- Volume 13 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
New Isolated Single-Phase AC-DC Converter for Universal Input Voltage
- Lee, Ming-Rong (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Far East University) ;
- Yang, Lung-Sheng (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Far East University) ;
- Lin, Chia-Ching (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Far East University)
- Received : 2012.12.29
- Published : 2013.07.20
This paper investigates a new isolated single-phase AC-DC converter, which integrates a modified AC-DC buck-boost converter with a DC-DC forward converter. The front semi-stage is operated in discontinuous conduction mode (DCM) to achieve an almost unity power factor and a low total harmonic distortion of the input current. The rear semi-stage is used for step-down voltage conversion and electrical isolation. The front semi-stage uses a coupled inductor with the same winding-turn in the primary and secondary sides, which is charged in series during the switch-on period and is discharged in parallel during the switch-off period. The discharging time can be shortened. In other words, the duty ratio can be extended. This semi-stage can be operated in a larger duty-ratio range than the conventional AC-DC buck-boost converter for DCM operation. Therefore, the proposed converter is suitable for universal input voltage (90~264
Supported by : National Science Council of Taiwan
- J. Zhang, B. Su, and Z. Lu, "Single inductor three-level bridgeless boost power factor correction rectifier with nature voltage clamp," IET Power Electron., Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 358-365, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2011.0298
- Y. C. Kimy, L. Jin, J. Lee, and J. Choi, "Direct digital control of single-phase AC/DC PWM converter system," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 5, pp. 518-527, Sep. 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.5.518
- F. Tahami, S. Poshtkouhi, and H. M. Ahmadian, "Piecewise affine control design for power factor correction rectifiers," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 327-334, May 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.3.327
- L. Huber, L. Gang, and M. M. Jovanovic, "Design-oriented analysis and performance evaluation of buck PFC front end," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 85-94, Jan. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2024667
- V. F. Pires and J. F. Silva, "Half-bridge single-phase buck-boost type AC-DC converter with sliding-mode control of the input source current," IEE Electr. Power Appl., Vol. 147, No. 1, pp. 61-67, Jan. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:20000020
- M. Nagao, "A novel one-stage forward-type power factor correction circuit," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 103-110, Jan. 2000.
- K. I. Hwu and Y. T. Yau, "An interleaved AC-DC converter based on current tracking," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 5, pp. 1456-1463, May 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2010174
- C. A. Gallo, F. L. Tofoli, and J. A. C. Pinto, "Two-stage isolated switch-mode power supply with high efficiency and high input power factor," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 11, pp. 3754-3766, Nov. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2041735
- F. Q. Wang, H. Zhang, and X. K. Ma, "Intermediate-scale instability in two-stage power-factor correction converters," IET Power Electron., Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 438-445, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2009.0079
- Y. S. Lee and B. T. Lin, "Adding active clamping and soft switching to boost-flyback single-stage isolated power-factor-corrected power supplies," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 1017-1027, Nov. 1997.
- J. B. Kim, N. J. Park, D. Y. Lee, and D. S. Hyun, "A control technique for 120Hz DC output ripple-voltage suppression using BIFRED with a small-sized energy storage capacitor," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 190-197, Jul. 2005.
- A. Nasiri, Z. Nie, S. B. Bekiarov, and A. Emadi, "An on-line UPS system with power factor correction and electric isolation using BIFRED converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 2, pp. 722-730, Feb. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.911199
- H. Y. Li, H. C. Chen, and L. K. Chang, "Analysis and design of a single-stage parallel AC-to-DC converter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 12, pp. 2989-3002, Dec. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2023550
- J. J. Lee, J. M. Kwon, E. H. Kim, W. Y. Choi, and B. H. Kwon, "Single-stage single-switch PFC flyback converter using a synchronous rectifier," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 3, pp. 1352-1365, Mar. 2008.
- D. D. C. Lu, D. K. W. Cheng, and Y. S. Lee, "Analysis of a high-power-factor AC-DC converter with reduced current and voltage stresses," IEE Electr. Power Appl., Vol. 152, No. 4, pp. 943-952, Jul. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:20045150
- K. T. Kim, W. Y. Choi, J. M. Kwon, and B. H. Kwon, "A single-stage AC/DC converter with low voltage stresses and reduced switching losses," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 6, pp. 823-834, Nov. 2009.
- E. H. Ismail, A. J. Sabzali, and M. A. Al-Saffar, "Buck-boost-type unity power factor rectifier with extended voltage conversion ratio," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 3, pp. 1123-1132, Mar. 2008.
- M A. Al-Saffar, E. H. Ismail, and A. J. Sabzali, "Integrated buck-boost-quadratic buck PFC rectifier for universal input applications', IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 12, pp. 2886-2896, Dec. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2023323
- T. F. Wu and Y. K. Chen, "Analysis and design of an isolated single-stage converter achieving power-factor correction and fast regulation," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 46, No. 4, pp. 759-767, Aug. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.778230
- J. L. Lin, M. Z. Chang, and S. P. Yang, "Synthesis and analysis for a novel single-stage isolated high power factor correction converter," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I, Reg. Papers, Vol. 52, No. 9, pp. 1928-1939, Sep. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2005.852008