- Volume 37 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of Compatibilizer Types on the Properties of Linear PPS/PET Blends
상용화제의 종류가 선형 PPS/PET 블렌드의 물성에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Sungki (SK Chemicals R&D Center) ;
- Hong, In-Kwon (Department of Chemical Engineering, Dankook University) ;
- Lee, Sangmook (Department of Chemical Engineering, Dankook University)
- Received : 2013.02.15
- Accepted : 2013.04.17
- Published : 2013.07.25
The effect of compatibilizer types on the properties of polyphenylene sulfide (PPS)/polyethylene terephthalate (PET) blends was investigated. The blends were extruded by a single screw extruder attached with a Maddock mixing zone and their molded properties were examined. As a basic blend composition, a linear PPS/PET (40/60) blend was selected based on cost efficiency. Three types of compatibilizer, SEBS, modified SEBS, and modified PS were added to the basic blend to improve the properties. The thermal, rheological, mechanical properties and the morphology of the ternary blends were analyzed. The maximum mechanical properties of blends was found at 1 phr of m-SEBS or m-PS content, whose values were almost the same as the theoretical values of miscible blend system. It seemed to by the case that the partial reaction between compatibilizer and the basic blend caused the enhancement of compatibility between linear PPS and PET phases. These ternary blends would be applicable as economic linear PPS alloys.
- G. N. Avgeropoulos, F. C. Weissert, P. H. Biddison, and G. A. Boehm, Rubber Chem. Technol., 49, 93 (1976). https://doi.org/10.5254/1.3534954
- G. I. Taylor, Proc. Roy. Sot., A138, 41 (1932).
- G. I. Taylor, Proc. Roy. SW., A146, 501 (1934).
- S. Wu, Polym. Eng. Sci., 27, 335 (1987). https://doi.org/10.1002/pen.760270506
- R. Fayt, R. Jerome, and Ph. Teyssie, J. Polym. Sci., Polym. Phys. Ed., 27, 775 (1989). https://doi.org/10.1002/polb.1989.090270405
- T. Ouhadi, R. Fayt, R. Jerome, and Ph. Teyssie, Polym. Commun., 27, 212 (1986).
- D. F. Aycock and S. P. Ting, U.S. Patent 4,600,741 (1986).
- D. F. Aycock and S. P. Ting, U.S. Patent 4,642,358 (1987).
- C. E. Koning and L. V. D. Vondervoort, in Proceedings of the SPE 50th Annual Technical Conference and Exhibits, 1435 (1992).
- Monsanto Company, European Patent 202,214 (1986).
- M. L. Di Lorenzo, M. Avella, R. Avolio, I. Bonadies, C. Carfagna, M. Cocca, M. E. Errico, and G. Gentile, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 125, 3880 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.36713
- S. Bose, A. R. Bhattacharyya, P. V. Kodgire, A. Misra, and P. Potschke, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 106, 3394 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.27018
- L. A. Utracki, Polymer Alloys and Blends: Thermodynamics and Rheology, Hanser, Munich, 1989.
- I. Fortelny and A. Zivny, Polymer, 36, 4113 (1995). https://doi.org/10.1016/0032-3861(95)90992-B
- L. A. Wood, J. Polym. Sci., 28, 319 (1958). https://doi.org/10.1002/pol.1958.1202811707
- W. Tang, X. Hu, J. Tang, and R. Jin, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 106, 2648 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.26832
- A. A. Collyer, Rubber Toughened Engineering Plastics, Springer, London, 1994.
- K. Cho, J. Yang, S. Yoon, M. Hwang, and S. V. Nair, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 95, 748 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.21252
- R. Hiroi and H. Tanaka, Des. Monomers Polym., 14, 251 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1163/138577211X557530
- SK Chemicals, European Patent 2,383,311 A2 (2011).