- Volume 21 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Impact of Cognitive Workload on Driving Performance and Visual Attention in Younger and Older Drivers
인지부하가 시각주의와 운전수행도에 미치는 영향에 관한 연령대별 분석
- Received : 2012.05.02
- Accepted : 2013.01.22
- Published : 2013.07.01
Visual demands associated with in-vehicle display usage and text messaging distract a driver's visual attention from the roadway. To minimize eyes-off-the-road demands, voice interaction systems are widely introduced. Under cognitively distracted condition, however, awareness of the operating environment will be degraded although the driver remains oriented to the roadway. It is also know that the risk of inattentive driving varies with age, thus systematic analysis of driving risks is required for the older drivers. This paper aims to understand the age-related driving performance degradation and visual attention changes under auditory cognitive demand which consists of three graded levels of cognitive complexity. In this study, two groups, aged 25-35 and 60-69, engaged in a delayed auditory recall task, so called N-back task, while driving a simulated highway. Comparisons of younger and older drivers' driving performance including mean speed, speed variability and standard deviation of lane position, and gaze dispersion changes, which consist of x-axis and y-axis of visual attention, were conducted. As a result, it was observed that gaze dispersion decreased with each level of demand, demonstrating that these indices can correctly rank order cognitive workload. Moreover, gaze dispersion change patterns were quite consistent in younger and older age groups. Effects were also observed on driving performance measures, but they were subtle, nonlinear, and did not effectively differentiate the levels of cognitive workload.
Cognitive workload;Visual attention;Driving performance;Older driver;Driver distraction;Driving simulation
- J. L. Harbluk, Y. I. Noy, P. L. Trbovich and M. Eizenman, "An On-road Assessment of Cognitive Distraction: Impacts on Drivers' Visual Behavior and Braking Performance," Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol.39, No.2, pp.372-279, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2006.08.013
- B. Reimer, "Cognitive Task Complexity and the Impact on Drivers' Visual Tunneling," Transportation Research Record, Vol.2138, pp.13-19, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3141/2138-03
- T. W. Victor, J. L. Harbluk and J. A. Engstrom, "Sensitivity of Eye Movement Measures to In-task Difficulty," Transportation Research Part F, Vol.8, pp.167-190, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trf.2005.04.014
- Y. S. Park, S. W. Park, T. Y. Lee and J. Son, "Impact of Cognitive Demand on Drivers' Visual Attention in Driving Simulator," Proc. on Ergonomic Society of Korea Fall Conference, pp.180-183, 2010.
- M. A. Recarte and L. M. Nunes, "Mental Workload while Driving: Effects on Visual Search, Discrimination, and Decision Making," Journal of Experimental Psychology : Applied, Vol.9, No.2, pp.119-137, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1037/1076-898X.9.2.119
- J. Son, B. Reimer, B. Mehler, A. E. Pohlmeyer, K. M. Godfrey, J. Orszulak, J. Long, M. H. Kim, Y. Lee and J. F. Coughlin, "Age and Cross-cultural Comparison of Drivers' Cognitive Workload and Performance in Simulated Urban Driving," Int. J. Automotive Technology, Vol.11, No.4, pp.533-539, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12239-010-0065-6
- J. Son, Y. Lee and M. H. Kim, "Impact of Traffic Environment and Cognitive Workload on Older Drivers' Behavior in Simulated Driving," International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, Vol.12, No.1, pp.135-141, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-011-0017-8
- J. A. Engstrom, E. Johansson and J. Oslund, "Effects of Visual and Cognitive Load in Real and Simulated Motorway Driving," Transportation Research Part F, Vol.8, No.2, pp.97-120, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trf.2005.04.012
- B. Reimer, J. F. Coughlin and B. Mehler, "Development of a Driver Aware Vehicle for Monitoring, Managing and Motivating Older Operator Behavior," Proceedings of the ITSAmerica, pp.1-9, Washington DC, 2009.
- J. Son and M. Park, "Estimating Cognitive Load Complexity Using Performance and Physiological Data in a Driving Simulator," Adjust Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference, Automotive User Interfaces and Interactive Vehicular Applications, Salzburg, 2011.
- P. Green, "Driver Distraction, Telematics Design, and Workload Managers: Safety Issues and Solutions," SAE 2004-21-0022, 2004.
- B. Reimer and M. Sodhi, "Detecting Eye Movements in Dynamic Environments," Behavior Research Methods, Vol.38, No.4, pp.667-682, 2006. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193900
- M. Sodhi and B. Reimer, "Glance Analysis of Driver Eye Movements to Evaluate Distraction," Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers, Vol.34, No.4, pp.529-538, 2002. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03195482
- C. Ahlstrom, K. Kircher and A. Kircher, "Considerations when Calculating Percent Road Center From Eye Movement Data in Driver Distraction Monitoring," Proceedings of the Fifth International Driving Symposium on Human Factors in Driver Assessment, Training and Vehicle Design, Big Sky, MT, pp.132-139, 2009.
- Y. F. Tsai, E. Viirre, C. Strychacz, B. Chase and T. P. Jung, "Task Performance and Eye Activity: Predicting Behavior Relating to Cognitive Workload," Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine, Vol.78, No.5, pp.176-185, 2007.
- M. F. Folstein, S. E. Folstein and P. R. McHugh, "Mini-mental State: A Practical Method for Grading the Cognitive State of Patients for the Clinician," Journal of Psychiatric Research, Vol.12, No.3, pp.189-198, 1975. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3956(75)90026-6
- R. J. Stolwyka, J. L. Charltonb, T. J. Triggsab, R. Iansekc and J. L. Bradshawa, "Neuropsychological Function and Driving Ability in People with Parkinson's Disease," Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, Vol.28, No.6, pp.898-913, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1080/13803390591000909
- E. Y. Uc, M. Rizzo, S. W. Anderson, J. D. Sparks, R. L. Rodnitzky and J. D. Dawson, "Driving with Distraction in Parkinson Disease," Neurology, Vol.67, No.10, pp.1774-1780, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1212/01.wnl.0000245086.32787.61
- J. A. Angell, P. A. Austria, D. Kochhar, L. Tijerina, W. Biever, T. Diptiman, J. Hogsett and S. Kiger, "Driver Workload Metrics Task 2 Final Report," NHTSA, Report No.DOT HS 810 653, 2006.
- J. Son and S. W. Park, "Cognitive Workload Estimation through Lateral Driving Performance," Proceedings of the 16th Asia Pacific Automotive Engineering Conference, Chennai, SAE 2011-28-0039, 2011.