- Volume 23 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study of Locally Changing Pore Characteristics and Hydraulic Anisotropy due to Bedding of Porous Sandstone
다공질 사암의 층리에 따른 국부적 공극특성 변화와 수리 이방성 특성
- Yang, Hwa-Young ;
- Kim, Hanna ;
- Kim, Kyeongmin ;
- Kim, Kwang Yeom (Korea Institute of Construction Technology) ;
- Min, Ki-Bok
- 양화영 (과학기술연합대학원 대학교 지반신공간공학부) ;
- 김한나 (서울대학교 공과대학 에너지시스템공학부) ;
- 김경민 (과학기술연합대학원 대학교 지반신공간공학부) ;
- 김광염 (한국건설기술연구원 SOC성능연구소 Geo인프라연구실) ;
- 민기복 (서울대학교 에너지자원공학과)
- Received : 2013.06.10
- Accepted : 2013.06.27
- Published : 2013.06.30
Anisotropy observed in sedimentary rock such as sandstone is mainly caused by existence of bedding consequently influencing on its hydraulic characteristics. The aim of this study is to investigate the influence of locally changing pore structure due to bedding on the hydraulic anisotropy of sandstone, in terms of localized porosity. X-ray CT scan is applied to observe the internal pore structures which is hard to be seen by other experimental methods. Permeability test is also conducted for samples cored at every
Porous sandstone;Hydraulic anisotropy;Permeability;X-ray CT;Porosity
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원
- Louis, L., David, C., Metz, V., Robion, P., Menendez, B. and Kissel, C., 2005, Microstructural control on the anisotropy of elastic and transport properties in undeformed sandstones, International Journal of Rock Mechanics & Mining Sciences, 42, 911-923. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2005.05.004
- Louis, L., Baud, P. and Wong, T-F., 2009, Microstructural Inhomogeneity and Mechanical Anisotropy Associated with Bedding in Rothbach Sandstone, Pure appl. geophys, 166, 1063-1087. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00024-009-0486-1
- Matsukura, Y., Hashizume, K. and Oguchi, C.T., 2002, Effect of microstructure and weathering on the strength anisotropy of porous rhyolite, Engineering Geology, 63, 39-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-7952(01)00067-9
- Meyer, R. 2002, Anisotropy of Sandstone Permeability, CREWES Research Report, 14.
- Rasolofosaon P. N. J. and Zinszner, B. E., 2002, Comparison between permeability anisotropy and elasticity anisotropy of reservoir rocks, Geophysics, 67(1), 230-240. https://doi.org/10.1190/1.1451647
- Stewart, M. L., Ward, A. L. and Rector, D. R., 2006, A study of pore geometry effects on anisotropy in hydraulic permeability using the lattice-Boltzmann method, Advances in Water Resources, 29, 1328-1340. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advwatres.2005.10.012
- Walls, J. D. 1982, Effects on pore pressure, confining pressure and partial saturation on permeability of sandstone, A dissertation submitted to the department of geophysics and the committee on graduate studies of In partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of doctor of philosophy, Stanford University.
- Zhang X-M., YANG F. and YANG J-S., 2010, Experimental study on anisotropic strength properties of sandstone, EJGE, 15, 1325-1335.
- Choi, A-S., Cho, M-S., Kim, Y-S., 2000, A study on the fracture mechanism and the test for strength properties of the granite-gneiss, Journal of Korean Society for Rock Mechanics, Tunnel & Underground, 10, 165-172.
- Choi, M-J and Yang, H-S., 2005, Anisotropic analysis of tunnel in transversely isotropic rock, Journal of Korean Society for Rock Mechanics, Tunnel & Underground Space, 15(6), 391-399.
- Cho, J-W., Kim, H., Jeon, S. and Min, K-B., 2012, Deformation and strength anisotropy of Asan Gneiss, Boryeong Shale, and Yeoncheon Schist, Internal Journal of Rock Mechanics & Minining Sciences, 50, 158-169. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2011.12.004
- Choo, M., Song, I., Lee, H., kim, T. and Chang, C., 2011, Application of the Electrical Impedance of Rocks in Characterizing Pore Geometry, The Journal of Engineering Geology, 21,4, 323-336. https://doi.org/10.9720/kseg.2011.21.4.323
- Clavaud, J-B., Maineult, A., Zamora, M., Rasolofosaon, P. and Schlitter, C., 2008, Permeability anisotropy and its relations with porous medium structure, Journal Of Geophysical Research, 113.
- David, C. and Darot, M., 1993, Pore structures and transport properties of sandstone, Transport in porous media, 11, 161-177. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01059632
- Dehler, W. and Labuz, J. F., 2007, 'Stress path testing of an Anisotropic sandstone,' J.Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 133, 116-119. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2007)133:1(116)
- Gatelier, N., Pellet, F. and Loret, B., 2002, Mechanical damage of an anisotropic porous rock in cyclic triaxial tests, International Journal of Rock Mechanics & Mining Sciences, 39, 335-354. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1365-1609(02)00029-1
- Grattoni, C. A. and Dawe, R. A., 1995, Anisotropy in pore structure of porous media, Powder Technology, 85, 143-151. https://doi.org/10.1016/0032-5910(95)03016-3
- Harrison, J. P. and Hudson, J. A., 2001, Engineering Rock Mechanics Part 2: Illustrative worked examples. Elsevier.
- Kim, H-Y., 1995, Determination of elastic constants of transversely isotropic rocks by simple uni-axial test, Journal of Korean Society for Rock Mechanics, Tunnel & Underground Space, 5, 318-322.
- Kim, H., Cho, J-W., Song, I. and Min, K-B., 2012, Anisotropy of elastic moduli, P-wave velocities, and thermal conductivities of Asan Gneiss, Boryeong Shale, and Yeoncheon Schist in Korea, Engineering Geology, 147-148, 68-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2012.07.015
- Kim, Y-S., Seo, I-S., Heo, N-Y., Lee, J-H. and Kim, B-T., 2001, Engineering characteristics of shales due to the angle of bedding plane, The Journal of Korea Geotechnical society, 17, 1, 5-13.
- Lee, Y-K., and Choi, B-H., 2011, Anisotropic version of Mohr-Coulomb failure criterion for transversely isotropic rock, Journal of Korean Society for Rock Mechanics, Tunnel & Underground Space, 21(3), 174-180.
- Louis, L., David, C., David, R. and Philippe, R., 2003, Comparison of the anisotropic behaviour of undeformed sandstones under dry and saturated conditions, Tectonophysics, 370, 193-212. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0040-1951(03)00186-0
- Al-Harthi A. A., 1998, Effect of planar structures on the anisotropy of Ranyah sandstone, Saudi Arabia, Engineering Geology, 50, 49-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-7952(97)00081-1
- Amadei, B., 1996, Importance of Anisotropy when Estimation and Measuring In Situ Stress in Rock, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Science and Geomechanics Abstracts, 33,3, 293-325. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-9062(95)00062-3
- Baud, P., Louis, L., David, C., Rawling G. C., and Wong, T-F., 2005, Effects of bedding and foliation on mechanical anisotropy, damage evolution and failure mode, Geological Society Abstracts, 245, 223-249. https://doi.org/10.1144/GSL.SP.2005.245.01.11
- Bear, J., 1972, Dynamics of fluids in porous media, American elsevier publishing, N.Y.: Dover publications.
- Benson, P.M., Meredith, P.G., Platzman, E.S. and White, R.E., 2005, Pore fabric shape anisotropy in porous sandstones and its relation to elastic wave velocity and permeability anisotropy under hydrostatic pressure, International Journal of Rock Mechanics & Mining Sciences, 42, 890-899. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2005.05.003
- Chenevert, M.E. and Gatlin, C., 1965, Mechanical Anisotropies of Laminated Sedimentary Rocks, Society of petroleum engineers journal, 67-77.
- Strength Anisotropy of Berea Sandstone: Results of X-Ray Computed Tomography, Compression Tests, and Discrete Modeling vol.49, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-015-0820-0