- Volume 29 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Occlusal Contacts Using Add-picture Method
Add-picture 방법을 이용한 교합접촉점 분석
- Received : 2012.12.15
- Accepted : 2013.03.25
- Published : 2013.03.30
The purpose of this study was to analyze the area of occlusal contact points using visual method. One subject was selected who had Angle Class I, normal dentition, without dental caries, periodontal disease and temporomandibular disorders. Forty times PVS impressions were taken and 10 pairs casts were fabricated using dental super hard stone. After mounting the casts with customized loading apparatus, 78.9kg/f force was loaded as a maximum biting force. In T-Scan method, occlusal contact points measurement was repeated twice. Then, using Photoshop program (Adobe photoshop CS3, Adobe. San Jose, USA), the pixels which indicated occlusal contact points by color was recognized, and the distribution of recognized pixels were calculated to area. In Add picture method, polyether bite material applied to the occlusal surface of the casts. Then, the image of the translucent areas was recorded and classified
- Park SJ, Jung JH. Occlusal analysis of patients with temporomandibular dysfunction by use of T-Scan System. J Korean Acad Prosthodont 1991;29:121-
- Chai YA, Park NS, Choi BB. A study of the occlusal contact pattern during mandibular movement of adult with normal occlusion. J Korean Acad Prosthodont 1993;31:565-579.
- Dawson, P. E. Evaluation, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Occlusal Problems. Ch. 8: The Plane of Occlusion. St. Louis: C.V. Mosby; 1974. pp. 190-205.
- Berry DC, Singh BD. Effect of electromyographic biofeedback therapy on occlusal contacts. J Prosthet Dent 1984;51:397-403. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(84)90230-0
- Gazit E, Fitzig S, Lieberman MA. Reproducibility of occlusal marking techniques. J Prosthet Dent 1986;55:505-509. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(86)90188-5
- Berry DC, Singh BP. Daily variations in occlusal contacts. J Prosthet Dent 1983;50:386-391. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(83)80099-7
- Gary C. Anderson, John K. Schulte, Dorothee M. Aeppli. Reliability of the evaluation of occlusal contacts in the intercuspal position. J Prosthet Dent 1970;70:320-323.
- Elizabeth M. Bauer. Posterior Occlusal Changes with a Hawley Vs Perfector/Hawley Retainer: A Followup Study. Saint Louis University, 2008. p.16-24.
- Amsterdam, M., Purdum, L.C., Purdum, K.L. The occlusograph: A graphic representation of photocclusion data. J Prosthet Dent 1987;57:94-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(87)90123-5
- Gazit E, Lieberman MA. Occlusal contacts following orthodontic treatment. Measured by a photocclusion technique. Angle Orthod 1985;55:316-320.
- Maness WL, Benjamin M, Podoloff R. Computerized occlusal analysis: a new technology. Quintessence Int 1987;18:287-292.
- Sadamori S, Kotani H, Abekura H, Hamada T. Quantitive analysis of occlusal force balance in intercuspal position using the Dental Prescale system in patients with temporomandibular disorders. Int Chin J Dent 2007;7:43-47.
- Hattori Y, Okugawa H, Watanabe M. Occlusal force measurement using Dental Prescale. J Jpn Prosthodont Soc 1994;38: 835-841. https://doi.org/10.2186/jjps.38.835
- Okamoto K, Okamoto Y, Shinoda K, Tamura Y. Analysis of occlusal contacts of children by the T-Scan system. (1) The reproducibility of the sensor. Shoni Shikagaku Zasshi 1990;28:975-983.
- Maeda Y, Ohtani T, Okada M, Emura I, Sogo M, Mori T, Yoshida M, Nokubi T, Okuno Y. Clinical application of T-scan System. 1. Sensitivity and reproducibility and its application. Osaka Daigaku Shigaku Zasshi 1989;34:378-384.
- Kurt Rottner, Ernst-Jurgen Richter. Effect of occlusal morphology on the accuracy of bite force measurements using thin film transducers. Int J Prosthodont 2004;17:518-523.
- Tosa J, Tanaka M, Murata Y, Takada H, Kawazoe T. Reliability of computer-aided video system for measuring intraocclusal distances. J Jpn Prosthodont Soc 1993; 37: 1259-1264. https://doi.org/10.2186/jjps.37.1259
- Shannon Owens, Peter H. Buschang, Gaylord S. Throckmorton, Leslea Palmer, Jeryl English. Masticatory performance and areas of occlusal contact and near contact in subjects with normal occlusion and malocclusion. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2002;121:602-609. https://doi.org/10.1067/mod.2002.122829
- Sakaguchi RL, Anderson GC, DeLong R. Digital imaging of occlusal contacts in the intercuspal position. J Prosthodont 1994;3:193-197. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-849X.1994.tb00154.x
- Tosa J, Takada H, Murata Y, Tanaka M, Kawazoe T. Investigation of occlusal contact in patient with temporomandibular disorders using add-Picture method. Proceeding of Japanese Society of Stomatognathic Function 1988;7: 119-124.
- Tosa J, Tanaka M, Murata Y, Shao M, Ueda N, Kawazoe T. Visualization of occlusal contacs on a TV monitor. J Jpn Prosthodont Soc 1987;31:1553- 1557. https://doi.org/10.2186/jjps.31.1553
- Sato S, Ohta M, Sawatari M, Kawamura H, Motegi K. Occlusal contact area, occlusal pressure, bite force, and masticatory efficiency in patients with anterior disc displacement of the temporomandibular joint. J Oral Rehabil 1999;26:906-911. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2842.1999.00481.x
- Kim KS, Choi JH , Kim ST, Kim CY, Ahn HJ. Bite force, occlusal contact area and occlusal pressure of patients with temporomandibular joint internal derangement. Korean Journal of Oral Medicine 2006;31:265-274.
- Ehrlich, J., Taicher, S. Intercuspal contacts of the natural dentition in centric occlusion. J Prosthet Dent 1981;45:419 - 421. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(81)90104-9
- Chapman RJ. Principles of occlusion for implant prostheses : guideline for position, timing, and force of occlusal contacts. Quintessence Int 1989;20:473 - 480.
- Kim KS, Kim CW. An experimental study on occlusal and vertical changes after denture processing. J Korean Acad Prosthodont1990;28:77 - 89.
- McLean, L.F., Brenman, H.S., Friedman, M.G.F. : Effects of changing body position on dental occlusion. J Dent Res 1973;52:1041- 1045. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345730520050701
- Riise C. A clinical study of the number of occlusal tooth contacts in intercuspal position at light and hard pressure in adults. J Oral Rehabil 1982;9:469 - 477. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.1982.tb01036.x
- Riise, C., Ericsson, S.G. A clinical sutdy of the distribution of occlusal tooth contacts in intercuspal position at light and hard pressure in adults. J Oral Rehabil 1983;10:473 - 480. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.1983.tb01470.x
- Ledley RS. Engineering analysis of dental forces, theory and application. National biomedical research foundation. 1969
- Lindblom G. Bite analysis and its significance in modern odontology. Odont T 1969;77:63-79.
- Kim CS. An E.M.G. study of relationships between occlusal forces and masseter muscle. Graduate school Dankook university. 1989. P. 13
- Yoon HR, Choi YJ, Kim KH, Chung C. Comparisons of occlusal force according to occlusal relationship, skeletal pattern, age and gender in Koreans. Korean J Orthod. 2010;40:304-313. https://doi.org/10.4041/kjod.2010.40.5.304
- Carlsson GE. Bite force and chewing efficiency. Front Oral Physiol 1974;1:265-292. https://doi.org/10.1159/000392726
- Gibbs CH, Mahan PE, Lundeen HC, Brehnan K, Walsh EK, Holbrook WB. Occlusal forces during chewing and swallowing as measured by sound transmission. J Prosthet Dent 1981;46:443-449. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(81)90455-8
- Hattori Y, Satoh C, Kunieda T, Endoh R, Hisamatsu H, Watanabe M. Bite forces and their resultants during forceful intercuspal clenching in humans. J Biomechanics 2009;42:1533-1538. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2009.03.040
- Bonakdarchian M, Askari N, Askari M. Effect of face form on maximal molar bite force with natural dentition. Arch Oral Biol. 2009;54:201-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archoralbio.2008.11.009