- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Implementation of an All-IP Train Communication Network Using Plastic Optical Fiber
플라스틱 광섬유를 이용한 All-IP 열차통신네트워크 구현에 관한 연구
- Kim, Dongha (Department of Railroad Electrical/Signaling Engineering, Graduate School of Railway, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Lee, Soyoung (Sihyun Korea Co.) ;
- Choi, Kyuhyong (Department of Railroad Electrical/Signaling Engineering, Graduate School of Railway, Seoul National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2013.01.03
- Accepted : 2013.05.01
- Published : 2013.06.30
Recent trains have broadband train communication networks to improve train operation safety and to provide passengers with multimedia services. Compared to glass optical fiber, plastic optical fiber (POF) has a large diameter; it also provides the good durability and maintainability necessary to railway applications. This paper suggests an All-IP broadband train communication network that connects all devices in the train through a POF interface. Performance tests according to Korean railroad standards shows that this POF interface is usable in the range of vibration and temperature conditions encountered in trains. A dedicated Layer-2 switch with the POF interface is developed for the construction of the All-IP train communication network. A prototype 1Gbps train communication network was set up in a trial-run of train on a metro line using the developed Layer-2 switch and POF. On-track tests indicated the feasibility of the POF train communication network. POF has an additional advantage of economic feasibility, and it is expected to start a trend toward broadband train communication networks using POF.
Supported by : 서울과학기술대학교
- H.C. Shin (2010) A Study for application of train information collection device using RTD system, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 13(6), pp. 541-545.
- Y.J. Choi, M.H. Seo, J.H. Park (2007) Mastership passing algorithm for train communication network protocol, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 10(1), pp. 88-95.
- S.C. Yun, J.H. Park, S.C. Kim, S.J. Eum (2010) The analysis on the effects of the failure reduction strategies of the railway facilities, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 13(6), pp. 608-616.
- Y.S. Jeon, H.S. Lee, J.B. Wang (2011) A study on the train composition requirements for safety operation of urban-transit, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 14(1), pp. 66-72. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2011.14.1.66
- D.K. Sin (2011) A study on the reliability/safety assessment and improvement of USN gateway for train control, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 14(5), pp. 416-424. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2011.14.5.416
- D.J. Chang, S.H. Kang, D.H. Song (2009) Survey on the adoptability of IT and smart sensor technologies into the next-generation high-speed train, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 12(5), pp. 649-655.
- C.W Park (2010) Gradient-index plastic optical fiber for alloptical gigabit internet infrastructure in home/office network, Proceedings of POF Symposium (OFC 2010), San Diego, California.
- B.W. Park, D.Y. Yoon, D.S. Kim (2009) Optical communication and sensing modules for plastic optical fibers, The Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, 47(5), pp. 558-564.
- G. Duggan, D.A. Barrow, T. Calvert, et al. (2008) Red vertical cavity surface emitting lasers(VCSELs) for consumer applications, Proceedings of Vertical-Cavity Surface-Emitting Lasers XII, San Jose, California.
- T. Koonen, H. van den Boom, I.T. Monroy, G.D. Khoe (2001). Broadband data communication techniques in POF-based networks, Proceedings of the 27th European Conference of Optical Communication (ECOC 2001), Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- O. Ziemann, J. Krauser, P.E. Zamzow, W. Daum (2008) POF Handbook: Optical Short Range Transmission Systems, Springer-Verlag, Berlin and Heidelberg.
- H. Poisel, D. Kalymnios, P. Scully (2007) POF sensors applications in every days life, Proceedings of the 33rd European Conference of Optical Communication (ECOC 2007), Berlin.
- D. Visani, C.M. Okonkwo, S. Loquai, et al. (2010) Record 5.3 Gbit/s transmission over 50m 1mm core diameter graded-index plastic optical fiber, Proceedings of National Fiber Optic Engineers Conference(NFOEC), San Diego, California.
- H.B. Kwon, S.W. Nam, T.H. Ko, et al. (2010) Field measurements to predict the wind gust under train at the speed-up of conventional railway lines, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 13(3), pp. 376-381.
- Y. Koike, M. Asai (2009) The future of plastic optical fiber, NPG Asia Materials, 1(1), pp. 22-28. https://doi.org/10.1038/asiamat.2009.2
- P. Polishuk (2009) Potential applications of plastic optical fibers(POF) for commercial & military aircraft, ARINC Fiber Optics Subcommitee May 2009 Meeting.
- R. Gaudino, A. Nocivelli, H. Kragl, O. Ziemann (2007) Latest results from the POF - all EU project: toward improved capacity over large-core plastic optical fibers, Proceedings of Broadband Europe Conference, Antwerp, Belgium.
- Implementation of Mobile Hot-spot Network for Subway Wireless Backhaul Network vol.18, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2015.18.3.223
- Development of Communication Joint Tools for Implementing a Legacy-line Communication System in a Train vol.19, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.6109/jkiice.2015.19.4.877