- Volume 13 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Isolated Boost Converter with Bidirectional Operation for Supercapacitor Applications
- Hernandez, Juan C. (Technical University of Denmark) ;
- Mira, Maria C. (Technical University of Denmark) ;
- Sen, Gokhan (Technical University of Denmark) ;
- Thomsen, Ole C. (Technical University of Denmark) ;
- Andersen, Michael A.E. (Technical University of Denmark)
- Received : 2013.01.24
- Published : 2013.07.20
This paper presents an isolated bidirectional dc/dc converter based on primary parallel isolated boost converter (PPIBC). This topology is an efficient solution in low voltage high power applications due to its ability to handle high currents in the low voltage side. In this paper, the converter has been modeled using non-ideal components and operated without any additional circuitry for startup using a digital soft-start procedure. Simulated and measured loop gains have been compared for the validity of the model. On-the-fly current direction change has been achieved with a prototype interconnecting two battery banks. A second prototype has been constructed and tested for supercapacitor operation in constant power charge mode.
- Odile Bertoldi and Sebastien Berger, "Report on Energy," Observatory Nano-European Commission, 2009.
- T. Mishima, E. Hiraki, T. Tanaka, and M. Nakaoka, "A new soft-switched bidirectional dc-dc converter topology for automotive high voltage dc us architectures," in Conf. Rec. of IEEE VPPC, pp. 1 - 6. Sep. 2006.
- H.-J. Chiu and L.-W. Lin, "A bidirectional dc-dc converter for fuel cell electric vehicle driving system," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 950-958, Jul. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.876863
- Z. Zhang, O. C. Thomsen, and M. A. E. Andersen, "Optimal design of push-pull-forward half-bridge (PPFHB) bidirectional dc-dc converter with variable input voltage," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol.59, No.7, pp.2761-2771, Jul. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2134051
- Z. Zhang, Z. Ouyang, O. C. Thomsen, and M. A. E. Andersen, "Analysis and design of a bidirectional isolated dc-dc converter for fuel cells and super-capacitors hybrid system," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol.27, No.2, pp. 848-859, Feb. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2159515
- Z. Ouyang, Z. Zhang, O. C. Thomsen, and M. A. E. Andersen, "Planar integrated magnetics (PIM) module in hybrid bidirectional DC/DC converter for fuel cell application," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 11, pp.3254-3264, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2129598
- F. Mihalic, Alenka Hren, "Safe start-up procedures of isolated bi-directional dc-dc converter," EPE-PEMC 2010, pp. 167-173, 2010.
- M. Nymand and M. A. E. Andersen, "New primary-parallel boost converter for high-power high-gain applications," in Proc. IEEE APEC 2009, pp. 35-39, 2009.
- M. Nymand and M. A. E. Andersen, "A new approach to high efficiency in isolated boost converters for high-power low-voltage fuel cell applications," Proc. EPE-PEMC, 2008.
- Gokhan Sen , S. M. Dehghan, Ole C. Thomsen, and Michael A. E. Andersen, "Comparison of current balancing configurations for primary parallel isolated boost converter," Acemp - Electromotion , 2011.
- Maria C. Mira A., Juan C. Hernandez B., Gokhan Sen, Ole C. Thomsen, and Michael A.E. Andersen, "Modeling and control of primary parallel isolated boost converter," IECON, 2012.
- Olivier Tremblay, Louis-A. Dessaint, and Abdel-Illah Dekkiche, "A generic battery model for the dynamic simulation of hybrid electric vehicles," VPPC 2007, pp 284-289, 2007.
- Design of a Nonisolated Fuel Cell Boost Charger for Lithium Polymer Batteries With a Low Output Ripple vol.30, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2014.2363088
- Novel bifunctional converter-based supercapacitor energy storage module with active voltage equalizing technology vol.12, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/tee.22382
- Interleaved Boost Converter for Photovoltaic Energy Generation vol.622, pp.1662-7482, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.622.97