Low Carbon New Town for Climate Change. Master's Thesis, Inha University.
- The Evaluation of Connectivity between Natural Environment (Forests and Rivers) and Neighborhood Parks Inside Cities in Gyeonggi-do vol.18, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.13087/kosert.2015.18.5.49
- An Integrated Assessment of Green Environment on Urban Space vol.17, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.11108/kagis.2014.17.2.015
- Planning of Neighborhood Parks for the Disaster Prevention in Jecheon City vol.2, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.17820/eri.2015.2.4.296
- A Study on the Ecological Attributes Assessment and Comparison of Urban Parks according to Types of the Surrounding Green Areas vol.18, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.13087/kosert.2015.18.2.119
Supported by : 환경부