- Volume 13 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
On Thermal and State-of-Charge Balancing using Cascaded Multi-level Converters
- Altaf, Faisal (Dept. of Signal and Systems, Chalmers University of Technology) ;
- Johannesson, Lars (Dept. of Signal and Systems, Chalmers University of Technology) ;
- Egardt, Bo (Dept. of Signal and Systems, Chalmers University of Technology)
- Received : 2013.01.28
- Published : 2013.07.20
In this study, the simultaneous use of a multi-level converter (MLC) as a DC-motor drive and as an active battery cell balancer is investigated. MLCs allow each battery cell in a battery pack to be independently switched on and off, thereby enabling the potential non-uniform use of battery cells. By exploiting this property and the brake regeneration phases in the drive cycle, MLCs can balance both the state of charge (SoC) and temperature differences between cells, which are two known causes of battery wear, even without reciprocating the coolant flow inside the pack. The optimal control policy (OP) that considers both battery pack temperature and SoC dynamics is studied in detail based on the assumption that information on the state of each cell, the schedule of reciprocating air flow and the future driving profile are perfectly known. Results show that OP provides significant reductions in temperature and in SoC deviations compared with the uniform use of all cells even with uni-directional coolant flow. Thus, reciprocating coolant flow is a redundant function for a MLC-based cell balancer. A specific contribution of this paper is the derivation of a state-space electro-thermal model of a battery submodule for both uni-directional and reciprocating coolant flows under the switching action of MLC, resulting in OP being derived by the solution of a convex optimization problem.
- B. I. Bloom, J. S. Cole, S. Jones, E. Polzin, V. Battaglia, G. Henriksen, C. Motloch, R. Richardson, T. Unkelhaeuser, D. Ingersoll, and H. Case, "An accelerated calendar and cycle life study of li-ion cells," Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 101, No. 2, p. 238-247, Oct. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7753(01)00783-2
- B. Kuhn, G. Pitel, and P. Krein, "Electrical properties and equalization of lithium-ion cells in automotive applications," in Vehicle Power and Propulsion, 2005 IEEE Conference, p. 5, Sep. 2005.
- S. Lukic, J. Cao, R. Bansal, F. Rodriguez, and A. Emadi, "Energy storage systems for automotive applications," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 6, pp. 2258-2267, Jun. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.918390
- K. Smith, T. Markel, K. Gi-Heon, and A. Pesaran, "Design of electric drive vehicle batteries for long life and low cost," Accelerated Stress Testing and Reliability (ASTR), IEE Workshop on, Oct. 6-8 2010.
- T. Reddy, Linden's Handbook of Batteries, 4th Edition, 4th ed. McGraw-Hill Professional, 10 2010.
- W. C. Lee, D. Drury, and P. Mellor, "Comparison of passive cell balancing and active cell balancing for automotive batteries," in Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), 2011 IEEE, pp. 1-7, Sep. 2011.
- J. Cao, N. Schofield, and A. Emadi, "Battery balancing methods: A comprehensive review," in Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference, 2008. VPPC '08. IEEE, pp. 1-6, Sep. 2008.
- W. Bentley, "Cell balancing considerations for lithium-ion battery sys-tems," in Battery Conference on Applications and Advances, 1997., 12th Annual, pp. 223-226, Jan. 1997.
- P. Krein, "Battery management for maximum performance in plug-in electric and hybrid vehicles," in Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference, 2007. VPPC 2007. IEEE, pp. 2-5, Sep. 2007.
- C. Park and A. Jaura, "Reciprocating battery cooling for hybrid and fuel cell vehicles," ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE2003), Washington, DC, USA, pp. 425-430, Nov. 2003.
- C. Park and A. Jaura, "Dynamic thermal model of Li-Ion battery for predictive behavior in hybrid and fuel cell vehicles," SAE transactions, Vol. 112, No. 3, pp. 1835-1842, 2003.
- C. Park and A. Jaura, "Transient heat transfer of 42 V Ni-MH batteries for an HEV application," Future Car Congress, 2002.
- A. Pesaran and B. S. Vlahinos, A, "Thermal performance of EV and HEV battery modules and packs," Proceedings of the 14th International Electric Vehicle Symposium, Orlando, Florida, Dec. 1997.
- R. Mahamud and C. Park, "Reciprocating air flow for li-ion battery thermal management to improve temperature uniformity," Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 196, No. 13, pp. 5685 - 5696, Jul. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2011.02.076
- C. Motloch, J. Christophersen, J. Belt, R. Wright, G. Hunt, T. Tartamella, H. Haskins, and T. Miller, "High-power battery testing procedures and analytical methodologies for HEV's," SAE 2002-01-1950, 2002.
- J. Rodriguez, L. Franquelo, S. Kouro, J. Leon, R. Portillo, M. Prats, and M. Perez, "Multilevel converters: An enabling technology for high-power applications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 97, No. 11, pp. 1786 -1817, Nov. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2009.2030235
- M. Malinowski, K. Gopakumar, J. Rodriguez, and M. Pe andrez, "A survey on cascaded multilevel inverters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 7, pp. 2197-2206, Jul. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2030767
- L. Tolbert, F. Z. Peng, and T. Habetler, "Multilevel con verters for large electric drives," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 35, No. 1, pp. 36-44, Jan./Feb. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.740843
- O. Josefsson, A. Lindskog, S. Lundmark, and T. Thiringer, "Assessment of a multilevel converter for a PHEV charge and traction application," in Electrical Machines (ICEM), 2010 XIX International Conference on, pp. 1-6, Sep. 2010.
- F. Altaf, L. Johannesson, and B. Egardt, "Evaluating the potential for cell balancing using a cascaded multi-level converter using convex optimization," in IFAC Workshop on Engine and Powertrain Control, Simulation and Modeling, 2012, Oct. 2012.
- F. Altaf, L. Johannesson, and B. Egardt, "Performance evaluation of multilevel converter based cell balancer with reciprocating air flow," in Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), 2012 IEEE, pp. 706-713, Oct. 2012.
- J. Rawlings, "Tutorial overview of model predictive control," IEEE Contr. Syst., Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 38-52, Jun. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/37.845037
- N. Mohan, T. M. Undeland, and W. P. Robbins, Power Electronics: Converters, Applications, and Design, 3rd ed. John Wiley & Sons, 2003.
- F. Codeca, S. Savaresi, and G. Rizzoni, "On battery state of charge estimation: A new mixed algorithm," in Control Applications, 2008. CCA 2008. IEEE International Conference on, pp. 102-107, Sep. 2008.
- M. Chen and G. Rincon-Mora, "Accurate electrical battery model capable of predicting runtime and i-v performance," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 504-511, Jun. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2006.874229
- H. He, R. Xiong, X. Zhang, F. Sun, and J. Fan, "State-of-charge estimation of the lithium-ion battery using an adaptive extended kalman filter based on an improved thevenin model," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 60, No. 4, pp. 1461-1469, may 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2011.2132812
- H. Khalil, Nonlinear systems. Prentice Hall, NJ, 2002.
- J. Kassakian, M. Schlecht, and G. Verghese, Principles of Power Electronics. Addison-Wesley, 1991.
- S. Sirisukprasert, "The modeling and control of a cascaded-multilevel converter-based STATCOM," PhD Thesis, Virginia Tech, 2004.
- L. Guzzella and A. Sciarretta, Vehicle Propulsion Systems. Springer, 2005.
- M. Grant and S. Boyd, "CVX: Matlab software for disciplined convex programming, version 1.21," ../../cvx, Apr. 2011.
- M. Grant and S. Boyd, "Graph implementations for nonsmooth convex programs," in Recent Advances in Learning and Control, ser. Lecture Notes in Control and Information Sciences, V. Blondel, S. Boyd, and H. Kimura, Eds. Springer-Verlag Limited, 2008, pp. 95-110, http://stanford.edu/∼boyd/graph dcp.html.
- S. Boyd and L. Vandenberghe, Convex Optimization. Cambridge University Press, 2006.
- D. Andrea, Battery Management Systems for Large Lithium Ion Battery Packs, 1st ed. Artech House, 9 2010.
- Gain-Scheduled Control of Modular Battery for Thermal and State-of-Charge Balancing * *The work was supported by the Chalmers Energy Initiative. vol.49, pp.11, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifacol.2016.08.010
- Electro-thermal Control of Modular Battery using Model Predictive Control with Control Projections vol.48, pp.15, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifacol.2015.10.053
- Comparative Analysis of Unipolar and Bipolar Control of Modular Battery for Thermal and State-of-Charge Balancing vol.66, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2016.2587720
- Cell Balancing Method in Flyback Converter without Cell Selection Switch of Multi-Winding Transformer vol.11, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2016.11.2.367
- Load Management of Modular Battery Using Model Predictive Control: Thermal and State-of-Charge Balancing vol.25, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1109/TCST.2016.2547980
- Evaluation of Advanced Control for Li-ion Battery Balancing Systems Using Convex Optimization vol.7, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2016.2600501