- Volume 12 Issue 2
The number of airline passengers in China has rapidly increased, so understanding the relationship between brand equity of airlines in China and ticket purchase intention of Chinese passengers is important for airline business success in China. Using the structural equation modeling, this study explores the relationships among determinants of brand equity as well as the relationships between brand equity, transition cost, and purchase intention. The major findings are: brand equity of airlines directly influences purchase intention; transition cost directly influences brand equity; and transition cost indirectly influences purchase intention in China. In addition, the results show that marketing strategies using the airline brand can be more effective for certain customer groups, including high income customers, married customers, government servants, and businessmen.
Airline Brand;Structural Equation Modeling;Brand Equity;China;Purchase Intention;Brand Marketing
- Aaker, D. A. (1991), Managing Brand Equity: Capitalizing on the Value of a Brand Name, Free Press, New York, NY.
- Aaker, D. A. (1996), Measuring brand equity across products and markets, California Management Review, 38(3), 102-120. https://doi.org/10.2307/41165845
- Aksoy, S., Atilgan, E., and Akinci, S. (2003), Airline services marketing by domestic and foreign firms: differences from the customers' viewpoint, Journal of Air Transport Management, 9(6), 343-351. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0969-6997(03)00034-6
- Atilgan, E., Aksoy, S., and Akinci, S. (2005), Determinants of the brand equity: a verification approach in the beverage industry in Turkey, Marketing Intelligence and Planning, 23(3), 237-248. https://doi.org/10.1108/02634500510597283
- Allison, R. I. and Uhl, K. P. (1964), Brand identification and perception, Journal of Marketing Research, 1, 36-39. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150054
- Andreassen, T. W. and Lindestad, B. (1998), Customer loyalty and complex services: the impact of corporate image on quality, customer satisfaction and loyalty for customers with varying degrees of service expertise, International Journal of Service Industry Management, 9(1), 7-23. https://doi.org/10.1108/09564239810199923
- Aydin, S. and Ozer, G. (2005), The analysis of antecedents of customer loyalty in the Turkish mobile telecommunication market, European Journal of Marketing, 39(7-8), 910-925. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090560510601833
- Bendixen, M., Bukasa, K. A., and Abratt, R. (2004), Brand equity in the business-to-business market, Industrial Marketing Management, 33(5), 371-380. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2003.10.001
- Bettman, J. R., John D. R., and Scott, C. A. (1986), Covariation assessment by consumers, Journal of Consumer Research, 13(3), 316-326. https://doi.org/10.1086/209071
- Carlsson, F. and Lofgren, A. (2006), Airline choice, switching costs and frequent flyer programmes, Applied Economics, 38(13), 1469-1475. https://doi.org/10.1080/00036840500419608
- Chen, C. F. (2008), Investigating structural relationships between service quality, perceived value, satisfaction, and behavioral intentions for air participants: evidence from Taiwan, Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 42(4), 709-717. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tra.2008.01.007
- Chen, C. F. and Chang, Y. Y. (2008), Airline brand equity, brand preference, and purchase intentions: the moderating effects of switching costs, Journal of Air Transport Management, 14(1), 40-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jairtraman.2007.11.003
- Freidman, H. H. and Dipple, W. S. Jr. (1978), The effect of masculine and feminine brand names on the perceived taste of a cigarette, Decision Sciences, 9(3), 467-471 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5915.1978.tb00735.x
- Heide, J. B. and Weiss, A. M. (1995), Vendor consideration and switching behavior for buyers in hightechnology markets, Journal of Marketing, 59(3), 30-43. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252117
- Hu, S. J., Jou, S. Y., and Liu, Y. H. (2009), Structural equation model for brand image measurement of jeans, Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Hybrid Intelligent Systems, Shenyang, China, 89-94.
- Hwang, J. and Kandampully, J. (2012), The role of emotional aspects in younger consumer-brand relationships, Journal of Product and Brand Management, 21(2), 98-108. https://doi.org/10.1108/10610421211215517
- Jacoby, J., Olson, J. C., and Haddock, R. A. (1971), Price, brand name, and product composition characteristics as determinants of perceived quality, Journal of Applied Psychology, 55(6), 570-579. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0032045
- Jones, M. A., Mothersbaugh, D. L., and Beatty, S. E. (2000), Switching barriers and repurchase intentions in services, Journal of Retailing, 76(2), 259-274. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(00)00024-5
- Jones, M. A., Mothersbaugh, D. L., and Beatty, S. E. (2002), Why customers stay: measuring the underlying dimensions of services switching costs and managing their differential strategic outcomes, Journal of Business Research, 55(6), 441-450. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(00)00168-5
- Keller, K. L. (1993), Conceptualizing, measuring, and managing customer-based brand equity, Journal of Marketing, 57(1), 1-22.
- Keller, L. K. (2012), Strategic Brand Management (4th ed.), Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- Kim. W. G. and Kim H. B. (2004), Measuring customerbased restaurant brand equity: investigating the relationship between brand equity and firm's performance, Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly, 45(2), 115-131. https://doi.org/10.1177/0010880404264507
- Klemperer, P. (1987), The competitiveness of markets with switching costs, RAND Journal of Economics, 18(1), 138-150. https://doi.org/10.2307/2555540
- Lassar, W., B. Mittal, and Sharma, A. (1995), Measuring customer-based brand equity, Journal of Consumer Marketing, 12(4), 11-19. https://doi.org/10.1108/07363769510095270
- Lee, J., Lee, J., and Feick, L. (2001), The impact of switching costs on the customer satisfaction-loyalty link: mobile phone service in France, Journal of Services Marketing, 15(1), 35-48. https://doi.org/10.1108/08876040110381463
- Monga, A. B. and John, D. R. (2007), Cultural differences in brand extension evaluation: the influence of analytic versus holistic thinking, Journal of Consumer Research, 33(4), 529-536 https://doi.org/10.1086/510227
- Ostrowski, P. L., O'Brien, T. V., and Gordon, G. L. (1993), Service quality and customer loyalty in the commercial airline industry, Journal of Travel Research, 32(2), 16-24. https://doi.org/10.1177/004728759303200203
- Panchal, S. K., Khan, B. M., and Ramesh. S. (2012), Importance of 'brand loyalty, brand awareness and perceived quality parameters' in building brand equity in the Indian pharmaceutical industry, Journal of Medical Marketing, 12(2), 81-92. https://doi.org/10.1177/1745790412440569
- Pappu, R., Quester, P. G., and Cooksey, R. W. (2005), Consumer-based brand equity: improving the measurement: empirical evidence. Journal of Product and Brand Management, 14(3), 143-154. https://doi.org/10.1108/10610420510601012
- Park, J. W., Robertson, R., and Wu, C. L. (2004), The effect of airline service quality on participants' behavioural intentions: a Korean case study, Journal of Air Transport Management, 10(6), 435-439. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jairtraman.2004.06.001
- Richardson, P. S., Dick, A. S., and Jain, A. K. (1994), Extrinsic and intrinsic cue effects on perceptions of store brand quality, Journal of Marketing, 58(4), 28-36. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251914
- Rossiter, J. and L. Percy (1997), Advertising Communications and Promotion Management, McGraw-Hill Companies.
- Severi, E. and Ling, K. C. (2013), The mediating effects of brand association, brand loyalty, brand Image and perceived quality on brand equity, Asian Social Science, 9(3), 125-137.
- Shimp, T. A. and Bearden, W. O. (1982), Warranty and other extrinsic are effects on consumer's risk perceptions, Journal of Consumer Research, 9(1), 38-46. https://doi.org/10.1086/208894
- Sujan, M. (1985), Consumer knowledge: effect on evaluation strategies mediating consumer judgment, Journal of Consumer Research, 12(1), 31-46. https://doi.org/10.1086/209033
- Srivastava, R. K. and Shocker A. D. (1991), Brand equity: a perspective on its meaning and measurement. Technical Report No. 91-124, Marketing Science Institute, Cambridge, MA.
- Sultan, F. and Simpson, M. C. (2000), International service variants: airline passenger expectations and perceptions of service quality, Journal of Services Marketing, 14(2/3), 188-216. https://doi.org/10.1108/08876040010327211
- Tolba, A. H. and Hassan, S. S. (2009), Linking customer based brand equity with brand market performance: a managerial approach, Journal of Product and Brand Management, 18(5), 356-366. https://doi.org/10.1108/10610420910981837
- Villarejo-Ramos, A. F. and Sanchez-Franco, M. J. (2005), The impact of marketing communication and price promotion on brand equity, Journal of Brand Management, 12(6), 431-444 https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.bm.2540238
- Weiss, A. M. and Anderson, E. (1992), Converting from independent to employee salesforces: the role of perceived switching costs, Journal of Marketing Research, 29(1), 101-115. https://doi.org/10.2307/3172496
- Yang, Z. and Peterson, R. T. (2004), Customer perceived value, satisfaction, and loyalty: the role of switching costs, Psychology and Marketing, 21(10), 799-822. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20030
- Yoo, B. and Donthu, N. (2001), Developing and validating a multidimensional consumer-based brand equity scale, Journal of Business Research, 52(1), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(99)00098-3
- Yoo, B., Donthu, N., and Lee, S. (2000), An examination of selected marketing mix elements and brand equity, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 28(2), 195-211. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070300282002
- Zeithaml, V. A. (1988), Consumer perceptions of price, quality, and value: a means-end model and synthesis of evidence, The Journal of Marketing, 52(3), 2-22. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251446
- Zinnbauer, M. A. and Bakay, Z. (2004), Modeling brand equity in a modern business context, SAM/IFSAM VII World Congress, 5-7 July, 2004, Goteborg, Sweden.
- Preannouncement messages: impetus for electronic word-of-mouth pp.1759-3948, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/02650487.2017.1391679