- Volume 13 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Traction Motor-Inverter Utilized Battery Charger for PHEVs
- Woo, Dong-Gyun (College of Information & Communication Eng., Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Kim, Yun-Sung (College of Information & Communication Eng., Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Kang, Gu-Bae (Research & Development Division, Hyundai Motor Company) ;
- Lee, Byoung-Kuk (College of Information & Communication Eng., Sungkyunkwan University)
- Received : 2013.01.28
- Published : 2013.07.20
Most eco-friendly cars can adopt the concept of an integrated battery charger (IBC), which uses currently available motor drive systems. The IBC has a lot of strong points such as low cost and minimum space for the high voltage battery charger. On the other hand, it also has some defects caused by its structure. In this paper, the shortcomings of the conventional IBC for PHEVs with interior permanent magnet motors are discussed, and two advanced IBCs with improved performance are presented. Compared with the conventional IBC, the two advanced IBCs have plenty of strengths such as low common noise, high efficiency, simple sensing methods, etc. Then, the digital control algorithm is modified and a power loss calculation is carried out with simulation software. Finally, experimental results are provided to show the performance of the IBC systems.
Supported by : Ministry of Knowledge Economy (MKE) of Korea
- S. K. Sul and S. J. Lee, "An integral battery charger for four wheel drive electric vehicle," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl. Vol. 31, No. 5, pp. 1096-1099, Sep./Oct. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.464524
- L. Solero, "Nonconventional on-board charger for electric vehicle propulsion batteries," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol. Vol. 50, No. 1, pp. 144-149, Jan. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/25.917904
- L. Tang and G.-J. Su, "A low-cost, digitally-controlled charger for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles," Proceedings of the 2009 ECCE, pp. 3923-3929, Sep. 2009.
- G. Pellegrino, E. Armando, and P. Guglielmi, "An integral battery charger with power factor correction for electric scooter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 751-759, Mar. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2033187
- L. Tang and G.-J. Su, "Control Scheme optimization for a low-cost, digitally-controlled charger for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles," Proceedings of the 2010 ECCE, pp. 3604-3610, Sept. 2010.
- H. Ye, Z. Yang, J. Dai, C. Yan, X. Xin, and J. Ying, "Common mode noise modeling and analysis of dual boost PFC circuit," Proceedings of the 2004 INTELEC, pp. 575-582, Sept. 2004.
- B. Lu, R. Brown, and M. Soldano, "Bridgeless PFC implementation using one cycle control technique," Proceedings of the 2005 APEC, pp. 812-817, Mar. 2005.
- P. Kong, S. Wang, and F.C. Lee, "Common mode EMI noise suppression for bridgeless PFC converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 291-297, Jan. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.911877
- L. Huber, Y. T. Jang, and M. M. Jovanovic, "Performance evaluation of bridgeless PFC boost rectifiers," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 1381-1390, May 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.921107
- Application Guide, "Power factor correction inductor design for switch mode power supplies using METGLAS powerlite C-cores," Matglas, Inc., Available: www.metglas.com/downloads/apps/pfc.pdf