- Volume 31 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Comparative Study of Abused Children and General Children's Emotional Intelligence and Emotion Regulation
학대받은 아동과 일반 아동의 정서지능과 정서조절 비교연구
- Choi, Ji-Kyung (Dept. of Child Studies, Myongji Univ.) ;
- Han, You-Jin (Dept. of Child Studies, Myongji Univ.)
- Received : 2013.03.15
- Accepted : 2013.05.13
- Published : 2013.06.30
The purpose of this study was to investigate the emotional ability between abused children and general children by comparing their emotional intelligence and emotional control. Participants were 17 abused children who had been separated from their abusers and 17 general children, all elementary school students. The answers to the questionnaire items on emotional intelligence and situations of emotional motivation were analyzed by Mann-Whitney U as a study tool. The results of this study were as follows: First, the difference of emotional intelligence between abused children and general children was statistically significant. Abused children received lower scores than general children when it came to their emotional recognition, emotional expression, empathy, and emotional regulation as a subordinate scope of emotional intelligence. Second, the difference of emotional regulation strategy between abused children and general children was statistically significant. Abused children presented negative responses and less frequently used positive strategy, inhibitory avoidance strategy and alternative strategy than general children. Third, the difference of emotional regulation motivation between abused children and general children was statistically significant. Abused children presented less prosocial motivation, motivation of self-preservation and normative motivation than general children.
- 보건복지부․중앙아동보호전문기관 (2011). 전국 아동학대 현황보고서.
- Cassidy, J., Parke, R. D., Burkovsky, M. L., & Braungart, J. M.(1992). Family-peer connection: The role of emotional expressiveness within the family and children's understanding of emotions. Child Development, 63, 603-618. https://doi.org/10.2307/1131349
- Chae, Y.(2010). Young children's emotion control & social ability according to parenting attitude. Journal of Young Child Studies, 13, 117-132.
- Choi, Y.(1989). Aggression and empathy in the abused child. Unpublished master's thesis. Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- Cole, P. M., Zahn-Waxler, C., & Smith, K. D.(1994). Expressive control during a disappointment: Variations related to preschoolers' behavior problems. Developmental Psychology, 30(6), 835-846. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-1618.104.22.1685
- Crick, N. R. & Dodge, K. A.(1996). Social information-processing mechanisms in reactive and proactive aggression. Child Development, 67(3), 993-1002. https://doi.org/10.2307/1131875
- Davis, T.(1996). Gender differences in masking negative emotions: Ability or motivation? Developmental Psychology, 31, 660-667.
- Egeland, B., Breitenbucher, M., & Rosenberg, D.(1980). A prospective study of the significance of life stress in the etiology of child abuse. Journal of Clinical and Consulting Psychology, 48, 195-205. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.48.2.195
- Ekman, P. & Frisen, W.(1975). Unmasking the face. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Folkman, S.(1984). Personal control stress & coping process: Atheoretical analysis, Journal of personality & Social psychology, 46, 839-852. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1249
- Goleman, D.(1995). Emotional intelligence. N.Y. Bantam Books.
- Gottman, J. M. & Katz, L. F.(1989). Effects of marital discord on young children's peer interaction and health. Development Psychology, 25(3), 373-381. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-16126.96.36.1993
- Han, E.(2004). Children's motive and competence for emotional regulation and behavior problems. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 42(3), 65-77.
- Han, E.(2005). Emotion regulation as a predictor of aggression and peer relationships in school-age children. Child Studies in Diverse Contexts, 26(4), 85-100.
- Han, E.(2006). Affective predictors of school-age children' s aggression and peer relationships: Direct and indirect effects. Journal of the Korean Home Management Association, 24(5), 1-15
- Hart, S. N., Germain, R. B., & Brassard, M. R.(1987) Psychological maltreatment of children and youth. N.Y.: Pergamon Press
- Hwang, E.(2006). The mediating effects of self-conscious affects on depression and anxiety in children's abusive experience. Unpublished master's thesis. Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- Hwang, H.(1999). The relationship between children's emotion intelligence and emotional & behavioural problems. The Journal of Elementary Education, 13(1), 67-84.
- Hubbard, J. A. & Coie, J. D.(1994). Emotional correlate of social competence in children's peer relationship. Merrill-Palmer Quarterly, 40, 1-20
- Jang, M. & Lee, J.(2011). Effects of mother attachment, rejection sensitivity, and emotional regulation on children's peer relationships. The Journal of Play Therapy, 14(1), 35-53.
- Kang, J.(2000). Study of relationship between satisfaction of body image and stress coping style. Unpublished master's thesis. Ewha Women's University, Seoul.
- Kempe, C. H.(1962), The battered child syndrome. Journal of the American Medical Association, 181(July), 17-24. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1962.03050270019004
- Kim, E.(2008). The recognition of facial emotion and attributional bias influenced on depression and aggression in abused children. Unpublished doctoral dissertation. Hanyang University, Seoul.
- Kim, G.(1993). The influence of child abused on children's aggression. Journal of Rehabilitation Psychology, 1(1), 85-100.
- Kim, H.(1994). The relation between verbal aggression by parents and children's emotional maladjustment behavior. Unpublished master's thesis. Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- Kim, H. & Kim, Y.(2009). Socio-demographic variables, family emotional environment, maternal discipline style, & school children's emotional regulation. Journal of the Korean Home Management Association, 27(3). 145-158.
- Kwon, Y.(2002). Children's social competence : effects of emotionality, interpersonal problem solving strategies, and maternal behaviors during mother-child interaction. Unpublished doctoral dissertation. Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Kurtines, C. A.(1989). Developing self-esteem and creativity in the preschool child. Unpublished Doctoral dissertation. University of Miami.
- Lee, J. & Moon, H.(2008). Effects of children's emotionality, emotion regulation, and maternal parenting behaviors on children's peer competence. Child Studies in Diverse Contexts, 29(4), 1-14.
- Lim, H. & Park, S.(2002). Child's sex, temperament, mother's emotion regulation and parenting as related to child's emotion regulation. Child Studies in Diverse Contexts, 23(1), 37-54.
- Lim, Y.(2002). Children's peer competence in relation to maternal parenting styles and Children's emotion regulation. International Journal of Human Ecology, 40(1), 113-124.
- Main, M. & Goldwyn, R.(1984). Predicting rejection of her infant from mother's representation of her own experieence: Implication for the abused-abusing intergenerational cycle. Special Issue: Infant mental health from theory to intervention. Child Abuse & Neglect, 8, 203-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/0145-2134(84)90009-7
- Mavroveli, S., Petrides, K. V., Rieffe, C., & Backer, F. (2007). Trait emotional intelligence, psychological well-being and peer-rated social competence in adolescence. Journal of Development Psychology, 25, 263-275. https://doi.org/10.1348/026151006X118577
- Moon, Y.(1996). Measuring emotional intelligence in Korea. Sejong Culture Publishing. Korea.
- Park, E.(2008). Development of the emotional regulation group counseling program for the familial abused runaway youths. Unpublished doctoral dissertation. Sookmyung Women's, Seoul.
- Park, H. & Park, S.(2002). Father's parenting behavior, son's emotional regulation as related to son's aggression. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 40(8), 87-98.
- Pervin, L. A.(1996). The science of personality. N.Y.: Wiley.
- Pollak, S. D., Cicchetti, D., Hornung, K., & Reed, A.(2000). Recognizing emotion in faces: Developmental effects of child abuse and neglect. Developmental Psychology, 36, 679-688. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-16188.8.131.529
- Quiggle, N., Garber, J., Panak, W., & Dodge, K.(1992). Social information processing in aggressive and depressed children. Child Development 63. 1305-1320. https://doi.org/10.2307/1131557
- Saarni, C.(1984). An observational study of children's attempts to monitor their expressive behavior. Child Development, 55, 1504-1513. https://doi.org/10.2307/1130020
- Saarni, C., Mumme, D. L., & Campos, J. J.(1998). Emotional development: Action, communication, and understanding. In W. Damon (Series Ed.) & N. Eisenberg (Vol. Ed.), Handbook of child psychology: Vol.3. Social, emotional, and personality development(5th ed., pp. 237-309). N.Y.: Wiley.
- Salovey, P. & Mayer, J. D.(1990). Emotional intelligence. Imagination, Cogniton and Personality, 9, 185-211.
- Shields, A. & Cicchetti, D.(1998). Reactive aggression among maltreated children: the contributions of attention and emotion dysregulation. Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, 27(4), 381-395. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15374424jccp2704_2
- Straus, M. A.(1991) Verbal aggression by parents and psychosocial problem of children. Child Abuse & Neglect, 15, 223-238. https://doi.org/10.1016/0145-2134(91)90067-N
- Underwood, M. K., Coie, J. D., & Herbsman, C. R.(1992). Display rules for anger and aggression in schoolage children. Child Development, 63, 366-380. https://doi.org/10.2307/1131485
- Underwood, M. K.(1997). Peer social status and children's understanding of the expression and control of positive and negative emotion. Merrill-Palmer Quarterly, 43, 610-634.