- Volume 48 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Computer Simulation of Izod Impact Test for Impact Modifier Reinforced Nylon6
충격보강제가 포함된 나일론 6에서 Izod 충격시험의 컴퓨터 모사
- Park, Yohan (Graduate School of Industry, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Lyu, Min-Young (Department of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul National of Univ. of Science and Technology) ;
- Paul, D.R. (Department of Chemical Engineering and Texas Materials Institure, The University of Texas at Austin)
- Received : 2013.04.30
- Accepted : 2013.05.07
- Published : 2013.06.30
Impact modifier reinforced polymers are frequently used. In this study, Izod impact test has been simulated to analyze the mechanism of impact reinforcement of Nylon6 which contains impact modifier. The modeling of rubber particles added to Nylon6 as an impact modifier has been attempted. Based on the modeling, simulation of Izod impact test has been performed to observe the distribution and direction of stress at the cross-section of impact specimen. Three computer simulation models for Nylon6 were investigated. Those were without impact modifier, containing impact modifier without surface treatment, and containing impact modifier with surface treatment in the Nylon6. Simulation results showed that the stress which originated at the notch surface propergated to the inside of specimen round a impact modifier. In addition to that, impact modifier reinforced Nylon6 specimen showed low stress ditribution in the cross-section specially at notch surface. Principal stress in perpendicular direction to crack was also lowered in impact modifier reinforced Nylon6. These enhanced impact resistance reduced and crack propergations. Through this study it was realized that the computer simulation can be utilized to investigate the property enhacement of composite materials.
Supported by : 서울과학기술대학교
- C. B. Bucknall, D. R. Paul, "Notched impact behavior of polymer blends: Part 1: New model for particle size dependence" , 50, 5539 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2009.09.059
- J. J. Huang, H. Keskkula, D. R. Paul, "Comparison of the toughening behavior of nylon 6 versus an amorphous polyamide using various maleated elastomers", 47, 639 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2005.11.088
- R. A. Kudva, H. Keskkula and D. R. Paul, "Fracture behavior of nylon 6/ABS blends compatibilized with an imidized acrylic polymer", Polymer, 41, 335 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-3861(99)00244-X
- Meredith N. Silberstein, "Mechanics of Notched Izod Impact Testing of Polycarbonate", Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2005).
- N. J. Mills, "The mechanism of brittle fracture in notched impact tests on polycarbonate", J. Mater. Sci., 11, 363 (1976). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00551448
- Rudy A. C. Deblieck, D. J. M van Beek, Klaas Remerie and Ian M. Ward, "Failure mechanisms in polyolefines: The role of crazing, shear yielding and the entanglement network" , Polymer, 52, 2979 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2011.03.055
- "Standard Test Methods for Determining the Izod Pendulum Impact Resistance of Plastics" . ASTM International.
- A. J. Oshinski, H. Keskkula and D. R. Paul, "The role of matrix molecular weight in rubber toughened nylon 6 blends: 2. Room temperature Izod impact toughness", Polymer, 37, 4909 (1996). https://doi.org/10.1016/0032-3861(96)00374-6
- Marc Andre Meyers and Krishan Kumar Chawla, "Mechanical Behavior of Materials", Cambridge University Press, New York (2008).