- Volume 38 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
$CO_2$ Laser Application for Treatment of the Hairy Tongue
이산화탄소 레이저를 이용한 모설의 치료
- Jung, Da-Woon (Department of Orofacial Pain and Oral Medicine, College of Dentistry, Yonsei University) ;
- Cho, Eunae (Department of Orofacial Pain and Oral Medicine, College of Dentistry, Yonsei University) ;
- Ahn, Hyung-Joon (Department of Orofacial Pain and Oral Medicine, College of Dentistry, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2013.02.25
- Accepted : 2013.04.27
- Published : 2013.06.30
Hairy tongue is a disease caused by hypertrophy of filiform papillae on the tongue dorsum. Clinically, it occurs on the posterior 1/3 of the tongue dorsum and is rarely observed on the lateral and tip of the tongue. Several types of colored pigmentation from white to brown and black appear depending on the ingested food and the existing pigmentation inducing bacteria. Although clinically asymptomatic, patients will visit the clinic for esthetic problems and at rare intervals experience nausea, halitosis, dysgeusia and unpleasant sensation. The exact etiology is yet not known but causes such as inappropriate oral hygiene control, a shift in oral bacterium, infection, radiotherapy, use of antibacterial drugs or immunosuppressants, excessive smoking or alcohol drinking and decrease of salivary flow rate may be a factor of the disease. Clinical symptoms are quite typical and diagnosis may be made simply by observation, not necessarily biopsy. Treatment of hairy tongue is done by eliminating the etiology factors, brushing the tongue gently with a tongue cleaner and in some cases using keratolytic agent. Although it is rare to treat hairy tongue surgically, we will introduce a case successfully treated using carbondioxide laser(
- Laskaris G. Diseases of the Tongue. In: Laskaris G, editor. Color Atlas of Oral Diseases. 2nd ed. New York: Georg Thieme Verlag; 1994. p.92-101.
- Jontell M. Red and White Lesions of the Oral Mucosa. In: Greenberg MS, Glick M, Ship JA, editors. Burkits Oral Medicine. 11th ed. Hamilton; 2008. p.77-106.
- Korber A, Dissemond J. Images in clinical medicine. Black hairy tongue. N Engl J Med 2006;354:67. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMicm050117
- Koay CL, Lim JA, Siar CH. The prevalence of tongue lesions in Malaysian dental outpatients from the Klang Valley area. Oral Dis 2011;17:210-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-0825.2010.01724.x
- N Avcu AK. The prevalence of tongue lesions in 5150 Turkish dental outpatients. Oral Diseases 2003;9: 188-95. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1601-0825.2003.02933.x
- Farman AG. Hairy tongue (lingua villosa). J Oral Med 1977;32:85-91.
- Pigatto PD, Spadari F, Meroni L, Guzzi G. Black hairy tongue associated with long-term oral erythromycin use. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2008;22:1269-70. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-3083.2008.02621.x
- Cheshire WP, Jr. Unilateral black hairy tongue in trigeminal neuralgia. Headache 2004;44:908-10. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-4610.2004.04173.x
- Tamam L, Annagur BB. Black hairy tongue associated with olanzapine treatment: a case report. Mt Sinai J Med 2006;73:891-4.
- 최재갑. 구취 환자에 있어서 이산화탄소 레이저를 이용 한 모설의 치료. 대한치과의사학회지 1998;355:818-21.
- Deppe H, Mucke T, Hohlweg-Majert B, Hauck W, Wagenpfeil S, Holzle F. Different CO2 laser vaporization protocols for the therapy of oral precancerous lesions and precancerous conditions: a 10-year follow-up. Lasers Med Sci 2012;27:59-63. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-011-0910-5
- Goldman L. Laser cancer research. springer 1996.
- Thomson PJ, Wylie J. Interventional laser surgery: an effective surgical and diagnostic tool in oral precancer management. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2002;31:145-53. https://doi.org/10.1054/ijom.2001.0189
- de Magalhaes-Junior EB, Aciole GT, Santos NR, dos Santos JN, Pinheiro AL. Removal of oral lichen planus by CO2 laser. Braz Dent J 2011;22:522-6. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0103-64402011000600014
- Pick RM, Pecaro BC, Silberman CJ. The laser gingivectomy. The use of the CO2 laser for the removal of phenytoin hyperplasia. J Periodontol 1985;56:492-6. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19188.8.131.522
- Pogrel MA. The carbon dioxide laser in soft tissue preprosthetic surgery. J Prosthet Dent 1989;61:203-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(89)90374-0
- Esen E, Haytac MC, Oz IA, Erdogan O, Karsli ED. Gingival melanin pigmentation and its treatment with the CO2 laser. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2004;98:522-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2004.02.059
- Puthussery FJ, Shekar K, Gulati A, Downie IP. Use of carbon dioxide laser in lingual frenectomy. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011;49:580-1. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjoms.2010.07.010
- Cercadillo-Ibarguren I, Espana-Tost A, Arnabat- Dominguez J, Valmaseda-Castellon E, Berini-Aytes L, Gay-Escoda C. Histologic evaluation of thermal damage produced on soft tissues by CO2, Er,Cr: YSGG and diode lasers. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2010;15:e912-8.