- Volume 13 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
6.6 kW On-Vehicle Charger with a Hybrid Si IGBTs and SiC SBDs Based Booster Power Module
- Han, Timothy Junghee (Global Power Electronics, Inc.) ;
- Preston, Jared (Global Power Electronics, Inc.) ;
- Ouwerkerk, David (Global Power Electronics, Inc.)
- Received : 2013.01.30
- Published : 2013.07.20
In this paper, a hybrid booster power module with Si IGBT and Silicon Carbide (SiC) Schottky Barrier Diode (SBDs) is presented. The switching characteristics of the hybrid booster module are compared with commercial Silicon IGBT/Si PIN diode based modules. We applied the booster power module into a non-isolated on board vehicle charger with a simple buck-booster topology. The performances of the on-vehicle charger are analyzed and measured with different power modules. The test data is measured in the same system, at the same points of operation, using the conventional Si and hybrid Si/SiC power modules. The measured power conversion efficiency of the proposed on-vehicle charger is 96.4 % with the SiC SBD based hybrid booster module. The conversion efficiency gain of 1.4 % is realizable by replacing the Si-based booster module with the Si IGBT/SiC SBD hybrid boost module in the 6.6 kW on-vehicle chargers.
- F. R. Kalhammer, H. Kamath, M. Duvall, M. Alexander, and B. Jungers, "Plug-in hybrid electrical vehicles: promise, issues, and prospects," Proceedings of EVS 24 International Battery, Hybrid and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle Symposium, pp. 1-11, May 2009.
- D. P. Tuttle and K. M. Kockelman, "Electrified vehicle technology trends, infrastructure implications, and cost comparisons," Journal of the Transportation Research Forum, Vol. 51, No. 1 pp. 35-51, 2012.
- K. Morrow, D. Karner, and J. Francfort, "Plug-in hybrid electrical vehicle charging infrastructure review," US Department of Energy Vehicle Technologies Program- Advanced Vehicle Testing Activity Annual Report, INL/EXT-08-15058, November 2008.
- A. Emadi, Y. J. Lee, and K. Rajashekara, "Power electronics and motor drives in electric, hybrid electric, and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 6, pp. 2237-2245, Jun. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.922768
- A. Elasser, and T. P. Chow, "Silicon carbide benefits and advantages for power electronics circuits and systems," Proceeding of IEEE, Vol. 90, No. 6, pp. 969-986, Jun. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2002.1021562
- F. Musavi, W. Eberle, and W. G. Dunford, "A high performance single-phase bridgeless interleaved PFC converter for plug-in hybrid electric vehicle battery chargers," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 47, No. 4, pp. 1833-1843, Jul. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2011.2156753
- J. S. Kim, G. Y. Choe, H. M. Jung, B. K. Lee, Y. J. Cho, and K. B. Han, "Design and implementation of a high-efficiency on-board battery charger for electric vehicles with frequency control strategy," in Proc. IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC'10), pp. 1-6, Sep. 2010.
- Md. M. Alam, W. Eberle, and F. Musavi, "A zero voltage switching semi-bridgeless boost power factor corrected converter for plug-in hybrid electric vehicle battery chargers," in IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), pp. 2625-2630, 2012.
- H. Tsai, T. H. Hsia, and D. Chen, "A family of zero voltage-transition bridgeless power-factor -correction circuits with a zero-current-switching auxiliary switch," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 5, pp. 1848-1855, May 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2053335
- F. Xu, D. Jiang, J. Wang, F. Wang, L. M. Tolbert, T. J. Han, J. Nagashima, and S. J. Kim, "High temperature packaging of 50 kw three-phase sic power module," Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Power Electronics (ICPE) -ECCE Asia, pp. 2427-2433, May 2011.
- www.trinnotech.com, Trinno Technology IGBT datasheet of Part Number TGAN25N120ND, Jul. 1th 2012.
- D. Jiang, R. Burgos, F. Wang, and D. Boroyevic, "Temperature dependent characteristics of SiC devices: Performance evaluation and loss calculation," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 1013-1024, Feb. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2159624
- http://www.vishay.com, Vishay Si IGBT/ Si PIN booster power module datasheet of Part Number GB50LA120UX, Jul 22th 2010.
- www.microsemi.com, MicroSemi Si IGBT/ Si PIN booster power module datasheet of Part Number APT75GT120JU2, Nov. 3th 2009.