- Volume 29 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Influence of Sodium Hypochorite & EDTA on the Microtensile Bond Strength of Ethanol Wet Bonding
Ethanol Wet Bonding에서 NaOCl과 EDTA가 결합강도에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Deok-Joong ;
- Song, Yong-Beom ;
- Park, Sang-Hee ;
- Kim, Hyoung-Sun ;
- Lee, Hye-Yoon ;
- Yu, Mi-Kyung ;
- Lee, Kwang-Won
- Received : 2012.12.11
- Accepted : 2013.03.25
- Published : 2013.03.30
Sodium hypochlorite and ethylene diamine tetra acetic acid are substances usually used during endodontic treatment. Several studies found that the bonding was negated with certain irrigants and some of the used irrigants have demineralizing and chealating effects, so it was advocated to omit the etching step in etch and rinse adhesive systems. The purpose of this in vitro study was to evaluate the influence of NaOCl & EDTA on the bonding strength of ethanol wet bonding. Thirty human molars were selected and mesiodistally sectioned into halves, thus providing sixty specimens. The specimens were randomly assigned to 4 groups(n=15) according to the irrigant regimen used : (1) irrigated with distilled water for 10min (control); (2) irrigated with 5.25% NaOCl(10min), flushed with 5.25% NaOCl(1min) (3) irrigated with 5.25% NaOCl, flushed with 17% EDTA (4) irrigated with 5.25% NaOCl, flushed with 17% EDTA. Each group was acid-etched with 37% phosphoric acid(except group 4) and had their dentin surfaces dehydrated with ethanol solutions : 50%, 70%, 80%, 95%, 3x100%, 30s for each application. After dehydration, a primer( 50% all bond 3 resin + 50% ethanol) was used, followed by the adhesive(ALL-BOND 3 RESIN) application. Resin composite build-ups were then prepared using an incremental technique. Specimens were sectioned into beams and submitted to a tensile load using a Micro Tensile Tester(Bisco Inc.). The data were statistically analyzed using one-way ANOVA and Tukey HSD at p<0.5 level. There was no significant difference on G1(control) and G2(irrigated with NaOCl only ). (p>0.05). G3(flushed with EDTA) showed significantly high tensile bonding strength compared to the G2 (p<0.05). G4( treated with EDTA but no acid-etching) was significantly lower value than G3. (p<0.05) Although there was no significant difference, 5.25% NaOCl seemed to have an adverse effect on the bonding strength of ethanol wet bonding. The flushing with EDTA after NaOCl irrigation prevents the decrease of bonding strength. The use of 17% EDTA as a final flush can enhance the bonding strength but EDTA flushing can't substitute for a acid-etching.
ethanol wet bonding;bonding strength;irrigant solution;pulp chamber dentin;EDTA;sodium hypochlorite
- Belli S, Zhang Y, Pereira PNR, et al. Regional bond strengths of adhesive resins to pulp chamber dentin. J Endod 2001;27:527-32. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004770-200108000-00007
- Santos JN, Carrilho MRO, De Goes MF, et al. Effect of chemical irrigants on the bond strength of a self-etching adhesive to pulp chamber dentin. J Endod 2006;32:1088-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2006.07.001
- Kwon SM, Kim TG, Y MK, et al. Changes in μ -TBS to pulp chamber dentin after the application of NaOCl & reversal effect by using sodium ascorbate. J Kor Ac of Cons Dent 2009;34:515-25. https://doi.org/10.5395/JKACD.2009.34.6.515
- Fawzi EM, Elkassas EW, Ghoneim AG Bonding strategies to pulp chamber dentin treated with different endodontic irrigants: microshear bond strength testing and SEM analysis. J Adhes Dent 2010;12:63-70.
- Teixeira CS, Felippe MCS, Felippe WT. The effect of application time of EDTA and NaOCl on intracanal smear layer removal: an SEM analysis. Int Endod J 2005;38:285-90. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2591.2005.00930.x
- Estrela C, Estrela CR, Barbin EL, et al. Mechanism of action of sodium hypochlorite. Braz Dent J 2002;13:113-7. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0103-64402002000200007
- Estrela C, Estrela CR, Decurcio DA, et al. Antimicrobial efficacy of ozonated water, gaseous ozone, sodium hypochlorite and chlorohexidine in infected human root canals. Int Endod J 2007;40:85-93. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2591.2006.01185.x
- Baumfartner JC, Hohakl S, Marshall JG. Comparison of the antimicrobial efficacy of 1.3% NaOCl/BioPure MTAD to 5.35% NaOCl/ 15% EDTA for root canal irrigation. J Endod 2007;33:48-51.
- Morris MD, Lee KW, Agree KA, et al. Effects of sodium hypochlorite and RC-Prep on bond strengths of resin cement to endodontic surfaces. J Endod 2001;27:753-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004770-200112000-00010
- Ito S, Hashimoto M, Wadgaonkar B, et al, Effects or resin hydrophilicity on water sorption and changes in modulus of elasticity. Biomaterials. 2005;26:6449-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biomaterials.2005.04.052
- Tay FR, Pashley DH, Kapur RR, et al. Bonding BisGMA to dentin-a proof of concept for hydrophobic dentin bonding. J Dent Res 2007;86:1034-9. https://doi.org/10.1177/154405910708601103
- Pashley DH, Tay FR, Carvalho RM, et al. From dry bonding to water-wet bonding to ethanol-wet bonding. A review of the interactions between dentin matrix and solvated resins using a macromodel of the hybrid layer. Am J Dent 2007;20:7-20.
- Nakajima M, Kanemura N, Pereira PN, et al. Comparative microtensile bond strength and SEM analysis of bonding to wet and dry dentin. Am J Dent 2000;13:324-8.
- Meerbeek B, Yoshida Y, Lambrechts P, et al. A TEM study of two water-based adhesive systems bonded to dry and wet dentin. J Dent Res 1998;77:55-9.
- Tay FR, Gwinnett JA, Wei SH. Micromorphological spectrum from overdrying to overwetting acidconditioned dentin in water-free acetone-based, single -bottle primer/adhesive. Dent Mater 1996;12:236-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0109-5641(96)80029-7
- Hadhimoto M, Tay FR, Ito S, et al. Permeability of adhesive resin films. J Biomed Mater Res 2005;74:699-705.
- Malacarne J, Carvalho RM, de Goes MF, et al. Water sorption/solubility of dental adhesive resins. Dent Mater 2006;22:973-80 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2005.11.020
- Munck J, Meerbeek B, Yoshida Y, et al. Four-year water degradation of total-etch adhesives bonded to dentin. J Dent Res 2003;82:136-40 https://doi.org/10.1177/154405910308200212
- Koshiro K, Inoue S, Sano H, et al. In vivo degradation of resin-dentin bonds produced by a self-etch and an etch-and-rinse adhesive. Eur J Oral Sci 2005;113:341-8 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0722.2005.00222.x
- Munck J, Landuyt K, Peumans M, et al. A critical review of the durability of adhesion to tooth tissue: methods and results. J Dent Res 2005;84:118-32 https://doi.org/10.1177/154405910508400204
- Tay FR, Pashley DH. Have dentin adhesives become too hydrophilic? J Can Dent Assoc 2003;69:726-31
- Sadek FT, Pashley DH, Nishitani Y, et al. Application of hydrophobic resin adhesives to acid-etched dentin with an alternative wet bonding technique. J Bio Mater Res 2008;84:19-29
- Sadek FT, Mazzoni A, Breschi L, et al. Six-month evaluation of adhesives interface created by a hydrophobic adhesives to acid-etched ethanol-wet bonded dentine with simplified dehydration protocols. J Dent 2010;38:276-83 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2009.11.007
- Lai SCN, Mak UF, Cheung GSP, et al. Reversal of compromised bonding to oxidized etched dentin. J Dent Rest 2001;80:1919-24. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345010800101101
- Jeon SY, Lee KW, Yu MK. Influence of sodium ascorbate on microtensile bond strengths to pulp chamber dentin treated with NaOCl. J Kor Ac of Cons Dent 2008;33:545-52. https://doi.org/10.5395/JKACD.2008.33.6.545
- Farina AP, Cecchin D, Barbizam JVB, et al. Influence of endodotnic irrigants on bond strength of a self-etching adhesive. Aust Endod J 2011;37:26-30.
- Hawkins Cl, Davies MJ. Hypochlorite-induced oxidation of proteins in plasma: formation of chloramines and nitrogen-centered radicals and their role in protein fragmentation. Biochem J 1999;340: 539-48. https://doi.org/10.1042/0264-6021:3400539
- Ari H, Erdemir A. Effect of endodontic irrigant solutions on mineral content of root canal dentin using ICP-AES technique. J Endod 2005;31:187-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.don.0000137643.54109.81
- Sim TPC, Knowles JC, Ng T-L, et al. Effect of sodium hypochlorite on mechanical properties of dentine and tooth surface strain. Int Endod J 2001; 34:120-32. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2591.2001.00357.x
- Miyasak K, Nakabayashi N. Combination of EDTA conditioner and Phenyl-HEMA self-etching primer for bonding to dentin. Dent Mater 1999;15:153-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-5712(99)00025-1
- Weston CH, Ito S, Wadgaonkar B, et al. Effects of time and concentration of sodium ascorbate on reversal of NaOCl-induced reduction in bond strengths. J Endod 2007;33:879-81 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2007.04.004