- Volume 48 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Non-isothermal TGA Study on Thermal Degradation Kinetics of ACM Rubber Composites
비등온 TGA를 이용한 ACM 고무복합재료의 열분해 거동 연구
- Ahn, WonSool (Department of Chemical Engineering, Keimyung University) ;
- Lee, Hyung Seok (R&D Center, HanKook Sealtech, Inc.)
- Received : 2013.04.23
- Accepted : 2013.05.15
- Published : 2013.06.30
Thermal degradation behavior of chlorine cure-site ACM and carboxylic cure-site ACM rubbers was studied by non-isothermal TGA thermal analysis. Carboxylic cure-site ACM rubber exhibited comparatively more thermally stable than chlorine cure-site ACM, showing higher peak temperature, at which maximum reaction rate occurred. Activation energies from Kissinger method were calculated as 118.6 kJ/mol for the chlorine cure-site ACM and 105.5 kJ/mol for the carboxylic cure-site ACM, showing similar values from Flynn-Wall-Ozawa analysis over the conversion range of 0.1~0.2. From the analysis of the reaction order change, both samples seemed thermally decomposed through the multiple reaction mechanism as is the common rubber materials.
- R. C. Klingender, ed. "Handbook of Specialty Polymers", Ch. 5., CRC Press, N.Y., 2008.
- I. S. Huh, "Engine Gasket Materials and Property Evaluation" , Rubber Technol., 1, 78 (2000).
- H. S. Lee, J. H. Do, W. Ahn, and C. Kim, "A Study on Physical Properties and Life Time Prediction on ACM Rubber for Automotive Engine Gasket", Elast. Compos. 47(3), 254 (2012). https://doi.org/10.7473/EC.2012.47.3.254
- J. S. Dick, ed. "Rubber Technology, Compounding and Testing for Performance", Ch. 8, Carl Hanser Verlag, Munich, 2010.
- W. D. Kim, W. S. Kim, C. S. Woo, and S. J. Cho, "Prediction of Useful Life by Heat Ageing of Motor Fan Isolating Rubber", Elastomer, 37, 107 (2002).
- TOA Acron, AR-501, 501L, AR540, AR540L Heat and Oil Resistance Polyacrylate Elastomer Bulletin.
- D. J. Toop, "Theory of Life Testing and Use of Thermogravimetric Analysis to Predict the Thermal Life of Wire Enamels", IEEE Trans. Elec. Insul., E1-6, 2 (1971).
- J. Wise, K. T. Gillen and R. L. Clough, "An ultra sensitive technique for testing the Arrhenius extrapolation assumption for thermally aged elastomers", Polym. Degard. Stab., 49, 403 (1995). https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-3910(95)00137-B
- L. W. McKeen. "The Effect of Temperature and Other Factors on Plastics and Elastomers", 2nd ed., Ch. 7, William Andrew Inc., N.Y., 2008.
- W. S. Ahn and K. H. Park. "A Study on Thermal Life-Time Expectation of NR Rubber Material using Isothermal TGA and TMA", Elast. Compos. 44(3), 269 (2009).
- H. E. Kissinger, "Reaction Kinetics in Differential Thermal Analysis", Anal. Chem. 29, 1702 (1957). https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60131a045
- J. H. Flynn and L. A. Wall, "A Quick, Direct Method for the Determination of Activation Energy from Thermogravimetric Data", J. Polym. Sci., Part B: Polym. Lett., 4, 323 (1966). https://doi.org/10.1002/pol.1966.110040504
- R. M. B. Moreno, E. S. de Medeiros, F. C. Ferreira, N. Alves, P. S. Goncalves, and L. H. C. Mattoso1, "Thermogravimetric studies of decomposition kinetics of six different IAC Hevea rubber clones using Flynn-Wall-Ozawa approach", Plastics, Rubber and Composites, 35(1), 15 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1179/174328906X79932
- J. I. Cunneen "Degradation of natural rubber during manufacture, storage and service", Proc. NR technology seminar, 4-5 December, 199 (1978).
- R. L. Feller, "Accelerated Aging: Photochemical and Thermal Aspects", Marina del Rey, CA, Getty Conservation Institute, (1994).