- Volume 14 Issue 1
The purpose of this study was to investigate Korean college students' housing values and housing expectations as well as considerations for housing in their 20s and to explore influences on housing values and expectations. Items related to four housing functions were developed in conjunction with Maslow's hierarchy of human needs to measure housing values. An on-site questionnaire survey was administered to students of a university-A located in Chungbuk province between May 28, 2012, and June 17, 2012. Among the total 476 responses, 465 responses from Korean students were used for further data analyses. The findings are as follows: (1) Among housing functions, those related to shelter functions were perceived as most important followed by function as a place for self-esteem. (2) More than 70 percent of the respondents expected to rent a housing unit in their 20s and more than half of the respondents expected non-traditional and relatively affordable compact size structure types such as studio, Officetel or Gosiwon. (3) Price, location and transportation were found to be the most important considerations when choosing housing in their 20s. (4) Convenience in use of public transportation and commute time were found to be the most important in location choice, and maintenance conditions and security systems were the most important for building choice. (5) Female respondents tended to consider personal safety, security systems, neighborhood facilities, and distance from family more important than male respondents when choosing housing, while male respondents considered parking space more important than females.
Housing Values;Housing Expectation;Housing Considerations;College Students
- An, O., Jo, O., & Hao, J. (2009). A comparative study on the housing viewpoint between Korean and Chinese university students. Journal of Korean Housing Association, 20(4), 121-129.
- An, O., Kang, H., & Jo, Y. (2009). Comparison on the time series of housing viewpoint of university student. Journal of Korean Housing Association, 20(4), 113-120.
- Bae, K. (2012. 2. 1.). The reason office workers find housing units in campus towns. Asia Economy. http://view.asiae.co.kr/news/view.htm?idxno=2012013 114335082994&nvr=Y
- Bang, S., & Hong, H. (2012). University students' housing value orientation and preferences about urban-life housing, Proceeding of Spring Annual Conference of KHA, 2012, 379-384.
- Beamish, J. O., Goss, R. C., & Emmel, J. (2001). Lifestyle influences on housing preferences. Housing and Society, 28(1&2), 1-28. https://doi.org/10.1080/08882746.2001.11430459
- Beamish, J. O., Goss, R. C., & Emmel, J. (2006). Influences on housing choice and behaviors. In J. L. Merrill, S. R. Crull, K. R. Tremblay, Jr., L. L. Tyler, & A. T. Carswell (Eds.), Introduction to housing (pp. 25-53). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Downer, D. B., Smith, R. H., & Lynch, M. T. (1968, March). Values and housing-A new dimension. Journal of Home Economics, 60, 173-176.
- Jung, M. R., & An, O. H. (2001). A comparative study on the view of housing between Korean and Japanese female university students. Journal of Korean Housing Association, 12(4), 162-171.
- Kahle, L. R., & Kennedy, P. (1989). Using the list of values (LOV) to understand consumers. The Journal of Consumer Marketing, 6(3), 5-12.
- Kim, J., & Kwark, K. (2007). A study on the life style and housing satisfaction, future-housing environment preferences among the college students. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 16(3), 651-664. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2007.16.3.651
- Kim, M., & Noh, S. (2008). Housing values and satisfaction among university students in Gwangju and the Chonnam area. Journal of Korean Housing Association, 19(4), 11-20.
- Lee, E. J., & Cho, S. H. (2006). A study on the meaning of home of the university student. Proceeding of Autumn Annual Conference of KHA, 2006, 416-419.
- Lee, H. (2012). Housing cost burden of single-or twoperson households in their 20s and 30s in the United States. Journal of Korean Housing Association, 23(2), 69-77.
- Lim, H. (2005). The life style and dwelling preferences of the university students. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 14(6), 1047-1058
- Lindamood, S., & Hanna, S. D. (1979). Housing, society, and consumers: An introduction. St. Paul, MN: West Publishing Company.
- Maslow, A. H. (1954). Motivation and personality. New York: Harper.
- Morris, E. W. & Winter, M. (1978). Housing, family and society. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Woo, B., Park, A., Lee, K. H., & Lee, H. (2012). Comparison of housing values and housing consideration of Korean and Chinese college students. Journal of the Korean Society of Plant and Environmental Design, 8(1), 33-39.
- Yoon, B., Choi, H., & Cho, M. E. (1998). A study of housing interior design through housing expectations and housing preferences of future consumers college students. Journal of Korean Housing Association, 9(3), 133-144.
- Yoon, J. W., & Shin, H. J. (1997). A study the housing value of the university student in Taegu. Journal of Korean Housing Association, 8(3), 131-139.
- Household and Housing Characteristics of Young Renters in South Korea in Relation to Housing Value Clusters vol.26, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.6107/JKHA.2015.26.6.043
Supported by : Chungbuk National University