- Volume 38 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Descending Controls: The Self-Regulation of Chronic Pain
하행성 조절계 : 만성 통증에 대한 제어 작용
- Kim, Min-Jae (Department of Orofacial Pain and Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Kang, Soo-Kyung (Department of Orofacial Pain and Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Chun, Yang-Hyun (Department of Orofacial Pain and Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Hong, Jung-Pyo (Department of Orofacial Pain and Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Auh, Q-Schick (Department of Orofacial Pain and Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Kyung Hee University)
- 김민재 (경희대학교 치의학전문대학원 안면통증구강내과학교실) ;
- 강수경 (경희대학교 치의학전문대학원 안면통증구강내과학교실) ;
- 전양현 (경희대학교 치의학전문대학원 안면통증구강내과학교실) ;
- 홍정표 (경희대학교 치의학전문대학원 안면통증구강내과학교실) ;
- 어규식 (경희대학교 치의학전문대학원 안면통증구강내과학교실)
- Received : 2013.05.26
- Published : 2013.06.30
The descending control system is composed of a group of structures in the midbrain, medulla oblongata and pons that form a network of descending inhibitory projections. In the clinical setting, it has been shown that the application of a electrical counterirritant to these structures and diminishes the pain in patients. Thus, depression and anxiety have been shown to predict the development of chronic neuropathic pain state. These factors could influence pain might also involve descending controls. Interestingly, reduced descending controls are seen in patients with irritable bowel syndrome and theses patients had greater anxiety, depression compared to controls. And, the influence of anxiety on the chronicity of pain and on the descending control pathways should be tested in animal models, using modern techniques. Given this Knowledge, it is no wonder that pain is a highly personal experience that is susceptible to a variety of biologic, pharmacologic, and environmental influences.
- Scholz J, Woolf CJ. Can we conquer pain? Nat Neurosci 2002 suppl 5:1062-1067. https://doi.org/10.1038/nn942
- Yaksh TL. Central pharmacology of nociceptive transmission. In: Wall PD, Melzack R, eds. Textbook of Pain. 4th ed., New York, 1999, Churchill Livingstone, pp. 253-308.
- Sessle BJ. Acute and chronic craniofacial pain: Brainstem mechanism of nociceptive transmission and neuroplasticity, and their clinical correlates. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 2000;11:57-91. https://doi.org/10.1177/10454411000110010401
- Fields HL, Basbaum AI. Central nervous system mechanisms of pain modulation. In: Wall PD, Melzack R eds. Textbook of Pain. 4th ed., New York, 1999, Churchill Livingstone, pp. 309-329.
- Millan MJ. Descending control of pain. Prog Neurobiol 2002 Apr;66(6):355-474.
- Maixner W. Pain Modulatory Systems. In: Sessle BJ, Lavigne GJ, Lund JP, Dubner R, eds. Orofacial pain: from basic science to clinical management. 2nd ed., Chicago2008, Quintessence, pp. 61-68.
- 정성창 외. 구강안면동통과 측두하악장애. 2판, 서울, 2006, 신흥인터내셔날, pp 48-52.
- 성호경 외. 생리학. 4판, 서울, 1989, 의학문화사, pp. 463-464.
- Beecher HK. Pain in men wounded in battle. Bull U S Army Med Dep 1946 Apr;5:445-454.
- Carlen PL, Wall PD, Nadvorna H, Steinbach T. Phantom limbs and related phenomena in recent traumatic amputations. Neurology 1978 Mar;28(3): 211-217. https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.28.3.211
- Maier C, Baron R,Tolle TR, et al. Quantitative sensory testing in the German Research Network on Neuropathic Pain (DFNS): somatosensory abnormalities in 1236 patients with different neuropathic pain syndromes. Pain 2010 Sep;150(3):439-450. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2010.05.002
- Levine JD, Gordon NC, Fields HL. The mechanism of placebo analgesia. Lancet 1978 Sep 23;2(8091): 654-657.
- van Wijk G, Veldhuijzen DS. Perspective on diffuse noxious inhibitory controls as a model of endogenous pain modulation in clinical pain syndromes. J Pain 2010 May;11(5):408-419. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2009.10.009
- Katz J, McDermott MP, Cooper EM, Walther RR, Sweeney EW, Dworkin RH. Psychosocial risk factors for postherpetic neuralgia: a prospective study of patients with herpes zoster. J Pain 2005 Dec;6(12): 782-790. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2005.07.006
- Dickenson AH, Baron R. Descending controls: insurance against pain? Pain. 2011 Dec;152(12):2677- 2678. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2011.07.003
- Heymen S, Maixner W, Whitehead WE, Klatzkin RR, Mechlin B, Light KC. Central processing of noxious somatic stimuli in patients with irritable bowel syndrome compared with healthy controls. Clin J Pain 2010 Feb;26(12):104-109. https://doi.org/10.1097/AJP.0b013e3181bff800
- De Felice M, Sanoja R, Wang R, et al. Engagementof descending inhibition from the rostral ventromedial medulla protects against chronic neuropathic pain. Pain 2011;152(12):2701-2709. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2011.06.008