- Volume 13 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Improved Space Vector Modulation Strategy for AC-DC Matrix Converters
- Liu, Xiao (School of Control Science and Engineering, Shandong University) ;
- Zhang, Qingfan (School of Control Science and Engineering, Shandong University) ;
- Hou, Dianli (School of Control Science and Engineering, Shandong University) ;
- Wang, Siyao (School of Control Science and Engineering, Shandong University)
- Received : 2013.01.15
- Published : 2013.07.20
In this paper, an approach to reduce the common-mode voltage and to eliminate narrow pulse for implemented AC-DC matrix converters is presented. An improved space vector modulation (SVM) strategy is developed by replacing the zero space vectors with suitable pairs of active ones. Further, while considering the commutation time, the probability of narrow pulse in the conventional and proposed SVM methods are derived and compared. The advantages of the proposed scheme include: a 50% reduction in the peak value of the common-mode voltage; improved input and output performances; a reduction in the switching loss by a reduced number of switching commutations and a simplified implementation via software. Experimental results are presented to demonstrate the correctness of the theoretical analysis, as well as the feasibility of the proposed strategy.
Supported by : Science and Technology Development Foundation of Shandong Province, Graduate Independent Innovation Foundation of Shandong University (GIIFSDU)
- J. L. Gao, T. Q. Zheng and F. Lin, "Improved deadbeat current controller with a repetitive-control-based observer for PWM rectifiers," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 64-73, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.1.064
- F. Wen, J. C. Jiang and H. P. Guo, "AC-DC converter based on matrix converter," Trans. of China Electro technical Society, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 129-131, Mar. 2009.
- D. J. Holmes and T. A. Lipo, "Implementation of a controlled rectifier using AC-AC matrix converter theory," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 240-249, Jan. 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.124596
- M. Venturini, "A new sine wave in sine wave out, conversion technique which eliminates reactive elements," in Proc. of Powercon 7, pp. E3/1-E3/15, 1980.
- J. Rodriguez, M. Rivera, J. W. Kolar and P. W. Wheeler, "A review of control and modulation methods for matrix converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No.1, pp. 58-70, Jan. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2165310
- A. Ishiguro, T. Furuhashi and O. Shigeru, "A novel control method for forced commutated cycloconverters using instantaneous values of input line-to-line voltages," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 38, No. 3, pp. 166-172, Jun. 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.87583
- X. H. Yang, X. J. Yang, Z. M. Zhang and J. G. Jiang, "Research on one-cycle control strategy of matrix rectifier," Trans. of China Electro technical Society, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 38-44, Feb. 2012.
- T. D. Nguyen and H. H. Lee, "Modulation strategies to reduce common-mode voltage for indirect matrix converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 1, pp. 129-140, Jan. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2141101
- H. Hara, E. Yamamoto and T. Kume, "Improvement of output voltage control performance for low-speed operation of matrix converter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 20, No. 6, pp. 1372-1378, Nov. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2005.857553
- J. C. Han and P. N. Enjeti, "An approach to reduce common-mode voltage in matrix converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 39, No. 4, pp. 1151-1159, Jul. 2003 https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2003.814554
- R. Vargas, U. Ammann, J. Rodriguez and J. Pontt, "Predictive strategy to control common-mode voltage in loads fed by matrix converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 12, pp.4372-4380, Dec. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2007016
- H. H. Lee and H. M. Nguyen, "An Effective Direct-SVM Method for Matrix Converters Operating with Low Voltage Transfer Ratio," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 2, pp.920-929, Feb. 2013.
- X. Zhang, C. Tong, S. Y. Yang, and Z. Xie, "Restraining common-mode voltage for two-stage matrix converter based on double space vector modulation," China Society for Electrical Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 18, pp. 33-38, Jun. 2010.
- R. K. Gupta, K. K. Mohapatra, A. Somani and N. Mohan, "Direct-matrix converter-based drive for a three-phase open-end-winding ac machine with advanced features," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 12, pp. 4032-4042, Dec. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2043045
- B. He, H. Lin and H. W. She, "Improvement in output voltage for matrix converter under narrow pulses," China Society for Electrical Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 27, pp. 42-47, Sep. 2009.
- X. W. Wang, H. Lin, J. Deng and H. W. She, "Optimization modulation pattern for space vector modulation method of matrix converter in practical application," China Society for Electrical Engineering, Vol. 31, No. 30, pp. 7-15, Oct. 2011.
- F. Bo, L. Hua, W. X. Wei and A. Xing, "Optimized Space Vector Modulation Patterns of AC-DC Matrix Converters," China Society for Electrical Engineering, Vol. 32, No. 33, pp. 7-14, Nov. 2012.
- D. T. Nguyen, H. H. Lee and T. W. Chun, "A carrier-based pulse width modulation method for indirect matrix converters," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 448-457, May 2012. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2012.12.3.448
- S. Ratanapanachote, J. C. Han and P. N. Enjeti, "A digitally controlled switch mode power supply based on matrix converter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 124-130, Jan. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2005.861197
- Y. K. Ping, D. Xiao, M.F. Rahman and M. N. Uddin, "Applying reduced general direct space vector modulation approach of AC-AC matrix converter theory to achieve unity power factor controlled three-phase AC-DC matrix rectifier," in Conf. Rec. IEEE IAS, pp. 1-7, 2011.
- A. Antoni and P. W. Wheeler, "Elimination of waveform distortions in matrix converters using a new dual compensation method," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 4, pp. 2079-2087, Aug. 2007.
- H. Wilfried and Z. Marcus, "Multi-Step commutation and control policies for matrix converters," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 24-32, Jan. 2003.
- N. Burany, "Safe control of four-quadrant switches," in Conf. Rec. IEEE IAS, pp. 1190-1194, 1989.
- One-Cycle Control Strategy with Active Damping for AC-DC Matrix Converter vol.14, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.4.778
- Modulation and control of ac/dc matrix converter for battery energy storage application vol.8, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2014.0426
- A Sliding Mode Control Design based on the Reaching Law for Matrix Rectifiers vol.16, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.3.1122
- A Control Strategy Based on Small Signal Model for Three-Phase to Single-Phase Matrix Converters vol.15, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.6.1456