- Volume 13 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Analysis and Implementation of a Half Bridge Class-DE Rectifier for Front-End ZVS Push-Pull Resonant Converters
- Ekkaravarodome, Chainarin (Dept. of Instrumentation and Electronics Engineering, King Mongkut's University of Technology North Bangkok) ;
- Jirasereeamornkul, Kamon (Dept. of Electronic and Telecommunication Engineering, King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi)
- Received : 2013.01.13
- Published : 2013.07.20
An analysis of the junction capacitance in resonant rectifiers which has a significant impact on the operating point of resonance circuits is studied in this paper, where the junction capacitance of the rectifier diode is to decrease the resonant current and output voltage in the circuit when compared with that in an ideal rectifier diode. This can be represented by a simplified series resonant equivalent circuit and a voltage transfer function versus the normalized operating frequency at varied values of the resonant capacitor. A low voltage to high voltage push-pull DC/DC resonant converter was used as a design example. The design procedure is based on the principle of the half bridge class-DE resonant rectifier, which ensures more accurate results. The proposed scheme provides a more systematic and feasible solution than the conventional resonant push-pull DC/DC converter analysis methodology. To increase circuit efficiency, the main switches and the rectifier diodes can be operated under the zero-voltage and zero-current switching conditions, respectively. In order to achieve this objective, the parameters of the DC/DC converter need to be designed properly. The details of the analysis and design of this DC/DC converter's components are described. A prototype was constructed with a 62-88 kHz variable switching frequency, a 12
- M.J. Ryan, W. E. Brumsickle, D.M. Divan, and R.D. Lorenz, "A new ZVS LCL-resonant push-pull DC-DC converter topology," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 34, No. 5, pp. 1164-1174, Sep./Oct.1998.
- I. Boonyaroonate and S. Mori, "A new ZVCS resonant push-pull DC/DC converter topology," 17th Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition, Vol. 2, pp. 1097-1100, 2002.
- D. H. Han, Y. J. Lee, W. S. Kwon, M. A. B. Rabee, and G. H. Choe, "Improving the overall efficiency for DC/DC converter with LoV-HiC system," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 418-428, May 2012. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2012.12.3.418
- A. Emadi, and S.S. Williamson, "Status review of power electronic converters for fuel cell application," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 133-144, Oct. 2001.
- J. M. Han, B. H. Jeong, J. S. Srok, and G. H. Choe, "Analysis of PWM converter for V-I output characteristics of solar cell," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 62-67, Oct. 2003.
- P. Thounthong, S. Raël, and B. Davat, "Control algorithm of fuel cell and batteries for distributed generation system," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 148-155, Mar. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2006.888028
- P. Thounthong, B. Davat, S. Raël, and P. Sethakul, "Fuel cell high power applications," IEEE Industrial Electronics Magazine, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 32-46, Mar. 2009.
- P. Thounthong, S. Raël, and B. Davat, "Energy management of fuel cell/battery/supercapacitor hybrid power source for vehicle applications," Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 193, No. 1, pp. 376-385, Jan. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2008.12.120
- B.R. Lin and L.A. Lin, "Analysis and implementation of a DC-DC converter with an active snubber," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 779-786, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.6.779
- M. Borage, K. V. Nagesh, M. S. Bhatia, and Sunil Tiwari, "Approximate equivalent-circuit modeling and analysis of type-II resonant immittance converters," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 371-325, Mar. 2012.
- D. Han, Y. Lee, B. Jeong, and G. Choe, "Multi-level resonant push-pull converter for fuel cell system," 8th IEEE International Conference on Power Electronics and ECCE Asia (ICPE & ECCE), pp. 1901-1907, 2011.
- B. R. Lin and S. J. Shen, "Interleaved ZVS resonant converter with a parallel-series connection," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 528-537, Jul. 2012. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2012.12.4.528
- C. L. Chu and C. H. Li, "Analysis and design of a currentfed zero-voltage-switching and zero-current-switching CL-resonant push-pull DC-DC converter," IET Power Electronics, Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 456 -465, Jul. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2008.0157
- J. M. Blanes, A. Garrigos, J. A. Carrasco, J. E. Marti, and E. S. Kilders, "High-efficiency regulation method for a zero-current and zero-voltage current-fed push-pull converter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No.2, pp. 444-452, Feb. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2061237
- Z. Yao, L. Xiao, Y. Huang, and W. Yang, "Push-pull forward three-level converter for high-voltage fuel cell applications," IEEE International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems, pp. 2698-2703, 2008.
- Y. Du, G. Wang, J. Wang, S. Bhattacharya, and A. Q. Huang, "Modeling of the impact of diode junction capacitance on high voltage high-frequency rectifiers based on 10kV SiC JBS diodes," IEEE International Conference on Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition, pp. 105-111, 2010.
- J. H. Jung, J. M. Choi, and J. G. Kwon, "Design methodology for transformers including integrated and center-tapped structures for LLC resonant converters," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 215-223, Mar. 2009.
- D. C. Hamill, "Class-DE inverters and rectifiers for DC-DC conversion," IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, Vol. 1, pp. 854-860, 1996.
C. Ekkaravarodome, A. Nathakaranakule, and I. Boonyaroonate, "Single-stage electronic ballast using Class-DE low-
$d\upsilon$/dt current-source driven rectifier for power-factor correction," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 10, pp. 3405-3414, Oct. 2010.
- C. Ekkaravarodome and K. Jirasereeamornkul, "Single-stage high-power factor electronic ballast with a symmetrical Class-DE resonant rectifier," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 429-438, May 2012. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2012.12.3.429
- A Novel Soft-Switching Battery Charge/Discharge Converter with Zero Voltage Discharge Function 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2482758
- A High-Efficiency Step-Up Current-Fed Push–Pull Quasi-Resonant Converter With Fewer Components for Fuel Cell Application vol.64, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2016.2638800
- Analysis and Design of a DC-Side Symmetrical Class-D ZCS Rectifier for the PFC of Lighting Applications vol.15, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.3.621