- Volume 13 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Primary Side Constant Power Control Scheme for LED Drivers Compatible with TRIAC Dimmers
- Zhang, Junming (College of Electrical Engineering, Zhejiang University) ;
- Jiang, Ting (College of Electrical Engineering, Zhejiang University) ;
- Xu, Lianghui (College of Electrical Engineering, Zhejiang University) ;
- Wu, Xinke (College of Electrical Engineering, Zhejiang University)
- Received : 2012.10.31
- Published : 2013.07.20
This paper proposes a primary side constant power control scheme for TRIAC dimmer compatible LED drivers. The LED driver is a Flyback converter operated in boundary conduction mode (BCM) to minimize the switching loss. With the proposed control scheme, the input power of the Flyback converter can be controlled by the TRIAC dimming angle, which is not affected by AC input voltage variations. Since the output voltage is almost constant for LED loads, the output current can be changed by controlling the input power with a given conversion efficiency. The isolated feedback circuit is eliminated with the proposed primary side control scheme, which dramatically simplifies the whole circuit. In addition, the input current automatically follows the input voltage due to the BCM operation, and the resistive input characteristic can be achieved which is attractive for TRIAC dimming applications. Experimental results from a 15W prototype verify the theoretical analysis.
- N. Narendran and Y. Gu, "Life of LED-based white light sources," J. Display Technology, Vol. 1, No.1, pp. 167-171, Sep. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/JDT.2005.852510
- J. Zhang, L. Xu, X. Wu, and Z. Qian, "A precise passive current balancing method for multioutput LED drivers," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 8, pp. 2149-2159, Aug. 2011 https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2104332
- N. Chen and H. S. Chung, "A driving technology for retrofit LED lamp for fluorescent lighting fixtures with electronic ballasts," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 588-601, Feb. 2011.
- X. Qiu, S.-C. Wong, and C. K. Tse, "Resonance-Assisted Buck Converter for Offline Driving of Power LED Replacement Lamps," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 532-540, Feb. 2011 https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2065242
- A. Tjokrorahardjo, "Simple TRIAC dimmable compact fluorescent lamp ballast and light emitting diode driver," in Proc. IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conf., pp. 1352-1357, 2010.
- D. Rand, B. Lehman, and A. Shteynberg, "Issues, models and solutions for TRIAC modulated phase dimming of LED lamps," in Proc. IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conf., pp. 1398-1404, 2007.
- L. Xu, H. Zeng, J. Zhang, and Z. Qian, "A primary side controlled WLED driver compatible with TRIAC dimmer," in Proc. IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conf., pp. 699-704, 2011.
- Energy Star Program Requirements for Solid State Lighting Luminaires Eligibility Criteria - Version 1.1, Dec. 19, 2008.
- D. G. Lamar, J. S. Zuniga, A. R. Alonso, M. R. Gonzalez, M. M. H. Alvarez, "A very simple control strategy for power factor correctors driving high-brightness LEDs," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol.24, No. 8, pp. 2032-2042, Aug. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2020900
- Q.C. Hu and R. Zane, "A 0.9 PF LED driver with small LED current ripple based on series-input digitally-controlled converter modules," in Proc. IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conf., pp. 2314-2320, 2010.
- D. Gacio, J. M. Alonso, A. J. Calleja, J. Garcia, and M. Rico-Secades, "A universal-input single-stage high-power-factor power supply for HB-LEDs based on integrated buck-flyback converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No.2, pp.589-599, Feb. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2046578
- J. Alonso, J. Vina, D. Gacio, G. Martinez, and R. Osorio Sanchez, "Analysis and design of the integrated double buck-boost converter as a high-power-factor driver for power-LED lamps," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 4, pp. 1689-1697, Apr. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2109342
- S. Huynh, M. Chen, C. Xiao, and M. Yu, "Primary side constant output current controller." U.S. Patent 2006/0285365 A1, Dec. 2006.
- M. Granti, "Regulating Output Current From A Primary side Power Converter by Clamping an error signal." U.S. Patent 2008/025965 A1, Oct. 2008.
- T.-y. Yang, C.-C. Li, and F.-C. Tsao, "Primary-Side Controlled switching regulator" U.S. Patent 2008/0136393 A1, Jun. 2008.
- S. Du, F. Zhu, and P. Qian, "Primary side control circuit of a flyback converter for HBLED," in Proc. IEEE International Symposium on Power Electronics for Distributed Generation Systems, pp. 339-342, 2010.
- M. Negrete, W. Gu, and Z Li, "Dimmer-Controlled LEDs Using Flyback Converter with High Power Factor," US 2010/0141177A1, Jun. 2010.
- H. Eom, C. Lee, T.Yang, and S. Yang, "Design optimization of TRIAC-dimmable AC-DC converter in LED lighting," in Proc. IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conf., pp. 831-835,2012.
- X. Xie, J. Wang, C. Zhao, Q. Lu, and S. Liu, "A Novel output current estimation and regulation circuit for priamry side controlled high power factor single-stage flyback LED driver," IEEE Trans. Power Electron, Vol. 27, No. 11, pp. 4602-4612, Nov. 2012 https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2190523
- J. Zhang, H. Zeng, and T. Jiang, "A primary side control scheme for high-power-factor LED driver with TRIAC dimming Capability," IEEE Trans. Power Electron,, Vol. 27, No. 11, pp. 4619-4629, Nov. 2012 https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2187341
- P. L. Huang, D. Chen, C. J. Chen, and Y. M. Chen, "An adaptive high-precision over-power protection scheme for primary-side controlled flyback converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 10, pp. 2817-2824, Oct. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2106223
- H. M. Pang and P. Bryan, "A stability issue with current mode control flyback converter driving LEDs," in Proc. IEEE International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conf., pp.1402-1406, 2009.
- T. Chern, L. Liu, C. Huang, Y. Chern, and J. Kuang, "High power factor Flyback converter for LED driver with Boundary Conduction Mode control," in Proc. IEEE Industrial Electronics and Applications, pp.2088-2093, 2010.
- 18 W single-stage offline LED driver, Application Note, AN3111, available at www.st.com
- Pulse-driven LED circuit with transformer-based current balance technique vol.101, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1080/00207217.2014.888780
- Design of a High-Precision Constant Current AC-DC Converter with Inductance Compensation vol.16, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.3.840
- Dimming-Feedback Control Method for TRIAC Dimmable LED Drivers vol.62, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2349871
- Long-Lasting and Highly Efficient TRIAC Dimming LED Driver with a Variable Switched Capacitor vol.16, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.4.1268
- A Double-Loop Primary-Side Control Structure for HB-LED Power Regulation vol.31, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2434994
- Oscillation effect of auxiliary winding in primary side regulated flyback converter vol.11, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/tee.22282
- A High-Precision CV/CC AC–DC Converter Based on Cable and Inductance Compensation Schemes vol.31, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2504584