- Volume 13 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Analysis and Design of a Single-Phase Tapped-Coupled-Inductor Boost DC-DC Converter
- Gitau, Michael Njoroge (Dept. of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Eng., University of Pretoria) ;
- Mwaniki, Fredrick Mukundi (Dept. of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Eng., University of Pretoria) ;
- Hofsajer, Ivan W. (School of Electrical and Information Eng., University of Witwatersrand)
- Received : 2013.01.25
- Published : 2013.07.20
A single-phase tapped-inductor boost converter has been proposed previously. However, detailed characterization and performance analysis were not conducted. This paper presents a detailed characterization, performance analysis, and design expressions of a single-phase tapped-coupled-inductor boost converter. Expressions are derived for average and RMS input current as well as for RMS input and output capacitor current ripple. A systematic approach for sizing the tapped-coupled inductor, active switch, and output diode is presented; such approach has not been reported in related literature. This study reveals that sizing of the inductor has to be based on current ripple requirement, turns ratio, and load. Conditions that produce discontinuous inductor current are also discussed. Analysis of a non-ideal converter operating in continuous conduction mode is also conducted. The expression for the voltage ratio considering the coupling coefficient is derived. The suitability of the converter for high-voltage step-up applications is evaluated. Factors that affect the voltage boost ratio are also identified. The effects of duty ratio and load variation on the performance of the converter are also investigated. The theoretically derived characteristics are validated through simulations. Experimental results obtained at a low power level are included to validate the analytical and simulation results. A good agreement is observed among the analytical, simulation, and experimental results.
- C. Lee and Q. Zhao, "High-Efficiency, high step-up DC-DC converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 18, No.1, pp.65-73, Jan. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2002.807188
- A. Emadi and S. S. Williamson. "Fuel cell vehicles: opportunities and challenges," IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting., Vol. 2, pp.1640-1645, Jun. 2004.
- K. C. Tseng and T. J. Liang, "Novel high-efficiency step-up converter," IEE Proc.-Electr. Power Appl., Vol. 151, No. 2, pp.182-190, Mar. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:20040022
- D. A. Grant and Y. darroman, "Extending the tapped-inductor DC-to-DC converter family," Electronics letters, Vol. 37, No. 3, pp. 145-146, Feb. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:20010141
- D. A. Grant and Y. darroman, "Watkins-Johnson converter completes tapped inductor converter matrix," Electronics letters, Vol. 39, No. 3, pp. 145-146, Feb. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:20030040
- J. H. Park and B. H. Cho, "The zero voltage switching (ZVS) critical conduction mode (CRM) buck converter with tapped-inductor," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 762-774, Jul. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2005.850919
- K. Yao, M. Yeh, M. Xu and F. C. Lee, "Tapped-Inductor Converter for High-Step-Down DC-DC Conversion," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 775-780, Jul. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2005.850920
- J. P. Fohringer and F. A. Himmelstoss, "Analysis of a boost converter with tapped inductor and reduced voltage stress across the buffer capacitor," IEEE Industrial Technology Conf., pp. 126-131, 2006.
- N. Vazquez, L. Estrada, C.Hernandez, and E. Rodriguez, "The tapped-inductor boost converter," IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, pp. 538-543, Jun. 2007.
- J. J. Lee and B. H. Cho, "A novel high step-up zero-current-switching tapped-inductor boost converter," In the 8th International Conf. on Power Electron., pp.1869-1872, Jun. 2011.
- D. A. Grant, Y. Darroman, and S. James, "Synthesis of tapped-inductor switched-mode converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No. 5, pp. 1964-1969, Sep. 2007 https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.904215
- J. C. Yris, J. H. Calleja, A. C. Sanchez and L. H. Gonzalez, "Study of a family of buck-boost converter with tapped inductor for grid-connected photovoltaic systems," Electronics, Robotics and Automotive Mechanics Conference, pp. 581-585, Oct. 2010.
- H. F. A. Barberena, "Leveraging tapped-inductor architectures to increase power density of single and dual-polarity-output buck-boost converters," Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition, pp. 1447-1450, Mar. 2011.
- V. R. Tintu and M. George, "Tapped-inductor Technology Based DC-DC Converter," International Conference on Signal Processing, Communication, Computing and Network Technologies(ICSCCN), pp. 747-753, Sep. 2011.
- R. Balog, P. T. Krein, and D. C. Hamill, "Coupled inductors: A basic filter building block," in Proc., Electr. Mach. Coil Winders Assoc., 2000, pp. 271-278.
- Study on Improving Precision of Analysis of Boost Ratio and Power Efficiency of Tapped-Inductor DC-DC Converter Circuit vol.137, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1541/ieejeiss.137.687
- Recovery-Less Boost Converter with Saturable Inductor for Electric Vehicle Applications vol.135, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1541/ieejias.135.914
- Study on Boost Ratio of Tapped-Inductor DC-DC Converter Circuit with Considering Element-Resistance vol.136, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1541/ieejeiss.136.1162
- Design of a Nonisolated Fuel Cell Boost Charger for Lithium Polymer Batteries With a Low Output Ripple vol.30, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2014.2363088
- Soft-Switched High Voltage Gain Boost-Integrated Flyback Converter Interfaced Single-Phase Grid-Tied Inverter for SPV Integration vol.54, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2017.2752679
- Effect of inductor parasitic resistances on the voltage gain of high step-up DC–DC converters for electric vehicle applications vol.11, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2017.0361
- Analysis, Design, and Implementation of a High Gain Soft-Switching Bidirectional DC–DC Converter With PPS Control vol.33, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2017.2738705