- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Aerodynamic Drag Reduction on High-performance EMU Train by Streamlined Shape Modification
유선형 형상 개선을 통한 고성능 EMU 열차의 공기저항 저감 연구
- Kwon, Hyeok-Bin (Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Hong, Jai-Sung (Korea Railroad Research Institute)
- Received : 2012.11.09
- Accepted : 2013.04.27
- Published : 2013.06.30
The effect of modifying the shape of a high-performance EMU train on the aerodynamic drag is studied here using Computational Fluid Dynamics(CFD) based on three dimensional Steady-state Navier-Stokes equation and two equation turbulence modeling. FLUENT 12 and Gambit 2.4.6 are employed for a numerical simulation of the aerodynamic drag of a streamlined-shape train as well as a proto type train. The characteristics of the aerodynamic drag of trains in tunnels are analyzed in a comparison with these characteristics in an open space. The contribution of the aerodynamic drag of each case is also investigated to establish principal pertaining to drag reduction for urban trains in tunnels. The aerodynamic drag of a streamlined train was reduced to 9.8% relative to a proto-type train with a blunt nose and a protruding roof facility and underbody shape: the running resistance is expected to be reduced by as much as 4% at a running speed of 80km/h.
Supported by : 국토해양부
- S.W. Kim, H.B. Kwon, Y.G. Kim, T.W. Park (2006) Calculation of resistance to motion of a high-speed train using acceleration measurements in irregular coasting conditions, Proc. IMechE, 220, pp. 449-459.
- H.B. Kwon, B.B. Kang, B.Y. Kim, D.H. Lee, H.J. Jung (2010) Parametric study on the aerodynamic drag of ultra high-speed train in evacuated tube - part 1, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 13(1), pp. 44-50.
- H.B. Kwon, S.W. Nam, D.H. Kim, Y.J. Jang, B.B. Kang (2010) Parametric study on the aerodynamic drag of ultra high-speed train in evacuated tube - part 2, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 13(1), pp. 51-57.
- Hyundai-Rotem (2011) Test procedure of next generation EMU.
- H.B. Kwon, J.H. Kwak (2007) A study on the improvement of nose shape of KTX-II train using CFD technique, Proceedings of KASA fall Conference (1), Jeju, pp. 156-160.
- H.B. Kwon, S.H. Yun, H.W. Lee (2011) Target and implementation of aerodynamic drag reduction for high-speed train to reach up to 500km/h running speed, Proceeding of KSR fall Conference, Jeju, pp. 1320-1326.
- A STUDY ON THE AERODYNAMIC DRAG REDUCTION OF HIGH-SPEED TRAIN USING BOGIE SIDE FAIRING vol.19, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.6112/kscfe.2014.19.1.041
- A Study on the Contribution of Exterior Devices to Running Resistance in High-Speed Trains vol.18, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2015.18.4.309
- Assessment of the Running Resistance of a High-speed Train Using a Coasting Test vol.17, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2014.17.3.165