- Volume 13 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Analysis and Design of a Three-port Flyback Inverter using an Active Power Decoupling Method to Minimize Input Capacitance
- Kim, Jun-Gu (College of Information and Communication Eng., Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Kim, Kyu-Dong (Samsung Electro-Mechanics Co. Ltd.) ;
- Noh, Yong-Su (College of Information and Communication Eng., Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Jung, Yong-Chae (Dept. of Electrical and Electronics Eng., Namseoul University) ;
- Won, Chung-Yuen (College of Information and Communication Eng., Sungkyunkwan University)
- Received : 2013.01.29
- Published : 2013.07.20
In this paper, a new decoupling technique for a flyback inverter using an active power decoupling circuit with auxiliary winding and a novel switching pattern is proposed. The conventional passive power decoupling method is applied to control Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) efficiently by attenuating double frequency power pulsation on the photovoltaic (PV) side. In this case, decoupling capacitor for a flyback inverter is essentially required large electrolytic capacitor of milli-farads. However using the electrolytic capacitor have problems of bulky size and short life-span. Because this electrolytic capacitor is strongly concerned with the life-span of an AC module system, an active power decoupling circuit to minimize input capacitance is needed. In the proposed topology, auxiliary winding defined as a Ripple port will partially cover difference between a PV power and an AC Power. Since input capacitor and auxiliary capacitor is reduced by Ripple port, it can be replaced by a film capacitor. To perform the operation of charging/discharging decoupling capacitor
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP), National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- S. B. Kjaer, J. K. Pedersen, and F. Blaabjerg, "A review of single-phase grid-connected inverters for photovoltaic modules," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 41, No. 5, pp. 1292-1306, Sep. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2005.853371
- Y. Xue, L. Chang, S. B. Kjaer, J. Bordonau, and T. Shimizu, "Topologies of single-phase inverters for small distributed power generators: an overview," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 1305-1314, Sep. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2004.833460
- Q. Li and P. Wolfs, "A review of the single phase photovoltaic module integrated converter topologies with three different DC link configurations," IEEE Trans. Power Electon., Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 1320-1333, May 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.920883
- S. B. Kjaer, "Design and control of an inverter for photovoltaic applications," Ph.D. dissertation, inst. Energy Technol., Aalborg University, Aalborg East, Denmark, 2004/2005.
- H. Hu, S. Harb, N. KutKut, I. Batarseh, and Z. J. Shen, "Power decoupling techniques for micro-inverters in PV systems-a review," IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition, pp. 3235-3240, Sep. 2010.
- P. T. Krein and R. S. Balog, "Method for minimizing double-frequency ripple power in single-phase power conditioners," U.S. Patent Application No. 11/871,015, filed Oct 11, 2007.
- G. H. Tan, J. Z. Wang, and Y. C. Ji, "Soft-switching flyback inverter with enhanced power decoupling for photovoltaic applications," IET Trans. Electron. Power Appl., Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 264-274, Mar. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa:20060236
- A. C. Kyritsis, N. P. Papanikolaou, and E. C. Tatakis, "A novel parallel active filter for current pulsation smoothing on single stage grid-connected AC-PV modules," in Proc. European Conf. Power Electronics and Applications (EPE), pp. 1-10, Sep. 2007.
- T. Shimizu, K. Wada, and N. Nakamura, "Flyback-type single-phase utility interactive inverter with power pulsation decoupling on the DC input for an AC photovoltaic module system," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 21, No. 5, pp.1264-1272, Sep. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.880247
- T. Shimizu, K. Wada, and N. Nakamura, "A flyback-type single phase utility interactive inverter with low-frequency ripple current reduction on the DC input for an AC photovoltaic module system," in Proc. IEEE 33rd Annu. Power Electron. Spec. Conf. (PESC), Vol. 3, pp. 1483-1488, 2002.
- T. Hirao, T. Shimizu, M. Ishikawa, and K. Yasui, "A modified modulration control of a single-phase inverter with enhanced power decoupling for a photovoltaic AC module," in Proc. Eur. Conf. Power Electron. Appl., 2005.
- F. Shinjo, K. Wada, and T. Shimizu, "A single-phase grid-connected inverter with a power decoupling function," in Proc. Power Electron. Spec. Conf. (PESC), pp. 1245-1249, Jun. 2007.
- T. Shimizu and S. Suzuki, "Control of a high-efficiency PV inverter with power decoupling function," in Proc. IEEE 8th Inter. Conf. Power Elec. and ECCE Asia (ICPE & ECCE), No. 1533-1539, 2011.
- S. B. Kajer and F. Blaabjerg, "Design optimization of single phase inverter for photovoltaic applications," in Proc. IEEE PESC '03 Conf., Vol. 3, pp. 1183-1190, Jun. 2003.
- D. Li, Z. Zhang, B. Xu, M. Chen, and Z. Qian, "A method of power decoupling for long life micro-inverter," in Proc. 37th Annu. Conf. on IEEE Indus. Elec. Soc. (IECON 2011), pp. 802-807, Nov. 2011.
- P. T. Krein and R. S. Balog, "Cost-effective hundred-year life for single-phase inverters and rectifiers in solar and LED lighting application based on minimum capacitance requirements and a ripple power port," in Proc. IEEE Applied Power Elec. Conf., pp. 620-625, Feb. 2009.
- H. Al-Atrash, F. Tian, and I. Batarseh, "Tri-modal half-bridge converter topology for three-port interface," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 341-345, Jan. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.889583
- H. Hu, Q. Zhang, X. Fang, Z. J. Shen, and I. Batarseh, "A single stage micro-inverter based on a three-port flyback with power decoupling capability," in Proc. Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), pp. 1411-1416, Sep. 2011.
- S. Harb, N. KutKut, I. Batarseh, and Z. J. Shen, "A three-port photovoltaic (PV) micro-inverter with power decoupling capability," Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), pp. 203-208, 2011.
- Y. M. Chen and C. Y. Liao, "Three-port flyback-type single-phase micro-inverter with active power decoupling circuit," in Proc. Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), pp. 501-506, Sep. 2011.
- A. C. Kyritsis, E. C. Tatakis, N. P. Papanikolaou, "Optimum design of the current-source flyback inverter for decentralized grid-connected photovoltaic systems," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 281-293, Mar. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2007.895854
- Single-Phase Active Power Filtering Method Using Diode-Rectifier-Fed Motor Drive vol.51, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2014.2365629
- A Single-Stage Stand-Alone Photovoltaic Energy System With High Tracking Efficiency vol.8, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2016.2616443
- Direct Power Control of a Three-Phase Inverter for Grid Input Current Shaping of a Single-Phase Diode Rectifier With a Small DC-Link Capacitor vol.30, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2345421
- Decoupling capacitor minimization in HF-link single-phase cycloconverter based microinverter vol.105, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2014.04.013
- Fault diagnosis and fault-tolerant control of photovoltaic micro-inverter vol.23, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11771-016-3286-7